Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Looking for some reasonable input and discussion. Hope I'm posting in the correct section. :)

So this week I intend to purchase a new Mustang GT or a Camaro SS. I could be biased since I grew up in a GM family (but not LOYAL and far, far from a FANBOY). Drove a 01 Z28 M6 for a decade, had a '10 Camaro SS M6 for a few years, then got rid of it and bought an economy car since I began to commute about 70-120 miles/day. The Camaro was fun but the visibility was my one gripe. I was at fault for an accident when changing lanes on the highway. Some guy was coming up behind me going 80+ and then jumped into the lane to the right of me just as I was changing lanes, and his left front bumper tapped my left rear bumper.

I'm tired of not having a fast car and after closely following the 2016 Camaro SS and Mustang GT, I might just flip a coin to determine which one I go with. I was set on the Camaro for the most part, but now I'm really considering the Mustang.....and yea, mostly because of VISIBILITY. :eek:

Mustang pros

Cheaper, which doesn't matter much to me
Non Direct-Injection engine. No carbon build-up is a good thing
I like the overall interior layout better
Better visibility (this could be the deciding factor)
I always wanted to own a Mustang at least once in my life

Mustang cons
I don't really love the styling. Initially I didn't care or the rear end, but now I find the front end to be even less likeable. Compared to the front end, the rear end is a lot more tolerable to me
Power
Handling
Gas mileage
Eats oil?
More new Mustangs on the road than Camaros
Feminine

Camaro pros
Exterior styling I like
Power
Handling
Magnetic damping
Better ride
Gas mileage (really doesn't matter to me, will be a weekend car)
A lot more feautures. NPP exhaust, heads up display
Better value for the money
More rare than Mustangs

Camaro cons
I don't like the interior layout as much as the Mustang
Poor visibility (this alone could be the deal-breaker!)
Costs more (not a major factor)
I don't know who told you the Mustang is feminine, lol. Now if we were talking about a VW beetle convertible in pink... Most of the women I see in Mustangs drive the V6s, but I also know of some with GTs. :headbang:

Mine uses no oil at all. I've had my GT for 10 months and the oil has been changed once at 5k. Didn't use any then. I have 8600 on it now and still no movement on the dipstick.

I don't see the power and handling as a negative either, however I would say that I was not wowed by anything other than the PP I bought.

Camaro:
Magnetic damping? Heck yeah!
Gas mileage? Not really something you should split hairs over if you are buying a performance car.
It will have more torque for sure.
Better value? Not in my opinion. I saw a loaded SS stickered at a tick under $50k.
The switchable exhaust sound is a cool feature too, along with rev match if you are into that sort of thing.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Their price is close. $30 for Mustang, $6.8 for S/C, $2 for labor, some extra since its ready to go, and provide room for negotiation.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/roush-r2300-phase-1-supercharger-15gt.html

http://www.cjponyparts.com/roush-supercharger-kit-phase-1-670hp-5-0l-2015-2016/p/421823/
He's got it right. If you *just* get the supercharger kit, and not the rest of the Roush doodads (visual mods, suspension, etc...), then it's pretty cheap, actually. The only thing I'd worry about with the car I posted is the half shafts. Not sure the stock half shafts can really handle that kind of power...

...but Ford still warrants it, so I guess it doesn't really matter. If you break one, you get a new one :). Or you could just buy a pair of DSS shafts off AM for cheap.

Sponsored

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Anybody here could go to the dealer and have a roush SC put on for about 5k. Nearly 700 to the wheels and a warranty

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... The only thing I'd worry about with the car I posted is the half shafts. Not sure the stock half shafts can really handle that kind of power...

...but Ford still warrants it, so I guess it doesn't really matter. If you break one, you get a new one :). Or you could just buy a pair of DSS shafts off AM for cheap.
I doubt Ford's power train warranty will remain valid. That's dealership value add. It may come with a Roush version of the power train warranty but that won't be as good as the original Ford 5 yr/ 50,000 mile warranty.

The OEM half shafts may hold since that car has the 18x8 all season tires, with somewhat less grip.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Anecdotally, I haven't noticed my car eating any oil (nor have I heard of that being any bigger of a problem here than on the SS). Plus, as I'm sure others have mentioned, for the price difference, you can *easily* make the GT as fast as the SS. Hell, just a better set of tires (and you'll eventually need new ones anyways) will do the trick. I also think the Mustang has a better interior in general. Visibility, aesthetic appeal, somewhat usable backseat...

