Sponsored

2015 GT350R for sale......

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Hammered at $210K, reserve was lifted at $200k. YouTube TV won’t let me screenshot but I just went back and watched it
F0037 sold for less than what I had expected but selling for ~$168,000 over MSRP is still not too shabby for a vehicle that has over 6,000 miles on the odometer and is 9 years old.
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
F0037 sold for less than what I had expected but selling for ~$168,000 over MSRP is still not too shabby for a vehicle that has over 6,000 miles on the odometer and is 9 years old.
If I had to guess, the mileage probably held it back a bit. I watched the replay last night and Mecum didn’t really do a good job selling what the car really is either IMO. If I recall, the 2015 R’s were sold by invitation only, nothing was said about that. And they didn’t really explain that only 37 were made, the one on the block being the last one of that run. It’s probably all on the Mecum site but not everyone reads through all of that. Those that were bidding I’m sure know all that, but seems like they could’ve said more during the live auction. Still, a darn good price for the seller, not sure how much they paid for it but I’m sure less than they sold it for. Anyway, very cool to see as they don’t come up often.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Thanks for your feedback and perspective as what you described certainly makes sense with respect to Mecum doing a very poor job of marketing F0037.

Also agree that the mileage was a significant factor for the final price.

If I recall correctly F0037 sold for $148,000 at Indy in July 2020 therefore the owner made a ~$40,000 profit on this vehicle aside from his auction entry fee, transportation costs, etc.

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Can anyone share their experience or perspective in regards to Mecum vs Barrett Jackson? They both have a grandiose platform and both seem to beat the buyers and sellers up with fees. Aside from that, any major benefit to going with one versus the other?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Can anyone share their experience or perspective in regards to Mecum vs Barrett Jackson? They both have a grandiose platform and both seem to beat the buyers and sellers up with fees. Aside from that, any major benefit to going with one versus the other?
I will send you a PM. A friend of mine has experience with one of them

Sponsored

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
Alright, just got home from my trip to Indy. Had a great time! Was really kind overwhelmed with all the amazing cars that were there.

The highlight for me was this original 1969 GT40 Lightweight. In all white. Absolutely stunning. It didn't cross the block but they are advertising it for a auction later this year. One of the coolest cars I've seen in my life. Any ideas fellas on the hammer for that one?

20240517_120742.jpg

As for the feature car here for us, the 2015 GT350R. I got to see her up close and personal which was really cool. The hammer price did come in a little low at $210,000, (buyer fees puts it at $231,000 final price) but the car had some issues. It appeared the previous owner did not put the side styrofoam inserts in the side skirts. It looked like they drove it to Indy and then right up on the show room floor. I saw the car maybe an hour before it crossed and it had rocks just sitting on the side skirts along with the rear diffuser and inside the tail pipes. The rocker panels on each side had tiny rock chips which is very normal for this car. No PPF though. Also the spoiler had quite a few scratches / swirl marks.

I didn't spend a lot of time looking over the car as I was on the move trying to see all the other cars and I was trying to be in a seat when the R crossed, so I'm sure I could have found other things to point out.

Bottom line is the owner didn't do a great job getting this car ready to cross. Plus factor in the mileage and just mediocre presentation and I can understand why the car went lower than expected. FYI, the lady presenter does say this was not available to the public but no mention of it being #37 of 37 made.

20240517_121440.jpg

20240517_121508.jpg

20240517_121453.jpg

20240517_121543.jpg

20240517_121446.jpg

20240517_121653.jpg

20240517_121659.jpg

Still, I think that a $231k final price is pretty damn good.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Alright, just got home from my trip to Indy. Had a great time! Was really kind overwhelmed with all the amazing cars that were there.

The highlight for me was this original 1969 GT40 Lightweight. In all white. Absolutely stunning. It didn't cross the block but they are advertising it for a auction later this year. One of the coolest cars I've seen in my life. Any ideas fellas on the hammer for that one?

20240517_120742.jpg

As for the feature car here for us, the 2015 GT350R. I got to see her up close and personal which was really cool. The hammer price did come in a little low at $210,000, (buyer fees puts it at $231,000 final price) but the car had some issues. It appeared the previous owner did not put the side styrofoam inserts in the side skirts. It looked like they drove it to Indy and then right up on the show room floor. I saw the car maybe an hour before it crossed and it had rocks just sitting on the side skirts along with the rear diffuser and inside the tail pipes. The rocker panels on each side had tiny rock chips which is very normal for this car. No PPF though. Also the spoiler had quite a few scratches / swirl marks.

