Sponsored

2018 Mustang Undercarriage

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
It is not plastic. It is a composite as it is infused with carbon fibers for strength.
I was joking, kinda. Composite is just that, composite - more than one materiel put together to make something. Usually in the common parlance that means some polymer mixed with some strengthening agent which might be carbon fiber or might be fiberglass or something else. But composite could be boron honeycomb with carbon fiber overlay and aluminum skin. Most "plastic" parts on cars could reasonably be described as composite.

I guess my point is that "composite" is usually just a fancy word for plastic unless they tell you what kind of "composite" it is.

I do kind of wonder why. I have a hard time imagining that it is cheaper than a stamped steel oil pan. Maybe easier to mold the internal baffles as one piece.
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
But how would they get the base GT to handle as good as the old GTPP without changing a thing? There had to have been something changed somewhere.
magneride + springs?

BluFlash5x8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 5.0 LX, 2012 GT500, 13' GT500, 13 & 14 5.0...
Figured some folks, particularly those who manufacture parts or want to move parts from their current S550 to a 2018 might be interested in this.

Notable is the active exhaust solenoid and a composite oil pan similar to the GT350.

I got to sit in one as well and the subtle improvements to the interior are great. The new base steering wheel is MUCH nicer (thicker, leather feels less like loose vinyl, no texture, etc...) also really digging the metal accent pieces that are no longer chrome.
Unfortunately the car has gained 45-70 lbs extra weight. And out west where we have 91 fuel or less, (ford rates power on 93/94 octane, why is crazy because nobody else does), we get 448-450 hp on 91 fuel, leaving us 10-12 ponies shy of the Cam SS and far to little of a lb-ft torque incerase, that'll not really help the 0-60 performance and the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires are such a terrible choice. Hence the name 4 Seasons. It's an all-season tire made more for summer. I'd rather have the old Pilot Super Sports. They are much grippier.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
But how would they get the base GT to handle as good as the old GTPP without changing a thing? There had to have been something changed somewhere.
Did they specify by how much? Don't drink the Koolaid. It's marketing gimics. It could have went 2ms faster and to them that's not a lie so they sell it. Just a different tire will make a difference. More dialed in shocks/springs/tires, probably good for at least 5 tenths of a second or more on curves.

Sponsored

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Rear Diff Cover may be the 350 Cover. Not sure. Would be better to simplify production. Has an Axle Oil Temp Sensor. Appears to include Fittings for Cooler Package.

Active Exhaust Solenoids are different from the 350's. Different shape and have the variable settings. 350 was only Open or Closed.

Springs are Counterwound on the Right Rear, like the 350, but at the Performance Pack Ride Height instead of the lower 350 height.

Front Spindles are the same as before. 350 Spindles would require changing the lower Control Arms and the Tie-Rod Ends.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Do base GT's come with PS4S tyres? If so I guess that alone could be responsible for lapping that a GT PP on Pzero?

Otherwise if they got a base to go lap faster than a GT PP, well I'd like to know how, unless its simply down to power from the new engine and engine response.

Maybe they were comparing GT Base 10 speed to GT PP 6-speed auto. I am sure between the more powerful engine and superfast 10-speed would be enough to lap faster a Base GT compared to the outgoing GT PP.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
There are many complaints about the active exhaust on some car forums. The butterfly valve is apparently rattling with changing temperatures on the exhaust and causing a headache on constant throttle highway drives. Anyone had an experience like that?
What are you talking about? What "active exhaust"?

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
What are you talking about? What "active exhaust"?
I guess he is just talking about active exhaust in general across several platforms/brands that use them. But still, how the hell would we know?:lol:

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
About time they updated/graded to the GT350 style oil pan/pump set up!

I wonder if swapping OPG's with that setup will make it as big of a PITA as it is on the GT350 when compared to the GT?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Note that the GT350 also has a composite oil pan. Added perk is that the "drain bolt" is not really a bolt.

Frankly, I can't think of anything cheaper than a regular ol' stamped steel oil pan.

The picture you linked was mine from the Voodoo powertrain reveal at SVT's headquarters back in summer of '15. Steel pans are indeed inexpensive and robust. The issue is you can't contour a single stamping like the GT350 composite piece as it has radiused "bulges" and sharp indentations in some areas that allowed maximum capacity in a very tight package.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Something else...zoom in closely on some of the OP's photos. I see a mass damper bolted to the rear/bottom of the MT-82 transmission at the crossmember. On the GT350, the weights add ~13lbs. They would not add these unless they had to. The latest bump in power may have raised the vibration threshold up a bit such that they needed these to calm things down to meet an acceptable NVH level.

bullittman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350 chassis 0387
Rear Diff Cover may be the 350 Cover. Not sure. Would be better to simplify production. Has an Axle Oil Temp Sensor. Appears to include Fittings for Cooler Package.

Active Exhaust Solenoids are different from the 350's. Different shape and have the variable settings. 350 was only Open or Closed.
Just to clarify on Gt350 exhaust, The toggle switch does switch to "open" or "Closed".When open, exhaust note is loud. When running in normal (Default) mode, as you apply throttle the exhaust will open gradually depending on how hard you accelerate.

Reactions: JWS

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
The new GT's are supposed to have an exhaust mode to keep the butterfly valves closed, for tracks like LS that have lower noise restrictions. That should be a item to be found on the GT350. . . . . still waiting.
Sponsored