Sponsored

2017 GT350 - what coolant to use?

Mycelus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
Hey all. Apologies if this has been answered before. Looked around a bit but was reading the coolant type changed at some point.

I have a 2017 GT350. I'd like to fill the coolant soon and wanted to make sure I got the right type of coolant. What brand and type or mixture is recommended?

I looked at the manual and searched for VC-3DIL-B but looks like it's out of stock and not available anywhere.
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Attached are some references which may help.

Attachments

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Attached are some references which may help.
The GT350 comes from the factory with Orange coolant. Yellow has replace orange. So, while those documents are interesting, the one the OP is looking for is this one which leads with:

1685980428008.png

Attachments

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I have like 16 vehicles so using and stocking dedicated coolant for each of them would be a nightmare, therefore for the past 20 years I have been using Prestone All in all of them Without a single issue

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I have quite a few vehicles as well, plus heavy equipment. And completely get your point. But my Shelbys get oem recommended fluids no exceptions.

I have like 16 vehicles so using and stocking dedicated coolant for each of them would be a nightmare, therefore for the past 20 years I have been using Prestone All in all of them Without a single issue

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Just curious about your reasoning..
Prestone all not suitable?
Or you just want to use only factory fluid such as motor craft oil instead of mobil 1 for example ?
Btw some of those vehicles are motorcycles that push up to 150hp/liter and rev to 14000 rpms
… a lot more stressed aluminum engine than a car engine, being a voodoo or not

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Amsoil. Quality product, eliminate all the confusion, meets Ford spec.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Amsoil. Quality product, eliminate all the confusion, meets Ford spec.
Please stop drinking the Amsoil kool aid…and their MLM .
When was the last time you documented an engine failure due to a inferior engine oil…. ????
If i was you I would add some slick 50 to your Amsoil. That will guarantee that your engine will last 2 millions miles…. And even more if you add a nice set of SplitFire

Last edited:

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Please stop drinking the Amsoil kool aid…and their MLM .
When was the last time you documented an engine failure due to a inferior engine oil…. ????
If i was you I would add some slick 50 to your Amsoil. That will guarantee that your engine will last 2 millions miles…. And even more if you add a nice set of SplitFire
Mmmmmm...I think I'm good. Thanks for the tip though ;)

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
My last bike was a Tuono V4, and I started with a European speck Gsxr750 when they weren’t available in the states yet. Love bikes. Funny, always used Mobil 1 when I could and still do. Most don’t have a clue how Mobil 1 was vetted and chosen for the military back in the day. Pretty much the grandfather of synthetic fluids. Part of the reason I use oem coolants and fluids has to do with warranty's. Out of warranty I may switch but the cost difference doesn’t make a difference to me so it is what it is.

Just curious about your reasoning..
Prestone all not suitable?
Or you just want to use only factory fluid such as motor craft oil instead of mobil 1 for example ?
Btw some of those vehicles are motorcycles that push up to 150hp/liter and rev to 14000 rpms
… a lot more stressed aluminum engine than a car engine, being a voodoo or not

OP
OP
Mycelus

Mycelus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
The GT350 comes from the factory with Orange coolant. Yellow has replace orange. So, while those documents are interesting, the one the OP is looking for is this one which leads with:

1685980428008.png
A few questions. Do colors signify anything? Is it simply to tell them apart, or are orange antifreezes from different manufacturers all the 'same type'?

I have what looks like orange coolant in mine. If I mix in yellow, is that an issue? If so, what's the proper thing to do?

Does the coolant mix/max line apply when the coolant is cold and hasn't expanded, or do you have to refer to the fluid level once it's heated up and expanded?

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
A few questions. Do colors signify anything? Is it simply to tell them apart, or are orange antifreezes from different manufacturers all the 'same type'?

I have what looks like orange coolant in mine. If I mix in yellow, is that an issue? If so, what's the proper thing to do?

Does the coolant mix/max line apply when the coolant is cold and hasn't expanded, or do you have to refer to the fluid level once it's heated up and expanded?
Coolant level is when cold

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Ford stopped making the orange coolant and switched to yellow.

You can fully replace your coolant with the yellow coolant or use the yellow coolant to top off your current fluid. It doesn't matter if they mix.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

The color is just a way to tell one version of the coolant from another. That's it. As to the chemistry inside the jug, that' s all looked after if you use the Motorcraft fluids as advised to do so.

I did all this research on the coolants because my 2016 GT350 was due for a coolant change last fall, and when I did it, I made sure I was using what Ford recommends. There are lots of fluids available from other suppliers and I'm sure they're excellent. But, if I have to go and buy something, it's just as easy to buy Motorcraft as it is to buy anything else. My car is full of Yellow right now and it seems to be very happy!
Sponsored