Sponsored

A10 or Manual for Bad Weather Conditions?

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
I've driven a stick for the past 7 years and I love the fun of driving it and the control I have over the vehicle's power. I've taken my car through snow and many bad days and made it out safe.

However, going into work today was truly terrifying. The roads were pretty icy, which I understand no vehicle is good in, but even barely touching the pedal in 2nd or 3rd gear while basically idling forward at 10mph would nearly cause my car to fish tail. With how much power the 2018 will probably have, it's kind of scary thinking about now.

With the advent of the A10 and paddle shifting, would it be much safer / easier to control the power band vs. a 6-speed in weather conditions?
Sponsored

magnetic16gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
I have always found manuals to be easier to drive with the ability to manipulate the gearing for conditions.

Do you have snow tires on now? I'm in SE Michigan and haven't had much of a problem with traction/fishtailing since I've installed Blizzaks.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
... However, going into work today was truly terrifying. The roads were pretty icy, which I understand no vehicle is good in, but even barely touching the pedal in 2nd or 3rd gear while basically idling forward at 10mph would nearly cause my car to fish tail.
A/S tires or winter tires ?

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
winter tires didn't give me issues in Chicago winters. this will be my first stick I just ordered I have been told a stick Is way better for winter as you can control the gearing better

OP
OP

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
I just had to buy new A/S tires a couple months ago, but since I plan on selling the car come summer/fall, I was holding off on buying dedicated winter tires until my next Mustang.

I realize tires make a world of difference, but just wondering in general, if all the additional gears of an A10 would theoretically make it better than a 6-speed manual for gearing/power control.

Sponsored

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
the a10 you still cant make it start off in 2nd gear or anything like that as far as I know. my 15 was an auto and the 17 Im ordering will be a stick its just more fun

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I feel more confident with a manual as I can disconnect power immediately. But for icy conditions, I think tires is the main thing.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
the ability to start in 3rd to limit torque to the ground, disconnect power from the wheels completely and immediately, and the overall feeling of simply being more connected to the car makes bad weather driving much safer/easier.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's mostly tires, but the manual gives you more control, which I've found to be advantageous for winter conditions.

MagneticEco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
The premium with the auto have an wet/snow mode which I think starts it in 2nd and generally keeps it in higher gear and kicks traction control in overdrive. Pretty sure the premium a10 should have something similar.

Sponsored

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
Another vote for a manual here for the reasons listed above. Plus - tires. Tires. Seriously - I went through one storm with my DWS06 A/S since my winter wheels/tires hadn't arrived yet - the difference is night and day. And the DWS06 are one of the better rated A/S for snow... yeah, they still suck in the winter. Get the snow tires and wheels and keep them for the next mustang.

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I love and have driven almost all stick-shift cars, but...I feel more confident driving an automatic in snow. Perhaps it's just placebo, or maybe it just feels more sure footed because not having such a direct connection to the wheels means you don't feel like you're tip-toeing on ice. Having said that, I would imagine the snow/wet mode on this car would help quite a bit (I haven't tried it in snow yet, as I no longer live where it snows on a regular basis). Also, as everyone on here has suggested, invest in an extra set of rims and snow tires regardless of which transmission you're driving.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Obiviously anyone that owns a manual will try to sway you in that direction. Same for the auto crowd. In reality one offers no real advantage over the other. A little common sense goes a long way when driving in bad weather!

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
It doesn't matter that much to me. I've used both for many years. Depending on the gear pattern of a stick, sometimes it's faster to rock a vehicle with an automatic. But mostly it's all in positraction, good winter tires and what's between your ears.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I wouldn't expect an automatic to have any appreciable effect on your situation if you're as experienced with a manual transmission as it sounds like you are.

It'll come down to tires, throttle control, and gear selection. Two of those three are technically independent of transmission type. The third, you have more control over with a manual, even compared to an auto with paddles. Partly because most paddle-shifted automatics I've driven don't actually let you choose your exact gear. They just let you choose your maximum gear.

At worst (or at best?), I think it will make no difference.
Sponsored