Sponsored

3.73 gears interstate behavior question

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
Another daily driven PP with 3.73s checking in....50 miles each day city/highway mix and no complaints. Mileage isn't horrible and on long trips cruising at 73, I've managed anywhere from 24-26 mpg. Had 3.55s in my 14 mustang and definitely prefer the 3.73s
Sponsored

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Unless your debt to income is outrageous and you haven't been paying on previous agreements 1K shouldn't make your credit score go up that much. I had a similar situation as you. If you know your score is that high you should be considered an excellent rating and your should be able to qualify for the best rates.

Ford was like 3 or 4% for their top tier rates to finance with them a month or so ago. My local credit union had MUCH better rates. I did a query to see what I qualified for, got the rate I wanted, and the loan paperwork was good for 60 days while I made a decision. Go ahead... get that financing together now so your stay on the lot will be shorter if they have a car you want! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info. I was giving it some thought because that 1k is the only debt I carry other than a mortgage most people would consider pretty small (the perks of living in BFE). Between the two of us our debt/income is like 11% and we have a decent savings and whatnot. I've actually suffered on my score in the past because I stopped using credit cards for so long the accounts were closed. For the past few years though I've used one for groceries and pay it off every month. I just didn't want the score to drop under 750 because I chose to pay it off before financing the car.

For the prefinancing would I just get approval for my max budget but be able to pay less if I want?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I drove on 3.73's on my 02' SS and 4.10's on my Scion FR-S. 3.73's are just fine. I would assume the GT's 3.73's are just fine as well judging by other's experience. 4.10's are pretty short though for first gear.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Lifetime for me so far is 19.4 MPG with 3.73s. 75% highway at 65-80MPG there'bouts. I'm a pretty light foot compared to most others in the Atlanta S550 club, for example, and have only really gotten on the thing a handful of times. Until I move closer to work in the next couple months, I will be milking every MPG I can get on my 26 mi. one-way commute. Anyway, in terms of MPG and long-term reliability... it's not that huge of a difference. The MPG drops with either ratio when you have to go up a hill, accelerate, and pass. Cruising along... almost insignificant differences.

That said, I'd rather have 3.55 because then I could hold gears a tad longer. I find myself staying in gears with my 3.73s a while but accelerating relatively slowly (like slower than the Toyota Corolla next to me) so that I don't have to - what feels like - immediately change from 1 to 2 to 3. So it sounds almost like I'm accelerating quickly because I go higher up the RPM range (just get there slowly) but really I'm doing the grandpa in a Caddy acceleration rate. IMHO, 3.73s are a bit "drag strip" for an every day commute that involves a lot of stop lights (like me, until I get to the highway), but, as noted above, I cope with it with the added benefit of using less gas. But others in the club who have 3.73s do not complain about that like I do... but my driving style is different than theirs, and I complain a lot (which I hate about myself, haha). I think 3.55 is probably more suited toward my "just a bit more than casually touring mountain roads" driving style, IMO, while still being enough to get up and go. But since changing to 3.55s is too expensive for what really is a "not for sure" outcome, I'm not going to bother.

But I wanted the Brembos, black wheels, etc...

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Thanks all. I'm not concerned about mpg. My tacoma averages about 17 as it is, so a GT will be an improvement..lol

I've kinda been weighing the options in my mind. The way I see it, my budget will get me a 2015 premium with relatively low miles or a 2016 standard with PP. Looks to me like the premium is basically just leather and MFT. My wife has MFT in her explorer and it's nice, but honestly I get annoyed trying to find what I need on there. If the standard dash setup will sync with my galaxy and I get a backup camera, I'll be happy.
6th is really tall, so you could argue that the 3.73's are BETTER on the interstate if you don't care about mileage.

The problem with the 3.73 is that they make 1st-5th a bit too low. Likely to require some extra shifting in autocross or at the track. And hurt potential top speed, as that is achieved in 5th.

