Sponsored

2016 Engine HP increase?

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
If they came out with a 10 Spd I don't think there would be much stopping anyone from swapping it in nor do I think it would be too much work to do
There are a lot of possible implications to swapping in an all new transmission. I don't think anyone should buy the current model with the assumption that a swap to the new tranny later will be a simple matter.
Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
My goal is mod N/A 500 @ crank until i hit 60k miles then 2.9L gets slapped on

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Right there with you. Jesus, 435hp. From the factory. In a regular GT. That's more than enough to keep me happy, and I'll be sure to hop on the aftermarket to get a little more out of it if need be.
Agree, agree, agree!!!
Catback, tune and maybe a SC.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
If they came out with a 10 Spd I don't think there would be much stopping anyone from swapping it in nor do I think it would be too much work to do ... I say buy now... use aftermarket for the rest... UNLESS you're banking on the body refresh come 2018, but I'm not waiting that long for a car..
Oh hellz no I'm not waiting till 2018 for a body refresh.

I think they hit it out of the park with this one...usually mid cycle refreshes are worst.

I'd have no idea how to swap a transmission (and the cost I'm sure is expensive).

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I see a couple potential routes for larger changes to this car. One of which would be an Ecoboost V6 to replace the Coyote. A motor like that would almost certainly get better mileage than the V8 and provide very similar performance with a very flat torque curve. However, I think this may be a bit further down the line from than 17-18.

My bigger concern is them adding lightness, which I think is the much bigger possibility. F150 has gone 100% aluminum body. This is the way of the future for Ford, and this will trickle down to the rest of their lineup. For a car where one of the biggest gripes has to be weight, what better way to even up the odds to potentially lighter competition in 2 years than to make the rest of the body aluminum?

I'm sure Ford has several other ideas in mind based on what Chevy may do with the Camaro, but this to me seems a more probable scenario. Now that would stink for early adopters.

Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Making the rest of the body isn't as easy as ordering coils of aluminum instead of steel and running them through the existing dies. In the simplest scenario, aluminum doesn't form like steel, and it would require major retooling investment to make interchangeable parts out of aluminum. That doesn't account for any actual engineering that would have to go into a material change.

With F-150, nothing of significant structure is made of aluminum, since it still has a steel frame. The body merely bolts to it. On Mustang - and every other modern passenger car - the body is the structure, so in order to do what you propose, it would have to entirely redesigned. Ground up. It would be a 7th generation car at that point, even if it looked the same. The most they could do is reskin the car in aluminum - it already uses that for hood, deck, and fenders. They could potentially use it for door, roof and quarter skins, I suppose, but even that would require a fair amount of reengineering and would impact chassis structure. Plus, joining aluminum to steel in a stressed, structural manner (as it would have to be on a unit-body) isn't easy and is subject to corrosion issues.

I really don't see Ford going to an aluminum-intensive structure for Mustang any time soon. They have to be planning on building S550 for 5-6 years anyway, just to amortize the costs of developing and tooling it, especially since it is a stand alone chassis and has no platform mates to spread the investment around. Realistically, I imagine we'll see a refresh in a few years, but it would still be the same basic structure. There just isn't a lot of opportunity from the OEM side to reduce mass without reducing content, at least not until an M-7 is developed.

Netromancer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT
I actually thought about this before I placed my order, I have been a huge fan of the Coyote engine and I really wanted a Mustang with that engine. With the chance/rumor of an engine swap in 2016 I couldn't risk it and had to order the 2015.

The way I look at it, the Coyote in the 2015 is a tried and true power plant, it's been reworked/upgraded to the point of near perfection. I would rather have this engine over a brand new first year engine, even if that new engine produced more power.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I actually thought about this before I placed my order, I have been a huge fan of the Coyote engine and I really wanted a Mustang with that engine. With the chance/rumor of an engine swap in 2016 I couldn't risk it and had to order the 2015.

The way I look at it, the Coyote in the 2015 is a tried and true power plant, it's been reworked/upgraded to the point of near perfection. I would rather have this engine over a brand new first year engine, even if that new engine produced more power.
I'm more concerned about the 10s transmissions showing up in the 2016...and like you said I'd rather have a refined engine like the V8 Coyote.

Texican1911

Ford Certified Sales Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a Lightning Blue with Midnight Blue 20" wheels Safe & Smart, Active Exhaust, Shaker
Well, if you keep waiting because "next year or year after, it's getting this", you may find yourself waiting forever. There's always something more around the corner.
My baby brother said something similar about computers.

Right there with you. Jesus, 435hp. From the factory. In a regular GT. That's more than enough to keep me happy, and I'll be sure to hop on the aftermarket to get a little more out of it if need be.
I've got 345 from the factory, so I'm gonna lose 5-700# AND pick up 100hp before I leave the lot. I'd love the GT350 but with no D-Plan or rebates, no way I'd pay for that.

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
I am not seriously considering adding on a supercharger.....but......looking at the parts that got improved makes me think they beefed it up with that very thing in mind.
Why else would the need to beef up the block and internals that way?
Sponsored