Sponsored

2019 New 6-speed Owner...Can I talk about the clutch please...

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
So I'm taking delivery of my 2019 Mustang tomorrow (plan to post a thread with pics and my experience). I took the car for a short ride today. BTW, the vehicle is BEAUTIFUL.

Is the Steeda (or other brands...?) clutch assist spring basically mandatory for these cars? I have driven multiple stick shifts in my life, had my last 6-speed Mustang for 7.5 years, but with the short drive with my 2019 GT today, it made me feel like I was either going to stall it out, or just lunge forward into a wall... no in between. I felt very little confidence taking it from a stop into first gear to turn onto a road with traffic. The middle engagement point of the clutch felt like the pedal was just pushing back up at me in an unnatural way.

There was only 5.8 miles on the car when I got it, so I understand if there's a break in period. But it just kind of worried me that I'm such a stick shift veteran, and I now I'm getting into a brand new car and feel as if I need to take it to an open, empty parking lot to learn on again.

Anyone have some constructive feedback? My friend who knows more about cars said a new spring can help with the "middle" feeling, but that the strong stock spring will help with the fully pushed in feeling. Not sure what to do here.
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
The clutch feels really light. I have about 1,400 miles on mine now. I bought a Steeda clutch spring and perch, but I haven't installed it yet. I've gotten use to the really light feel, and really don't mind it. Others who have installed the softer spring have said it improves the feel.

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
It's been over 8 years since I drove a manual, and mine arrived today. Stalled it leaving the dealership, but I know what you mean. Stalled it one other time in stop and inch forward traffic.

After installing jacking rails abd swapping tires, I put a few miles on it tonight, sometimes I'd call it passable for the shifts, other times, I feel like I'm giving the impression of someone with a learning permit.

There is a happy zone, just it's closer to full engagement than I'm used to and it bites quickly in that zone. I'm sure I'll get used to it or it may get less grabby as it breaks in a bit...

OP
OP

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
It's been over 8 years since I drove a manual, and mine arrived today. Stalled it leaving the dealership, but I know what you mean. Stalled it one other time in stop and inch forward traffic.

After installing jacking rails abd swapping tires, I put a few miles on it tonight, sometimes I'd call it passable for the shifts, other times, I feel like I'm giving the impression of someone with a learning permit.

There is a happy zone, just it's closer to full engagement than I'm used to and it bites quickly in that zone. I'm sure I'll get used to it or it may get less grabby as it breaks in a bit...
Wow you basically said how I feel. Like I could stall it out. Like I seem as if I have a learning permit. And that it really does bite quickly at engagement. I have ordered the Steeda spring. But I hope I get used to the stock clutch. My mind already has wandered to the winter/snow months when you really want something less aggressive.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I'm a long time manual driver and the found the factory spring on my 2017 difficult to gauge the engagement point consistently, there's not much feedback or "feel". The Steeda spring is a nice improvement at little cost and effort to install it. Give the Steeda a try if you find the factory spring squishy and soft.

Sponsored

lowatts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
There're a few threads around here about loose or substandard connection of the hydraulic clutch line at where it connects to the brake booster. Steeda makes a fix for it if I recall. Air was getting in the line and that was causing inconsistent clutch actuation at times, and that could explain why sometimes we do a decent job shifting and other times not so good. Worth looking into this plus maybe getting rid of the factory helper spring.

Reactions: Why

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
MT82 clutches have 0 pedal feed back, and that's the real problem. I tried the Steeda 35lb clutch assist spring, and it doesn't do anything to increase pedal feel, just makes the pedal heavier.

You'll learn over time to drive it smoothly, it's just an issue with Ford's hydraulically assisted Mustang clutch.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
MT82 clutches have 0 pedal feed back, and that's the real problem. I tried the Steeda 35lb clutch assist spring, and it doesn't do anything to increase pedal feel, just makes the pedal heavier.

You'll learn over time to drive it smoothly, it's just an issue with Ford's hydraulically assisted Mustang clutch.
You're in the vast minority here. Almost every person I've spoken with in person or on this forum who's removed the factory assist spring and either left it or put in the steeda spring noted immediate and dramatic improvement to the clutch feel. I just did it on a friend's car two weeks ago and he was blown away by the improvement. I too struggled when I first got my car, and also have been driving manual a long time. As soon as I removed that spring, instantly better. The steeda spring retains 90% of the feel improvement but makes the pedal a tad lighter than no spring. Also ensues the pedal stays up no matter what is going on.TThere are two threads in this forum with hundreds of responses saying "I wish I'd done this sooner! It's so much better" or some variation of that.

Summary: remove that stock assist spring

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
i had the steeda one for a bit .. it does the job.. but i just deleted the whole spring and it feels like a normal clutch now

Sponsored

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Back in 2016 when I was shopping around, I test drove a Mustang at the local dealer. The clutch feel was horrible, exactly as you and others describe it. Not only was the engagement point hard to feel, the clutch grabbed almost all the way out, making it difficult to drive smoothly and very easy to stall. Lucky for me I could not reach a price agreement with the dealer, and went to another to start the buying process over again. The next Mustang I test drove was perfect. The clutch felt great, the engagement point was close to the floor, and you could totally feel it engaging. I ended up purchasing this Mustang.

I then started reading all the topics on this forum of folks concern with the clutch feel and engagement point. How some were popping out the clutch pedal spring, and then Steeda came along with a replacement spring. Seems that a number of owners have a Mustang like mine, which has a fantastic clutch feel from the factory. But there are a large number of owners that experience what I did on my first test drive car. I feel for those with the funky clutch experience, I know exactly what its like, and it zaps a lot of the joy of a manual car when the clutch is grabby, numb, and with a high engagement point.

Last edited:

esco11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Back in 2016 when I was shopping around, I test drove a Mustang at the local dealer. The clutch feel was horrible, exactly as you and others describe it. Not only was the engagement point hard to feel, the clutch grabbed almost all the way out, making it difficult to drive smoothly and very easy to stall. Lucky for me I could not reach a price agreement with the dealer, and went to another to start the buying process over again. The next Mustang I test drove was perfect. The clutch felt great, the engagement point was close to the floor, and you could totally feel it engaging. I ended up purchasing this Mustang.

I then started reading all the topics on this forum of folks concern with the clutch feel and engagement point. How some were popping out the clutch pedal spring, and then Steeda came along with a replacement spring. Seems that a number of owners have a Mustang like mine, which has a fantastic clutch feel from the factory. Buy there are a large number of owners that experience what I did on my first test drive car. I feel for those with the funky clutch experience, I know exactly what its like, and it zaps a lot of the joy of a manual car when the clutch is grabby, numb, and with a high engagement point.
Wow, that's great luck.
I had the opposite experience, the first car I test drove had a great feeling clutch with a low engagement point. Would have gotten it if the dealer hadn't felt like playing games that day.
Unfortunately the car I ended up has much higher engagement point. Swapped out the clutch spring and it made it reasonable.
Glad I came across your post though, I had borderline thought I was just going crazy and was not remembering it right.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Dunno.....

I'm looking at a Mcleod twind-disc clutch, although for another reason all-together, and supposedly they have a much better engagement.

scottycameron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 Orange Fury
I drove with the spring delete for a few days while waiting for my Steeda, I actually preferred no spring. The Steeda did remove the 1/4" of slop that was present with no spring so I'll keep the Steeda installed.

BTW-I only ordered the spring and reused the stock spring holder assembly. I say save yourself the $60 and buy just the spring.
Sponsored

Last edited: