Sponsored

2018 FS / STP build. What should I do?

svtsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I daily drive my car, and have put 2500 miles on it since Nov. 27 when I got it. I have ran in FS. I still have lots to learn, but I want to do a few things that will probably take it out of FS. I was leaning toward STP, as I can change the springs, and use caster camber plates to have a dedicated track setup and a "low tire wear" street setup. My plan was to have the alignment shop do 2 setups and mark everything so that I can change it back and forth myself. I will probably run the performance pack wheels on the street w/ the stock Michelins, and get another set of wheels / tires for autocross days.

I have been reading over the SCCA rulebook, and I am not sure what all I should do to maximize the STP rules.

So far, this is what I want to do:

• 18x10 front wheels w/ p275/35zr18 BFG rival s
  • 18x11 rear wheels w/ p315/30zr18 BFG rival s
  • Springs
  • Steeda caster / camber plates
  • Steeda front lateral links w/ extended ball joints
  • Steeda bumpsteer kit
  • Front and rear sway bars / bushings / billet mounts
  • Adjustable sway bar links
  • Steeda adjustable toe links
  • Steeda vertical links w/ polyurethane bushings
  • Steeda rear diff bushing lockouts
  • Steeda subframe alignment kit
  • Steeda IRS bushing support kit
  • Steeda camber arms (are the adjustable ones legal?)
  • Are rear subframe support braces legal? (Steeda or BMR CB005)

Are all of these items legal for STP? Is there anything else I should do? What sway bar should I go with? Right now the only spring options are the Ford performance & Eibach, but I know Steeda has some on the way soon.
Sponsored

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Run 18x11 at all 4 corners with 315/30R18 BFG rivals. Below they can get you the correct offsets to run but you will need APR extended studs

https://maxcyspeedco.com/collections/s550-mustang

Get a good set of coilovers for it. EDIT: errr just saw you have magnaride nvm I'm not sure what options are out there for that

I would get vorschlag's plates

Steeda bumpsteer kit
Front and rear sway bars / bushings / billet mounts

I have steeda lube the shit out of the bushings like where it squishes out and don't overtorque, you will need to tap the holes as ford are idiots and use blue loctite on everything and also to reach the rear hole on the driver side you need to remove the alternator.

Adjustable sway bar links (Full tilt boogie works great)
Steeda adjustable toe links
Steeda vertical links w/ polyurethane bushings
Steeda rear diff bushing lockouts
Steeda subframe alignment kit
Steeda IRS bushing support kit
Steeda rear camber adjuster don't get the arm not needed.

This would be a solid STP build that isn't too crazy.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely go 11" wide in the front (square setup). It will save you tire wear as you can rotate wheels and front end grip will be improved.

I'd go Vorschlag or MM camber plates instead of the Steeda.

Also, consider the CAM-C PAX is nearly identical to STP and its even more wide open for mods. CAM might allow you to have a tuner reconfigure your Magnaride to better match lowered, stiffer springs (instead of swapping to good and expensive coilovers), and in CAM you can worry a bit less about what suspension mods and braces are allowed, because just about anything goes.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, considering that it's 0.815 (STP) for 0.816 (CAM-C), if the budget allows, go for CAM-C, which is almost anything goes as [MENTION=19933]NightmareMoon[/MENTION] stated.

Sponsored

OP
OP

svtsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I will go with the 315's in front, didn't know they would fit. I guess the wheel offset is the key.
I was leaning towards STP, because I don't plan on flashing the ECU at all, as I don't want to give the dealer any reason to hassle me if I have a power train related issue. This being the first year of the new engine and trans, you never know what might pop up.
What is so much better about the vorschlag plates that they cost double?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Of course, you could simply leave it FS legal while you focus on learning to drive it well. Then you don't have to wonder if the setup is optimum compared to the other cars in the class. :D

Did I mention that I like FS? ;)

OP
OP

svtsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Of course, you could simply leave it FS legal while you focus on learning to drive it well. Then you don't have to wonder if the setup is optimum compared to the other cars in the class. :D

Did I mention that I like FS? ;)
That's the plan. I will run 4-5 more events in FS. I just don't think I can adjust the camber back and forth myself before & after events for FS. I drive it quite a bit, so chewing up tires would be an issue for me.
I want to lower it, so that will take it out of FS. While I have the suspension apart to do the springs, I'll do the rest at the same time. I probably wont do anything until summertime. Drag race season starts March 17th. I drive someone else's altered & my own dragster, which keeps me busy. The dragstrip takes a summer break here, since it get so hot. That's when I plan to do everything. I just want to start gathering parts.