I didn't spend a lot of time looking over the car as I was on the move trying to see all the other cars and I was trying to be in a seat when the R crossed, so I'm sure I could have found other things to point out.

Bottom line is the owner didn't do a great job getting this car ready to cross. Plus factor in the mileage and just mediocre presentation and I can understand why the car went lower than expected. FYI, the lady presenter does say this was not available to the public but no mention of it being #37 of 37 made.

20240517_121440.jpg

20240517_121508.jpg

20240517_121453.jpg

20240517_121543.jpg

20240517_121446.jpg

20240517_121653.jpg

20240517_121659.jpg

Still, I think that a $231k final price is pretty damn good.
Thank you for your in-person inspection and thoughts regarding the consignment of F0037.

Based on a lack luster presentation by the consignor and mediocre marketing by Mecum Auctions the hammer price for F0037 reflected accordingly and resulted in a poor ROI for the most recent owner who purchased this 2015 GT350R from the original owner some 4 years ago at Mecum in Indy.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Have experience with both auction houses therefore if you want to discuss please send me a PM?

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
I think getting over 200K for a car that is identical to a 2016/2017 selling for less than half that simply because of a model year is pretty notable. I understand the rarity factor is cool, but it’s legitimately the same with car no “first edition” special goodies at all…so I don’t see the premium really getting much bigger than this over time, it’s just a model year. I think they missed an opportunity here to do something “extra” on the 2015s, even if subtle (diff color combos, special interior trim / badging, unique wheels), something that only this limited model year had…then they’d be through the roof. An to me, more than 2X a 2016 is already a huge delta!

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
I think getting over 200K for a car that is identical to a 2016/2017 selling for less than half that simply because of a model year is pretty notable. I understand the rarity factor is cool, but it’s legitimately the same with car no “first edition” special goodies at all…so I don’t see the premium really getting much bigger than this over time, it’s just a model year. I think they missed an opportunity here to do something “extra” on the 2015s, even if subtle (diff color combos, special interior trim / badging, unique wheels), something that only this limited model year had…then they’d be through the roof. An to me, more than 2X a 2016 is already a huge delta!
I agree 100%. If only the VIP status of the first ownership transferred with the car for purchase of future ford halo cars 😞😞

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
I hear you on all this. The one "big" thing is the chassis # Vin matching thing. The chassis doesn't have the R in it and that car's vin ends in 0037 which is kind of cool. 200k cool? Not sure about that but it definitely makes the car unique.

There are a lot of special Rs. Special cars amongst an already special car. The HE Rs like you have, the base cars, the 2015s, and any low low production color, Rapid and Race Reds.

Recently a 2017 Race Red with a black roof and 6k miles sold for 90k+. Then a 2017 white with blue stripes & much less mileage sold for 72k. 🤷‍♂️. Colors matter, chassis #'s matter, production quantity matters.

Obviously all speculative but it's still all interesting to me. I have an early production base car that Ford owned for it's first 25k miles. I feel it's special. High mileage, yes. But all the mileage was put on by a Ford implementation engineer while they were figuring out these cars over the production run. It's super valuable to me. But that might not translate to the rest of the world. Time will tell. Until then, I just enjoy driving it.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
There’s money in exclusivity. Given the 2015’s were sold by invitation only, there are some that have to have that piece of exclusivity. Fear of missing out so to speak.

The chassis number/VIN matching is cool, but I agree that it would’ve been cool if Ford/Ford Performance did a few other things for the limited, first release of a model that hadn’t been made in almost 50 years.

Still a very cool car and there are some that are still held by the original owners, those I would think would bring bigger money especially if they haven’t been driven much. Leno’s 2015 R would be interesting. He’s on record of saying he’ll never sell his and he does drive it so it’s got mileage on it. I wonder what happens to his collection when he eventually passes on. If they sell after he passes, I would bet his R would fetch good money. And some of it would be the cache of owning a Jay Leno car for sure, but some of it would also be that he was the only owner of that car.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
You brought up an interesting point with respect to Ford missing an opportunity to do something special for the 50th Anniversary 2015 GT350/R launch model such as possibly adding unique badging, trim, colors, wheels, etc. and like you I have given that scenario a great deal of thought over the years therefore here is my take on why that may not have taken place.

