4,000 Miles and Counting

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
It's been a busy 32 days since I took delivery. Hard to believe I have nearly 4,000 miles on the clock, but a trip to Boise from CA and a 78-mile-a-day commute will do that for you.

I am really settling in and feeling comfortable with the car. It has a LOT of power, and I am not used to that yet. Compared with a pre-11 GT, it's just in another world. The handling is sharp and secure. I am still looking for the "floatiness" all the journalists swore they felt in the non-PP GT. The ride is comfortable and well-controlled, not harsh. The car is solid, despite a little buzz somewhere in the driver's door that seems to be getting a bit louder. Speaking of comfort, it's just the best in that respect. The 68B leather seats support in all the right places, though there is a body size not much larger than my size 38 pants that would probably find the thighs pinch a bit.

I am really pleased with what I got for my Premium dollars. MFT, far from being a curse, has proven to be a very nice set of features. The screen is indeed hard to use on the fly, and I find myself using the voice control for complex stuff like nav destinations and switching from one FM station to another Sirius station. But that works, better than I'd imagined it might. You have to learn how it works, and not get mad because it doesn't work just like you wish it did.

The automatic is a good thing for me. Drive is lazy, soft-shifting and perfectly fine for slogging through traffic without bothering anyone. Sport is different from anything I have driven, blipping the engine on downshifts, holding gears like a fiend, and generally behaving like a stick shift operated by an unseen force. The paddles are fun when really screwing it down, but Sport mode is amazingly competent and good at making gear decisions.

Did I say the power is other-worldly? The car is so quiet and smooth that I often don't realize just how fast I am going. Have caught myself passing at 90 to 110 when I was thinking 75-80.

So what's not to like? Well, the sun visors are much too small, nearly useless. Sound quality on Sirius is terrible, about like an old cassette tape. On the other hand, CDs sound freaking amazing. Clear highs and tight bass that thumps the car on high volume. I like it a lot. (I have the 400A so no sub-woofers). The car is really big to me. I like the size of a Fox better ( a foot shorter and several inches narrower).

Biggest gripe: the fob. Really? Yup. The thing is huge, for starts. It is too big to ride comfortably in tighter jeans. But really, who decided to make the buttons so prominent? In all the years I have had fobs (back to 1988) I have never once set off the car alarm on accident. In this car, I have done it at least four times already. The steering wheel catches me on the right thigh, exactly where the fob tends to ride, and there we go. Really irritating, mostly because it's just careless design of the fob, after 25 years of doing a better job.

Gas mileage continues to be better than I expected, with commuting on secondary roads and up the mountain averaging about 22 mpg, and freeway driving returning 25-26 without trying hard.

Overall, I think I ordered a car pretty well suited to me. Truth is an EB would have been just fine, I think. Probably 90 percent of the time, an EB with the 200A package would be really hard for me to tell apart from my GT. That would have left me with even better milage and several thousand more in my pocket, but the value of the grin on my face when that Coyote starts to howl is hard to quantify. The car is the definition of "effortless power."

I set out to order a "Gentleman's Express," a term that has been used over the years to describe cars such as the Jensen Interceptor, the Jaguar XJS, the Aston Martin DB7 and others. I think I hit the mark.
Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I'm happy with the GT for a lot of reasons, not least the drool from strangers on the sidewalk seeing the "GT 50 Years" fake gascap.

Totally agree on the 68B being worth it and more.

aeropaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Awesome. I only managed a bit over 1000 miles in roughly the same time. It's really impressive how easily the Coyote goes from sedate and composed to snarling beast. I love it. And yeah, I got the 68B, it adds a really nice touch to the interior.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
It's been a busy 32 days since I took delivery. Hard to believe I have nearly 4,000 miles on the clock, but a trip to Boise from CA and a 78-mile-a-day commute will do that for you.

I am really settling in and feeling comfortable with the car. It has a LOT of power, and I am not used to that yet. Compared with a pre-11 GT, it's just in another world. The handling is sharp and secure. I am still looking for the "floatiness" all the journalists swore they felt in the non-PP GT. The ride is comfortable and well-controlled, not harsh. The car is solid, despite a little buzz somewhere in the driver's door that seems to be getting a bit louder. Speaking of comfort, it's just the best in that respect. The 68B leather seats support in all the right places, though there is a body size not much larger than my size 38 pants that would probably find the thighs pinch a bit.

I am really pleased with what I got for my Premium dollars. MFT, far from being a curse, has proven to be a very nice set of features. The screen is indeed hard to use on the fly, and I find myself using the voice control for complex stuff like nav destinations and switching from one FM station to another Sirius station. But that works, better than I'd imagined it might. You have to learn how it works, and not get mad because it doesn't work just like you wish it did.

The automatic is a good thing for me. Drive is lazy, soft-shifting and perfectly fine for slogging through traffic without bothering anyone. Sport is different from anything I have driven, blipping the engine on downshifts, holding gears like a fiend, and generally behaving like a stick shift operated by an unseen force. The paddles are fun when really screwing it down, but Sport mode is amazingly competent and good at making gear decisions.

Did I say the power is other-worldly? The car is so quiet and smooth that I often don't realize just how fast I am going. Have caught myself passing at 90 to 110 when I was thinking 75-80.

So what's not to like? Well, the sun visors are much too small, nearly useless. Sound quality on Sirius is terrible, about like an old cassette tape. On the other hand, CDs sound freaking amazing. Clear highs and tight bass that thumps the car on high volume. I like it a lot. (I have the 400A so no sub-woofers). The car is really big to me. I like the size of a Fox better ( a foot shorter and several inches narrower).

Biggest gripe: the fob. Really? Yup. The thing is huge, for starts. It is too big to ride comfortably in tighter jeans. But really, who decided to make the buttons so prominent? In all the years I have had fobs (back to 1988) I have never once set off the car alarm on accident. In this car, I have done it at least four times already. The steering wheel catches me on the right thigh, exactly where the fob tends to ride, and there we go. Really irritating, mostly because it's just careless design of the fob, after 25 years of doing a better job.

Gas mileage continues to be better than I expected, with commuting on secondary roads and up the mountain averaging about 22 mpg, and freeway driving returning 25-26 without trying hard.

Overall, I think I ordered a car pretty well suited to me. Truth is an EB would have been just fine, I think. Probably 90 percent of the time, an EB with the 200A package would be really hard for me to tell apart from my GT. That would have left me with even better milage and several thousand more in my pocket, but the value of the grin on my face when that Coyote starts to howl is hard to quantify. The car is the definition of "effortless power."

I set out to order a "Gentleman's Express," a term that has been used over the years to describe cars such as the Jensen Interceptor, the Jaguar XJS, the Aston Martin DB7 and others. I think I hit the mark.
Thanks for the review! Stop wearing hipster jeans!

BTW, I'm sure the EB would be fine for most of us, but there are a few on here saying the EB is not delievering the MPG that they thought and don't forget you have to run 93 in that thing, where you only take about a 1% HP hit in the GT running 87 so you aren't losing that much MPG after all. Also your GT will have a better resell value down the road.

And you cannot ever get that 10% back that you are talking about in a smile/wide faced grin. :D

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Well, I hit one month of ownership today and I still dont have 1K on the clock. I am glad things are going well and that you are happy with your purchase. I am as well. No regrets!
Sponsored