Sponsored

4-1/2 yrs of fun but have changed it up

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
After 4-1/2 years of an excellent ownership experience I traded in Shelby for a great deal on a leftover C7 Grand Sport manual.

Purchased Shelby in September 2015 and she was delivered in December. Main intent for the GT350 was 90% cruise and 10% track but over the last few years the ratio reversed to 90% track and 10% cruise; she is intoxicatingly fun on track. I will miss the 8250rpm howl and the refined quiet ride to and from the track. She never needed oil and never left me stranded.

Why move on? The warranty was coming due, there was a desire to move towards something lighter more nimble and a larger selection of used/aftermarket parts. Made a short list of cars and balanced $$$ vs. performance and the excellent deals on C7’s Grand Sports was too compelling to pass up.

Quick comparisons
ENGINE
Sound - VooDoo is an easy win vs the factory exhaust C7. I’ve heard long tube C7’s at the track and they sound excellent but looking to retain factory warranty so I’ll stick with the factory manifolds.
Torque - Lighter weight coupled with broad low torque curve makes the C7 a pleasure at near legal speeds. The GT350 torque curve never bothered me around town but for anyone whose primary purpose is street driving I could see the appeal of the LT1 vs the VooDoo.
Overall the pairing of the LT1 torque, low weight, and gear ratios make the C7 “feel” faster but having been on track with my 350 against many C7’s I know the cars accelerate about the same.

TRANS
Shifter - GT350 factory shifter is much better than the C7. Easy to direct it into each gear. The C7 has a rubbery feel and the 7-speed forces 3rd and 5th too close together. I’ll need to get muscle memory dialed in to prevent a money shift under acceleration on track from 4th to 3rd
Ratios - Prefer the pairing of the C7 torque and ratios for street driving.
Clutch take up- both cars have little feel for initial bite

STEERING
Feel - the GT350’s steering wheel is way more comfortable. However the C7 steering overall feels more direct with an immediacy that is not as present in the 350 but that’s not a surprise considering less weight, lower CG and smaller diameter wheel. Both have similar feel of the road surface through the steering wheel.

RIDE
Noise - the 350 is waaay more pleasant on long drives. Less noise intrusion and less drone when at low rpm
Suspension - both drive comfortably over bumps. The C7 GS has magnetic shocks so I was pleasantly surprised by its composure over sharp bumps.

INTERIOR and VIEW
Gauge cluster - center tach with speed readout for the C7 is nicer day will help with judging how well I execute corner exits.
Seats - I had the sofa seats on the GT350. The C7 standard GT seats hug better and are just as comfortable. I will miss the A/C seats on hot track days though.
Front View - C7 has a more commanding view and is easy to place the front corners
Side and Rear view - GT350 is the easy winner here. Left rear quarter view from the C7 doesn’t exist.

GT350 ownership was a wonderful experience and I have met many great people through this forum and expect to hang around to see all of the great experiences others are having (track days, road trips, sharing their car with family). I’ll always consider myself to be a part of this Mustang community and maybe one day in the future I’ll own one of these great cars again. For now I want to continue experiencing this wave of extremely fun, fast and track capable cars and build a bunch of great memories.

Stay safe and wish everyone the best during these trying times.
9A1047E9-9F5D-47FE-8F3F-A4B9D7D1ED78.jpeg
0635B85F-F669-46CE-B899-9E609A62309A.jpeg
89FD526E-A25E-4CFB-AB2F-9656118A9D25.jpeg
Sponsored

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Very informative summary, and gorgeous new ride! Enjoy!

Reactions: TDC

proeagles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT 350, 2019 BMW X3, 2019 Honda Civic
I will be one of the few that get why you went with the Grand Sport. They are great cars and you will be stunned at the gas mileage on trips. The cabin noise is higher due to the open cabin with the fast back. I hope you have better luck with the rattles and squeaks than I did with my vettes. The dealer could never get the damn top to stop making noises. If I wanted a convertible I would have bought one. They made the same mistake with the C8. Hopefully it will be better.

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Enjoyed your read of the comparisons between the two. Most of all congrats on a new ride!

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Good luck with the new ride. Definitely enjoyed sharing experiences over the past several years. You will be missed!

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
I went the opposite way. 2018 GS convertible M7 to a 2019 350.
I'm 6'3" so the GS interior was a little cramped. The seats sucked compared to the 350.
The trans is OK, but the shifter sucked. Change to an MGW is a must, but you'll hate the shift from 6-7 if you ever use it.
Keep an eye on those wide rear rims. They have been known to crack on the inside lip.
The exhaust sounded too European for my taste. They could've done a better job.
It was a pleasure to drive in the twisties, and the HUD (if you have it) was excellent (GT350 should have it)
It was my 3rd vette, but had to get rid of it due to back surgery and being 66 made it hard to get in and out.
Enjoy the car, I did, but for me the 350 is a better ride.
Gina11.JPG

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Congrats on the new ride! I think the GS is a great choice, especially if you aren't a tall person. They are just too small for me as my head almost touches the targa panel. No room for a helmet. IMO C7 Corvettes are really nice, though. I like the balance from having the transmission in the rear. I've also heard that the rims are a weak spot in the GS - so keep an eye on them especially if you are tracking or better yet I think the safest bet would be a set of aftermarket rims.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Also....Put PPF on the rear quarters. You'll regret it if you don't.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Congrats and good luck with your new vette!

TYAO=RH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP.
Congrats man, keep in touch with us on your ownership of the GS C7

Sponsored

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
ADA950FE-EECB-446A-9DC2-042DDCE03A4B.jpeg

Interesting comparisons. It has been almost two years since I sold my GS and it brings back good memories. They are are great sports cars and the ride/handling compromise is actually much better than the GT3 (although the latest GT3 closes that gap). I agree with the road noise coming into the cabin- there are a lot of solutions available to quiet it down, I went with a rear noise reducing mat. My GS was wrapped orange, I like to think Chevy saw it and made it an available option the next year, LOL. I had the comp seats with the Z07 package and the ceramic brakes- wow that had stopping power. Unfortunately it was just a place holder sports car between GT3’s. I really didn’t think I would like it as much as I did and wish I still had it. You could daily drive this car no problem, but ultimately it is a compromise being a low riding sports car. Until I drove the GT350R I thought it had a great manual transmission, but the Tremec in the R is just so much better. Enjoy the ride, they are great cars.

petstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT350 TP Magnetic w OTT Black Stripes
Congrats my friend, fantastic new ride and formidable track car.

I look forward to see you soon at the track !

OP
OP
TDC

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Thanks all for the good advice (aftermarket forged rims are planned) and the well wishes. I’ll look into that MGW shifter as you are right that the GT350 is way more precise with great feedback compared to the vette.

Petstang, here’s to hoping we have a track season this year!