I hadn't thought about gas mileage, though. That is a pretty legit Camaro advantage, all things considered.

But based on your pros/cons list it's clear you've already made up your mind, anyways, and may even be here just to subtly troll. Enjoy your Camaro, it's a great car.

EDIT: Just saw your post on the 3rd page, confirmed.

Last edited:

xfyre101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`15 CO PP GT
lol at the feminine part... and anyways if i saw a hot girl driving the same badass car i'm drive id find that extremely hot lol

Sponsored

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Last edited:

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
It isn't 5k. But I have seen it for 6k if you catch the online vendors at the right time with sales, discount codes, and sh*t. LMR, AM, etc... But then you still have to pay for the install unless you can do it yourself.

Some dealerships install it on new inventory cars, though, and you can finance both together and keep warranty.
But to keep the warranty doesn't it have to be by a certified person? And doesn't the warranty cost like an extra grand? I may be mistaken. This just means it raises the price quite a bit if true.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
But to keep the warranty doesn't it have to be by a certified person? And doesn't the warranty cost like an extra grand? I may be mistaken. This just means it raises the price quite a bit if true.
You would have to have the installation done by a Ford dealer. I've never heard about paying an extra grand for warranty, though. So far as I know, if an authorized dealer does it, and you use the Roush parts, there is no extra cost for the warranty.

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
Looking for some reasonable input and discussion. Hope I'm posting in the correct section. :)

So this week I intend to purchase a new Mustang GT or a Camaro SS. I could be biased since I grew up in a GM family (but not LOYAL and far, far from a FANBOY). Drove a 01 Z28 M6 for a decade, had a '10 Camaro SS M6 for a few years, then got rid of it and bought an economy car since I began to commute about 70-120 miles/day. The Camaro was fun but the visibility was my one gripe. I was at fault for an accident when changing lanes on the highway. Some guy was coming up behind me going 80+ and then jumped into the lane to the right of me just as I was changing lanes, and his left front bumper tapped my left rear bumper.

I'm tired of not having a fast car and after closely following the 2016 Camaro SS and Mustang GT, I might just flip a coin to determine which one I go with. I was set on the Camaro for the most part, but now I'm really considering the Mustang.....and yea, mostly because of VISIBILITY. :eek:

Mustang pros

Cheaper, which doesn't matter much to me
Non Direct-Injection engine. No carbon build-up is a good thing
I like the overall interior layout better
Better visibility (this could be the deciding factor)
I always wanted to own a Mustang at least once in my life

Mustang cons
I don't really love the styling. Initially I didn't care or the rear end, but now I find the front end to be even less likeable. Compared to the front end, the rear end is a lot more tolerable to me
Power
Handling
Gas mileage
Eats oil?
More new Mustangs on the road than Camaros
Feminine

Camaro pros
Exterior styling I like
Power
Handling
Magnetic damping
Better ride
Gas mileage (really doesn't matter to me, will be a weekend car)
A lot more feautures. NPP exhaust, heads up display
Better value for the money
More rare than Mustangs

Camaro cons
I don't like the interior layout as much as the Mustang
Poor visibility (this alone could be the deal-breaker!)
Costs more (not a major factor)

I don't play on modding whatever car I get. Could that change? Yea, especially if I go with the Mustang. I kind of want a low 12 second car. It would be nice if the car was faster than my stock '10 Camaro SS M6. It's not like I go around street racing, but I like to go to the drag strip maybe once or twice a year. Not sure what tranny to go with yet.....the Camaro I'd have no problem driving an auto, but with the Mustang I'd probably lean towards a manual GTPP. I want all the options......premium.

The other thing I want to get out of the way is how I really, really am tired of the fanboyism on both sides. Can that be kept out of this thread? Coming up with every reasons and justification for why one car is superior than the other is extremely lame. Legitimate bashing and hating on the other car/brand is pathetic. It's like some people's car/opinion is their identity. :crazy:

But I'd really appreciate some reasonable discussion, why you like and don't like about the Mustang, as well as the Camaro. Just try to keep it mature and civil please.

I'll be posting this exact message on the Camaro site if they ever let me join. I tried to join a while back and their administrator never approved my registration. :rolleyes::thumbdown:

Hancock
I am similar to you had an 01 SS and then moved to a 11 5.0

Unlike you I much more prefer the mustang styling to the new camaro.

I think you need to get the camaro, and upgrade your insurance.
Sponsored