Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Which is why Ford needs a competitor against the Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ - 200-350HP small 2+2 sports car!
Imagine a Mustang the size and weight of the BRZ! Small 4.0L voodoo based V8 with around 350-400hp. That would be my dream Mustang!
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
They already have one with the base EcoBoost. Same price, better power, just bigger. Nobody wants to follow the 86/BRZ, combined the two only sold roughly 8,000 cars last year.
Because they are underpowered and overpriced.... I cross shopped a BRZ before buying my 2015 and for the same price I got a car with 100 more hp and 130 more torque and (IMO) a better interior. A mustang the size of the BRZ would be great IMO.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Please god no, don't give me a challenger-sized Mustang... Hell, the Challenger Hellcat Widebody puts down slower lap times than a current PP2! Why is Ford looking to move backwards in development?!

Looks like I'll be keeping my 18 for quite some time, and my next car will probably be a Corvette rather than a Mustang :sigh:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Please god no, don't give me a challenger-sized Mustang... Hell, the Challenger Hellcat Widebody puts down slower lap times than a current PP2! Why is Ford looking to move backwards in development?!

Looks like I'll be keeping my 18 for quite some time, and my next car will probably be a Corvette rather than a Mustang :sigh:
If the rumors are true, then it is money and design limitations that are the reason. Money becuase they want to place the mustang on a common platform (which I believe would be the first in mustang history beyond the platform sharing in the 60-70s with the cougar and the oddball mustang II with the pinto). Design limitations are due to the supposed inablility of the CD6 SUV platform to shrink to current mustang specs.

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
Whether it's bigger or not in external dimensions, if they can do so without gaining weight, or, perhaps, even make it LIGHTER, then maybe.

I certainly wouldn't mind possibly making the rear seats a little more useful. Or, on the opposite hand, offer a rear seat delete option. As they exist, they're good for a child, and maybe small adults. The rear seats are currently almost something of a polite fiction.

I know car manufacturers have done wonders getting more interior room into a car while shrinking the exterior dimensions.

Alternate plan:
Drop some weight for the next Mustang.

Want a bigger 2-door performance car with actually useful rear seats? Make it a separate car and call it a Ford Torino. Perhaps it can be offered in 2 and 4 door varieties.

Sponsored

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Interesting that there is no news/speculation about Camaro development. Could it be that Chev is going to kill the Camaro for now and wait for the Mustang to grow(pork out) and do battle with Challenger, then unleash a 2025-2026 all-new smaller Camaro and own the 'real' pony car segment? If they do it right and fix the visibility issues, come in at the 3400-3500 pound class, and bury the Mustang and Challenger at the track they would own the segment. :wink:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
As long as designers can maintain the Mustang mojo they've had going for several years now, the platform switch should be a non-issue. The coupe's real trick has been backing up those popular retro looks with excellent driving dynamics, and that latter benefit shouldn't be harmed. The pony car's chief designer told AutoNews that the next version will "be a strong, well proportioned vehicle," and that the behind-the-scenes parts sharing is "not going to bastardize Mustang."

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/08/28/ford-mustang-next-generation-delayed-2021/

As least this article quoted a Ford employee......

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Interesting that there is no news/speculation about Camaro development. Could it be that Chev is going to kill the Camaro for now and wait for the Mustang to grow(pork out) and do battle with Challenger, then unleash a 2025-2026 all-new smaller Camaro and own the 'real' pony car segment? If they do it right and fix the visibility issues, come in at the 3400-3500 pound class, and bury the Mustang and Challenger at the track they would own the segment. :wink:
That's because speculation doesn't start until CT5 and CT4 land. They define the platform that Camaro 7 will live on. CT5 is about to be shown at NYIAS. CT4 probably later in the year

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
That's because speculation doesn't start until CT5 and CT4 land. They define the platform that Camaro 7 will live on. CT5 is about to be shown at NYIAS. CT4 probably later in the year
I thought CT5 and CT4 were still using Alpha?

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
I thought CT5 and CT4 were still using Alpha?
Martin can confirm as he's knowledgeable on this stuff, but they'll launch on what will be called Alpha2.
You are both correct. There is debate as to whether Alpha2 is a "true 2nd gen" or a modest upgrade to Alpha. More will be known when CT5 and CT4 are acquired and studied.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I think the new chassis will be a compromise even if the Mustang does not grow. It's the same chassis that is under an SUV with totally different performance needs.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Imagine a Mustang the size and weight of the BRZ! Small 4.0L voodoo based V8 with around 350-400hp. That would be my dream Mustang!
Buy a BRZ with a blown motor and drop an LS or Coyote in it. There's been several swaps already, seems like a fun combo to me too.

Because they are underpowered and overpriced.... I cross shopped a BRZ before buying my 2015 and for the same price I got a car with 100 more hp and 130 more torque and (IMO) a better interior. A mustang the size of the BRZ would be great IMO.
I owned one for 2 years, they're great. If I didn't love Mustangs I probably would have put a supercharger on my BRZ and that would have solved my issues with the lack of power.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
If they do bump it up to a 113-116" wheelbase, that would place it near the old MN12 T-bird in size. Now, that was 3700 or so with a 4.6 V8. I know it would get heavier due to all the additional protection systems needed vs what was good for 97, but they could get it in the ballpark of 38-3900 or so.

That would actually be my ideal car. I owned a 97 T-bird and except for the lack of power (compared to today's cars), that was a really nice ride, and it handled pretty decently as well. Had a little wheel-hop under heavy acceleration, but the suspension wasn't bad. I did 100 miles back and forth to my job in that car, and it was a great highway cruiser. The only thing I wish I had done was to put the supercharger and of course, brakes on it.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
If they do bump it up to a 113-116" wheelbase, that would place it near the old MN12 T-bird in size. Now, that was 3700 or so with a 4.6 V8. I know it would get heavier due to all the additional protection systems needed vs what was good for 97, but they could get it in the ballpark of 38-3900 or so.

That would actually be my ideal car. I owned a 97 T-bird and except for the lack of power (compared to today's cars), that was a really nice ride, and it handled pretty decently as well. Had a little wheel-hop under heavy acceleration, but the suspension wasn't bad. I did 100 miles back and forth to my job in that car, and it was a great highway cruiser. The only thing I wish I had done was to put the supercharger and of course, brakes on it.
Not to hijack this thread but, I always wanted to put a coyote in a Mark VIII, and the shop where I went to get my car tuned after the header install was in the process of doing a coyote swap in a MN-12 bird. And on a side note, the 93 and later MK8's, birds and cougars use the exact same front spindle as the SN-95 mustangs, so any big brake upgrade designed for a sn95 will fit a 93 and later mn12. But the MN-12's used the smaller 4.25" lug pattern whereas the mustangs use the 4.5" pattern. So you either have to get custom rotors with the smaller pattern so you can keep your wheels or do a swap on the rear to go with the bigger mustang pattern and get new wheels, and from what I've read the rear swap to the big pattern is much more difficult, so your better off with custom rotors for the front to keep the small lug pattern.

Also, if they were to build a car the size of the MN-12's today with the current safety standards would weigh around 42-4300 lbs
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.