Sponsored

3.73 gears interstate behavior question

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
If you have the 3.73 gears, how does it perform on the interstate? I saw a recommendation for those with a longer commute to avoid the 3.73.Is that just because of gas mileage, or is it long term wear and tear due to higher RPM?
I think its just gas mileage and engine noise. Taller gear lets the engine run slightly lower RPM with less engine noise at highway speed. Not sure what the difference is. 0.5dB ?

The main issue with PP is that they come with summer tires, and they don't come with a spare tire. Although now that its spring, summer tires are good. You might be able to get a spare but I haven't seen any photos here. And many people don't care about spare tires. Spare tire is probably not needed that much anymore with TPMS.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I think its just gas mileage and engine noise. Taller gear lets the engine run slightly lower RPM with less engine noise at highway speed. Not sure what the difference is. 0.5dB ?

The main issue with PP is that they come with summer tires, and they don't come with a spare tire. Although now that its spring, summer tires are good. You might be able to get a spare but I haven't seen any photos here. And many people don't care about spare tires. Spare tire is probably not needed that much anymore with TPMS.
I'm a drummer and firearms enthusiast, so the db is no big deal. My Tacoma sounds like a wind tunnel as well.

What exactly would a summer tire be vs a non summer tire? I'm keeping my truck so there's no plans to drive the mustang in the snow and I'll probably avoid rain. With those covered, is there a problem driving it in cold weather otherwise?

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
if it gets cold, you should be on A/S tires, and if it gets really cold, or cold with snow / ice, you should be on winter tires. Mustang has the LSD / Torsen, so if the rear tires break traction the car can slide easier than a car or truck with open differential.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
if it gets cold, you should be on A/S tires, and if it gets really cold, or cold with snow / ice, you should be on winter tires. Mustang has the LSD / Torsen, so if the rear tires break traction the car can slide easier than a car or truck with open differential.
Ah..I see. Thanks.

Sponsored

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I like 3.73 gears on the highway. I can overtake without downshifting to 5th gear

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
San Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
I'm not really up to speed on mods these days. If I go with something cat back, would I pick up some HP? Can I bypass the CC without voiding the warranty? There are no vehicle inspections in KY (other than someone looking at it for a moment when first registering it) so I'm not concerned about failing.

I want a real deep, throaty idle and a smooth rev. The ones I've liked the best have a clean, gradual acceleration sound as opposed to just going all squirrely after a couple thousand RPM. The ford racing borla is a perfect example of deep and smooth.
If you get a quality catback im sure you will pick up some HP but it will be very small numbers and not noticeable (talking a few horses to the wheels). The best thing about a cat back system is deleting the stock resonator which is super heavy. The weight reduction will help you in terms of speed more than the very small HP gains you will get from a catback.

If you want to get headers and delete cats, H pipe (better for deep tone and less rasp than and X pipe) with the back end system you choose will be your best bet for performance gains. As far as warranty....adding these will not automatically void warranty. That being said if something happens and they determine it could have been caused by the mods they can deny that repair.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
If you get a quality catback im sure you will pick up some HP but it will be very small numbers and not noticeable (talking a few horses to the wheels). The best thing about a cat back system is deleting the stock resonator which is super heavy. The weight reduction will help you in terms of speed more than the very small HP gains you will get from a catback.

If you want to get headers and delete cats, H pipe (better for deep tone and less rasp than and X pipe) with the back end system you choose will be your best bet for performance gains. As far as warranty....adding these will not automatically void warranty. That being said if something happens and they determine it could have been caused by the mods they can deny that repair.
I thought there would be more hp increase. I watched a Gibson video with dyno testing and it added 18 at the wheels.

bmcgc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT convertible
IMO 3.73s are to low on a DD. Great for a 1/4 mile car, but gas mileage and wear and tear will definitely suffer with 3.73s vs 3.55s.

This is my first adventure with a 6 speed transmission, manual and automatic. That extra gear more than makes up for one drop in gar ratio.

The 2.73s in the 2015 convertible with a 3.7 run 1600 rpm at 75 mph and deliver 28 mpg.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

Sponsored

paul123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
IMO 3.73s are to low on a DD. Great for a 1/4 mile car, but gas mileage and wear and tear will definitely suffer with 3.73s vs 3.55s.
wear and tear ? 3.73 will run the engine extra 200 RPM or so in 6th. For the ultimate low RPM highway cruising, you would need one of the 8-10 speed automatic transmissions.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
San Juan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP

cjj237

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Guard
I like 3.73 gears on the highway. I can overtake without downshifting in 6th gear
I was just raving about this with a friend on a ride. It's so ridiculous. And you're not even really lugging the engine to do so.

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
The premium also includes the sequential directional signals which is good for about an extra 100 H.P. Looks DYNOmite!

Fleeger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 401a Auto 3.31's
I don't know about the S550 with 3.73's but my 13 with 3.73's does just as good as my auto with 3.15's. The biggest thing is to stay between 65-70 mph on interstate.
Sponsored