When it came to celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Mustang for the 2015 model year, I suggest that Dearborn made a conscious decision to focus solely on the 2015 Mustang GT model and deliberately left the 2015 Shelby GT350/R model as a new model launch and wanted that model to come without any special badging, trim, colors, wheels.

Also interesting to note that Ford did not build any pre-production (TT, PP, MP) vehicles for the launch of the 2015 Shelby GT350/R model year but the FRAP certainly made up for it with 95 pre-production units for the following 2016 model year.

All 2015 Mustang GT 50th Anniversary Limited Edition models (1964 units) came with many special features such as Wimbledon White paint, unique embroidered Mustang 50 Year Logo seats, door sill inserts, floor mats, dash plaque with chassis number that mirrored the VIN, Brembo brakes, rear louvered windows, faux gas cap, beautiful 19" alloy wheels, etc. and a special form fitted transport/shipping cover which I had never seen before for a Mustang.

Back in 1965 Shelby American was designing, engineering, building and marketing the 1965 Shelby GT350 out of Venice and LAX but just ~ 2 1/2 years later (August 1967) Ford terminated the SA operation in California and took complete control for the design, engineering, build and marketing for the 1968 GT350 and GT500 models and moved that process from LAX to A.O. Smith in Ionia, Michigan.

Based on the above scenario I suggest that Ford wanted all of the focus for the 50th Anniversary of Mustang to be centered solely around the 2015 Mustang GT Limited Edition model only with no emphasis being extended towards the 2015 Shelby GT350/R models which to my surprise was not even offered in their iconic exterior color of Wimbledon White along with Guardsman Blue OTT stripes.

DSCF0842.JPG

DSCF0854.JPG

DSCF0856.JPG

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
You brought up an interesting point with respect to Ford missing an opportunity to do something special for the 50th Anniversary 2015 GT350/R launch model such as possibly adding unique badging, trim, colors, wheels, etc. and like you I have given that scenario a great deal of thought over the years therefore here is my take on why that may not have taken place.

When it came to celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Mustang for the 2015 model year, I suggest that Dearborn made a conscious decision to focus solely on the 2015 Mustang GT model and deliberately left the 2015 Shelby GT350/R model as a new model launch and wanted that model to come without any special badging, trim, colors, wheels.

Also interesting to note that Ford did not build any pre-production (TT, PP, MP) vehicles for the launch of the 2015 Shelby GT350/R model year but the FRAP certainly made up for it with 95 pre-production units for the following 2016 model year.

All 2015 Mustang GT 50th Anniversary Limited Edition models (1964 units) came with many special features such as Wimbledon White paint, unique embroidered Mustang 50 Year Logo seats, door sill inserts, floor mats, dash plaque with chassis number that mirrored the VIN, Brembo brakes, rear louvered windows, faux gas cap, beautiful 19" alloy wheels, etc. and a special form fitted transport/shipping cover which I had never seen before for a Mustang.

Back in 1965 Shelby American was designing, engineering, building and marketing the 1965 Shelby GT350 out of Venice and LAX but just ~ 2 1/2 years later (August 1967) Ford terminated the SA operation in California and took complete control for the design, engineering, build and marketing for the 1968 GT350 and GT500 models and moved that process from LAX to A.O. Smith in Ionia, Michigan.

Based on the above scenario I suggest that Ford wanted all of the focus for the 50th Anniversary of Mustang to be centered solely around the 2015 Mustang GT Limited Edition model only with no emphasis being extended towards the 2015 Shelby GT350/R models which to my surprise was not even offered in their iconic exterior color of Wimbledon White along with Guardsman Blue OTT stripes.

DSCF0842.JPG

DSCF0854.JPG

DSCF0856.JPG
Don’t forget Kona Blue for the 50th LE as well. Don’t want to upset those folks 😉

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Don’t forget Kona Blue for the 50th LE as well. Don’t want to upset those folks 😉
Agreed and thanks for bringing that up! :like:

Speaking of cool Blue Mustangs, did you happen to notice the 2016 GT350R that sold at Mecum Indy yesterday which was Lot S149?

It was a Deep Impact Blue example coming with a Painted Black roof and no OTT Stripes and came with the Electronics Package and had just 93 miles on the odometer.

Sold for $96,250 which was $29,060 over MSRP therefore for those that suggest that the early 2016 or 2017 R models are not holding their value, this is just another example of that not being the case therefore never say never.
Sponsored