Sponsored

2018 GT-Is an oil separator necessary?

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I have just under 5k miles on my 18. I have a passenger side JLT catch can/oil separator or whatever you want to call it. It has been on the car for about 600 miles.

After 600 miles of driving the car like I stole it (how I drive all of the time) my JLT can was about 1/4 full of oil/gas/whatever the fluid is.

No track days but 3 runs down the 1/4 mile at Houston Raceway Park. So only some very aggressive, running the car hard, 600ish miles of street driving. The can is tilted in an attempt to show the level but it did not pic well.

So, needed or not? I don't know. I do know that mixture did not end up in the intake. Instead it went into my oil recycle bin.
IMG_0915.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Benefits are no oil dilution, no octane dilution, clean intake. Downside is $139, 1 minute to install, 1 minute to empty every 1K miles. OP, it's your choice. Necessary? No. Worth it (which was the OP's original question)? IMO, absolutely.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Agreed with the rest. Necessary, No. Cheap improvement/better, Yes. I have always run them and had to empty them from time to time. Better to have this oil removed then coating your intake and being ingested by the engine and reducing the overall octane of your fuel slightly.
Sponsored