Sponsored

2018/19 Shelby GT500 Mustang Spotted! Twin Turbo V8 Powered? [UPDATED WITH VIDEO]

40calcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ty gtpp, 04 cobra
Not much different situation than the previous SVT cars. They sell every one they make and could sell more since the demand is there. You mention recouping development costs but altering the gt350 front end which wont be shared by the regular models just adds to that and then they only have 2 more yrs to recoup that (18/19 as you say). It's not ultra low volume supercar like a Ford GT that u have to apply for but it is like any other modern SVT vehicle which all have been 2-3 year runs.

Beyond the fact that no single SVT vehicle has had a straight 5 year run that I can recall I also dont see Ford letting the Hellcat and ZL1 get a free pass for the entire 6G.
07-14 gt500
93-99 cobra
99-04 lighting
Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I am completely amazed that some are taken off guard by a Twin Turbo V8. I just cannot believe it...

The Ford GT went with a TT V6 because of class limitations and mid-engine packaging/weight.

Ecoboost technology isn't limited to 4 or 6 cylinders, all that is needed is Direct Injection. The Coyote 2 will likely support DI as well as a Voodoo 2.

As long as the Mustang is racing, the Voodoo is here to stay. If the GT500 is IMSA GT or SCCA GT bound, a TT V8 is almost required.

thePill has been waving his hands over the possiblility of a twin turbo V8. Besides, what if it's NOT truly a TWIN TURBO but a Bi-Turbo V8??

Bi-Turbo...
I agree with the media. Based on the information thePill received, it will be a turbo. There are 3 turbo options.

Twin
Bi
Or Twin Scrolling Twin or Bi-Turbo (Parallel or Sequential. It will be over 750hp but based on the TT 3.5, a TT V8 should be over 150hp per liter. Now, at what displacement?

MSRP for $67k, stay under 4000lbs and no word on AWD at all. At least not now...

Mach 1 is a SC V8 engine and could be a GT option.

There are other prototypes running around. An NA, GT350-ish Mustang would be an R Package GT or MGTR. That is all that is required to deal with a camaro. An R Package GT, 10 Speed Auto for the GT and a GT500.

Checkmate...
Direct injection isn't required on the GT's 5.0 for a GT500 to have it. I say that because look at how vastly different Voodoo is - it's almost completely different to Coyote.

If they put so much uniqueness in Voodoo then rest assured they will not be borrowing any motor from any other car for the 500. They'll go all out on it in much the same way as they did with Voodoo.

Make no mistake, GT500 will have a completely dedicated engine, in the same vain Trinity was.

It won't be V6. Different application where the power level needs to exceed 662hp (and 707hp), in a large, heavy vehicle, means the V6 would be peaky and stressed. In the GT that's fine as the theme is reduced mass and compactness.

The sources I trust say it's a TTV8.

The reason for the large hood, though, raises a question: are the turbos nestled in the V?

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
Personally I'm not seeing much difference. Even the front bumper you can see the 2 triangles on either side, indicating there'll be that middle part or whatever. But hey, I'm new.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
The reason for the large hood, though, raises a question: are the turbos nestled in the V?
If you plan on owning one you should hope not. When I was at BMW we were putting turbos in the V8's all day. Even with multiple revisions to the auxiliary water pump system that was for the turbo's. It's a nice design to keep room in the engine bay also combined with liquid intercoolers but the high temps in the valley were detrimental to the turbo's and were constantly leaking oil from the seals. BMW has been doing it since 2009 and I left this past February and they just had another revision on the N63 for 2016. Don't know if it finally paid off but the turbo's remained in the valley. And that motoris a 4.4L. If Ford does a twin turbo V8 they have their work cutout for them if they aren't in the valley and choose to do an air/air intercooler. And if they do use BMW and Mercedes similar design the cost of the GT500 will be significantly higher then previous generations. Keep in mind for upgrading to larger turbo's space is restricted and the engine is reverse flow so you couldn't change much to location with reverse flow heads.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
No reason for them to stop producing it if the demand is still very high. They also have to produce it long enough to recoup the development costs. Unlike a extremely low-volume Halo car (Ford GT), they produce enough that they do have to make money on the Shelby. You'll see a GT350 through the last year of the S550, 2019.
I hope that they keep producing the GT350, but recouping cost IMO would have nothing to do with it. There's no reason Ford has to come out ahead on any one set of options on one particular car. They just have to come out ahead overall. I believe some cars like the Ford GT and the GT350 are built to improve Ford's reputation, which sells more F-150s and Focuses (Foci?).

Sponsored

69Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mach 1
Shelby GT500 Mustang - Other OEM's Using TT V8's

Because the whole point of ECOBOOST is having a low displacement/efficient engine... the whole reason to move from a V8. That's why I don't even understand why people think Ford would use TT on a V8. It makes sense frag a streetcar/drag perspective but no so much from a production perspective. There aren't many production cars making V8's with turbos...
Here a few OEM's using or will use TT V8's - Audi & Porsche will use a 4.0L V8 DI 2-TC ranging in power from +400hp to > 600hp. Mercedes will replace the 4.6L V8 & 5.5L V8 DI 2-TC engines with a 4.0L V8 DI 2-TC with power well over 600hp. The BMW M's use the 4.4L V8 DI 2-TC in two power levels and will use a 4.0L V8 DI 2-TC in China to avoid the displacement tax. And last, GM is expected to use a 4.2L V8 2-TC in the mid-engine Zora and Cadillac Sports Car with power ranging to ~600hp in a ~2,800lb package.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Personally I'm not seeing much difference. Even the front bumper you can see the 2 triangles on either side, indicating there'll be that middle part or whatever. But hey, I'm new.
Also you can make out a rounded halogen light like the current ones in that front shot. I'm assume maybe this isn't the final front end though in terms of lights, etc..because in that other camo we had months back the back was camo'd also.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Here a few OEM's using or will use TT V8's - Audi & Porsche will use a 4.0L V8 DI 2-TC ranging in power from +400hp to > 600hp. Mercedes will replace the 4.6L V8 & 5.5L V8 DI 2-TC engines with a 4.0L V8 DI 2-TC with power well over 600hp. The BMW M's use the 4.4L V8 DI 2-TC in two power levels and will use a 4.0L V8 DI 2-TC in China to avoid the displacement tax. And last, GM is expected to use a 4.2L V8 2-TC in the mid-engine Zora and Cadillac Sports Car with power ranging to ~600hp in a ~2,800lb package.
IN-S A N E!!

Satan

Overlord.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13' Boss.
They're smart waiting for the newest ZL1 release. Wait till the market is finished producing for a few years (hellcat,ZL1, Possibly Z06 competitor?) and pounce. Everything for is doing is screaming ecoboost aside from drag packs.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Why in the world would they put a supercharged engine in there?
That's soooooo 2004. I'd see that as a huge let-down/cop-out.

Ford has thrown all their eggs in the EcoBoost basket, I just can't see anything else but a TT V8. It makes too much sense.

I also thisk that it will be 5.2L or more. It can't be less displacement than the GT350.

There are few sure things in this world, one is that Ford is done with supercharging, and the other is that a GT500 has to have a larger engine than a GT350.

And you kidz can put down the AWD pipe. It's not hitting anymore.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP

cbass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
God
Vehicle(s)
2015 400a A6
Guys. It's a rotary, Ford realized that Mazda had their shit together in the late 80's and early 90's.
Sponsored