But overall, the PP is the way to go if you ever want to track the car, even if you want to swap to a taller gear in the future.

Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
get a non PP car. But, get 3.55 gears. Then get 20 inch wheels to stiffen up the ride.

My car being non PP, I have never wanted or needed the PP brakes. Standard GT brakes were PP brakes from 11-14 cras, so they don't suck.

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
you may not need PP brakes, but they do look cool, particularly with an aftermarket wheel that has a more open 5 spoke design

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
get a non PP car. But, get 3.55 gears. Then get 20 inch wheels to stiffen up the ride.

My car being non PP, I have never wanted or needed the PP brakes. Standard GT brakes were PP brakes from 11-14 cras, so they don't suck.
What else is part of the PP. Is the suspension different or is it just 19" wheels, bigger brakes and the gears?

I do love the black wheels but I could always do that myself.

mada808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
What else is part of the PP. Is the suspension different or is it just 19" wheels, bigger brakes and the gears?

I do love the black wheels but I could always do that myself.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+comes+on+a+2016+performance+package+mustang+GT

just kidding:

The GT Performance Package includes:
• Strut-tower brace
• Larger radiator
• Unique chassis tuning
• Upsized rear sway bar
• Heavy-duty front springs
• Interior gauge pack (oil pressure and vacuum)
• K brace
• Brembo™ six-piston front brake calipers with larger rotors
• Unique 19” x 9”(F) 19” x 9.5” (R) Ebony Black-Painted Aluminum Wheels
• Optional 19”x 9”(F) 19” x 9.5” (R) Luster Nickel Aluminum Wheels
• 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R19(R) summer-only tires*
• Unique EPAS, ABS and stability control tuning
• 3.73 TORSEN® rear axle

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
the 20's come with the K brace which goes a long way to help stiffen things up. When you add that to the the 20" wheels, it feels like you have the stiffer sway bars and springs.

It is for sure not a PP car, but as close as you can get without having the 3.73 gears.

Sponsored

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
Speaking of freeway driving with a PP...
9b09dcb8e36c3a1266554768aa3d0dd5.jpg

This is the last leg of my trip this weekend. 80/85mph. Variable terrain, passes, mountains, etc.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Sweet. I'm gonna try to get the PP. there's one in Lexington brand new, black on black, for 29,704. Wish I was ready to buy. That's easily the best price I've seen on a 2016 PP

Last edited:

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
sweet deal. bawt my base GTPP with all weather mats as the only option for 32,700 back in november '14 and that was already 500 below invoice.

BiloxiFun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
Thanks for the info. I was giving it some thought because that 1k is the only debt I carry other than a mortgage most people would consider pretty small (the perks of living in BFE). Between the two of us our debt/income is like 11% and we have a decent savings and whatnot. I've actually suffered on my score in the past because I stopped using credit cards for so long the accounts were closed. For the past few years though I've used one for groceries and pay it off every month. I just didn't want the score to drop under 750 because I chose to pay it off before financing the car.

For the prefinancing would I just get approval for my max budget but be able to pay less if I want?

Please take this at a grain of salt as this was my situation and with my credit union. My FICO score or whatever was higher than what I had in mind because my credit union used a different company than what my credit card offers every month so you may have that going for you too. It was like 18 points higher.

Anyway! Back to you original question -- Yes. I did that. I asked for more than I financed. For my credit union, banks or other credit unions may be different, it was good up to that amount for 60 days.

Also I don't know if this is true (so please validate) if you wanted to see if your local dealer can you find you cheaper rated they will query like several lenders (or at least mine would have). I am uncomfortable with giving out my SSN so I didn't do that and was happy with the rate I got at the credit union -- anyway to my point, if you make a purchase within 90 days it shouldn't go against your credit score as multiple queries.. allegedly. Maybe there is a finance person that can confirm?

sk8erord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Performance Pack
I think it's within 2 weeks, not 90 days.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Sponsored