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
Cmon hang out in FS with me I need the competition. :)

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Be sure to study the Street Touring rule section carefully before you buy stuff. I'm pretty sure half your list is not legal in the class.

OK 18x10 front wheels w/ p275/35zr18 BFG rival s
OK 18x11 rear wheels w/ p315/30zr18 BFG rival s
OK Springs
OK Steeda caster / camber plates
Not OK Steeda front lateral links w/ extended ball joints
Not sure Steeda bumpsteer kit
OK Front and rear sway bars / bushings / billet mounts
OK Adjustable sway bar links
Not OK Steeda adjustable toe links
Not OK Steeda vertical links w/ polyurethane bushings
Not OK but gray area with poly lockouts Steeda rear diff bushing lockouts
Not OK but use them to center subframe then remove them one at a time. Steeda subframe alignment kit
Not OK Steeda IRS bushing support kit
Not Ok because of bushing rules Steeda camber arms (are the adjustable ones legal?)
Not OK Are rear subframe support braces legal? (Steeda or BMR CB005)

Low hanging fruit for a 15-17 GT in STP is obviously wheels and tires, springs and shocks, adjustable sways, but then you gotta fix 2nd gear with rear gear and rev limit especially with going to 315/30/18s. Beyond that is weight reduction stuff.

Sponsored

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Be sure to study the Street Touring rule section carefully before you buy stuff. I'm pretty sure half your list is not legal in the class.

OK Springs
Not OK but use them to center subframe then remove them one at a time. Steeda subframe alignment kit
Not Ok because of bushing rules Steeda camber arms (are the adjustable ones legal?)

Low hanging fruit for a 15-17 GT in STP is obviously wheels and tires, springs and shocks, adjustable sways, but then you gotta fix 2nd gear with rear gear and rev limit especially with going to 315/30/18s. Beyond that is weight reduction stuff.
18s don't have the 2nd gear issue

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yeah, considering that it's 0.815 (STP) for 0.816 (CAM-C), if the budget allows, go for CAM-C, which is almost anything goes as [MENTION=19933]NightmareMoon[/MENTION] stated.
Almost anything goes classes are fun. Until everyone else starts taking advantage of those allowances and you realize your car is woefully under prepared.

I agree with Steve that a lot of the "stop the hop" stuff is not ST legal.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
That's the plan. I will run 4-5 more events in FS. I just don't think I can adjust the camber back and forth myself before & after events for FS. I drive it quite a bit, so chewing up tires would be an issue for me.
I want to lower it, so that will take it out of FS. While I have the suspension apart to do the springs, I'll do the rest at the same time. I probably wont do anything until summertime. Drag race season starts March 17th. I drive someone else's altered & my own dragster, which keeps me busy. The dragstrip takes a summer break here, since it get so hot. That's when I plan to do everything. I just want to start gathering parts.
If lowering is important to you then obviously FS won't work.

FYI the amount of negative camber you can get in FS won't be a wear issue if you keep toe close to 0. Been there done that for many thousands of miles in my 2015. What chews up the tires is autocross. :D

OP
OP

svtsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT

OK Springs

I re-read the rules for what seems like the 50th time, and have a couple questions. I do see where the rear toe links & vertical links cannot be changed.

It looks like I can change the diff bushings, as long as I don't add more metal, so the BMR would be within the rules right (without sleeved inserts), and the poly lockout kits should be legal as well?

On the rear camber arms, don't the stock PP arms use a bearing on the inboard side, and not a bushing? If so, wouldn't the non-adjustable from Steeda or BMR be allowed?

I see the subframe lockout kit being illegal due to the added metal, but what makes the alignment kit illegal, as they are delrin, which would just be added bushing material?

I don't see anything regarding the bump steer kit. Is there a way to contact SCCA for clarification on some of these items so I don't buy parts I cant use?

OP
OP

svtsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Cmon hang out in FS with me I need the competition. :)
I'll be at the event on the 18th, and plan on going to the rest this year. There are only a couple that clash with my drag racing. Who do I contact to reserve a number? I want to make magnetic instead of using vinyl.

If lowering is important to you then obviously FS won't work.

FYI the amount of negative camber you can get in FS won't be a wear issue if you keep toe close to 0. Been there done that for many thousands of miles in my 2015. What chews up the tires is autocross. :D
So for now, I can slot the struts 1mm, and get an alignment to maximize front camber, while maintaining 0 toe, correct? I don't plan on buying new tires until I wear these out, but then I plan on switching to the Bridgestones. What kind of street mileage can i expect out of them?
Sponsored