Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
How can they diagnose a leaking evaporator then?
If no dye leaks are seen on any parts of the system that are visible, it means it's probably leaking where it can't be seen by leak dye.
Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I've lost count of how many fixes my Mustang has been in for (5 or more), but I'm blowing warm air again. If I refill the system with those cans, it lasts about two weeks before it blows warm again.

I'm just tired of taking it to the dealer for the same thing over and over again.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
What does the dealer do when you take it in? How many miles do you have on your Mustang?

Deleted member 35786

I've lost count of how many fixes my Mustang has been in for (5 or more), but I'm blowing warm air again. If I refill the system with those cans, it lasts about two weeks before it blows warm again.

I'm just tired of taking it to the dealer for the same thing over and over again.
Has your evaporator ever been changed, or the TSB performed on it?

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
I don't think there was a TSB at the time, but yes my evap core has been replaced once. I forget what the part number was that they put in, but I'm sure I made a post about it in this thread somewhere.

I've also had the compressor replaced, and other random fixes done (loose Schrader valves and whatnot).

Does this TSB you mention of include a more permanent fix?

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

I don't think there was a TSB at the time, but yes my evap core has been replaced once. I forget what the part number was that they put in, but I'm sure I made a post about it in this thread somewhere.

I've also had the compressor replaced, and other random fixes done (loose Schrader valves and whatnot).

Does this TSB you mention of include a more permanent fix?
There was actually two TSB's. One was for the entire evaporator core assembly and the other was just the core within the evap assembly. I think on mine they just changed the inner core, which is the newest update.

Here you go.
https://ford.oemdtc.com/3936/poor-air-conditioning-a-c-performance-2015-2017-ford-mustang

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
Hmm, interesting.

It's actually probably not my evaporator this time around. I have a whining sound coming at low to mid rpm. Immediately goes away when I turn the A/C off. Probably bad compressor again.

Deleted member 35786

Hmm, interesting.

It's actually probably not my evaporator this time around. I have a whining sound coming at low to mid rpm. Immediately goes away when I turn the A/C off. Probably bad compressor again.
I doubt if its the compressor... AC clutch perhaps.. Compressors rarely fail, they are just a shaft that spins an impellor internally to move the freon. Most of the time its the clutches that burn up or the bearings within them that give out from the constant engage/disengaging. Its unfortunate that most technicians always change the compressor when really the issue is the clutch itself.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This SSM was just released a few weeks ago. I’m not sure if this is applicable to the S550 unless someone can confirm the S550 has a EVDC A/C compressor:
99345FC2-FA0F-4E78-9DCA-9EDE42595D94.jpeg

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
Took my 2016 GT with 8500 miles in for an evaporator , schrader valve and case replacement. Dealer had my car for 3 days only to call me back and inform me the replacement part failed so now they have to do the job again. Now I will get my car back next week. Taking my dash apart again.....good times man.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
I know this is about the evaporator issue, but this is a very active topic about A/C issues
I'm saying my prayers I don't ever have the evaporator problem. lol

But do any of you guys have erratic fan speeds.. Mine seems to have a mind of it's own. If I put on high and then want to bring it back down it don't change.
I have to turn off and on the a/c a few times for it to blow the correct speed.

Any idea of what this could be?
Thanks

turbojay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT A10
I thought I was safe from the ac issue as my car was built in May/June 2017. The last time I read this thread those cars had the updated part on it. I parked it with 2911 miles on it in Oct 2018 due to work schedule and then winter. Finally had a chance to get it out on Friday 5/31 and I have no ac now. With the ac on I hear a noticeable hissing sound from the passenger floor board area, but only warm air comes out of the vents. I’m not sure what could have happened while it sat covered on jack stands in a heated garage. I’ve put close to if not 15k in parts on this car with about 4K in parts waiting to go on it. The thought of having the dealer pull out my dashboard has me really considering just returning this car to stock and selling it. I can’t stand the thought of someone working on my car. There very well might be a blue gen 3 whipple and a crap load of parts going up for sale with anywhere from 0 - 1200 miles on them.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
I thought I was safe from the ac issue as my car was built in May/June 2017. The last time I read this thread those cars had the updated part on it. I parked it with 2911 miles on it in Oct 2018 due to work schedule and then winter. Finally had a chance to get it out on Friday 5/31 and I have no ac now. With the ac on I hear a noticeable hissing sound from the passenger floor board area, but only warm air comes out of the vents. I’m not sure what could have happened while it sat covered on jack stands in a heated garage. I’ve put close to if not 15k in parts on this car with about 4K in parts waiting to go on it. The thought of having the dealer pull out my dashboard has me really considering just returning this car to stock and selling it. I can’t stand the thought of someone working on my car. There very well might be a blue gen 3 whipple and a crap load of parts going up for sale with anywhere from 0 - 1200 miles on them.
Take it easy its not the big deal dealer pulling out the dashboard it comes out as whole peace like 8 bolts holding it in place.
Sponsored

Last edited: