Sponsored

2015 F150 Debuts with 2.7l Ecoboost Option

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB

A 2.7l Ecoboost is coming to the F150 lineup this next year. So why does the Mustang not get this ecoboost?
Sponsored

crysalis_01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Terminator Cobra
Or maybe because 5.0 and 2.3 have "Mustang Tradition" or something of that nature.

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
A 2.7l Ecoboost is coming to the F150 lineup this next year. So why does the Mustang not get this ecoboost?
Because the 2.3 Liter is already a fairly big engine for the European market. Having been in England for 7 weeks last year I know that the 2.7 being nearly a 3.0 Liter, is considered a big engine over there. Their Yearly Road Tax is based on Engine Size, so the Bigger the Engine the More Your Tax. I'm actually surprised we didn't get a 2.0 Turbo. Hell Kia is getting over 300 HP from a 2.0 Turbo...

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
A believe engine size depicts the tax you pay in other parts of Europe......but it little 'ol England, it's based on CO2 emissions.

:)

Sponsored

OP
OP
JonnyMustang

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
It's a small displacement 6 cylinder and would slot nicely between the base and GT. Adding turbo(s) to a 6 would help sell the premium price tag of Ecoboost better for the Mustang shopper.

NeedLotteryToBuyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Protege5 & '09 Mazda3
It's a small displacement 6 cylinder and would slot nicely between the base and GT. Adding turbo(s) to a 6 would help sell the premium price tag of Ecoboost better for the Mustang shopper.
So you're saying have the EB4 as the base, the EB6 as the step up, and then the GT, ditching the normally aspirated V6. That's actually not a horrible idea. I wonder if they're saving it for a mid-cycle refresh when they really kick up the HP on the V8.

OP
OP
JonnyMustang

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
So you're saying have the EB4 as the base, the EB6 as the step up, and then the GT, ditching the normally aspirated V6. That's actually not a horrible idea. I wonder if they're saving it for a mid-cycle refresh when they really kick up the HP on the V8.
Well, I'm sure they'll still need an N/A for the base model because of rental fleets and people leery of boost. So use the 3.7L as the base, make the 2.7L the mid range (smaller displacement but still a v6 sound and more torque), and keep the 5.0 as GT. Shoppers have always accepted the 6 cylinder in a Mustang, so why change it now? Just seems odd that Ford was sitting on this technology and only reserved it for the F150 (which is heavier than the Mustang).

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
Well, I'm sure they'll still need an N/A for the base model because of rental fleets and people leery of boost. So use the 3.7L as the base, make the 2.7L the mid range (smaller displacement but still a v6 sound and more torque), and keep the 5.0 as GT. Shoppers have always accepted the 6 cylinder in a Mustang, so why change it now? Just seems odd that Ford was sitting on this technology and only reserved it for the F150 (which is heavier than the Mustang).
Two 6s and no EB4? That's not good.
Did you forget about One Ford and Europe with their tax systems?

Johnb-5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2006 Volvo XC90 GT350
Well, I'm sure they'll still need an N/A for the base model because of rental fleets and people leery of boost. So use the 3.7L as the base,.
The base engine for this truck will be a 3.5L N/A V6.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JonnyMustang

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Two 6s and no EB4? That's not good.
Did you forget about One Ford and Europe with their tax systems?
No...how common is the displacement tax really? Why compromise the engine lineup to sell a couple hundred more Mustangs in central Europe?

Granted I haven't driven either motor set up, but the 2.7L V6 seems to make more sense in a Mustang lineup.

Johnb-5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2006 Volvo XC90 GT350
I'm talking about the Mustang.
Sorry I should have read a little closer.:headbonk: Getting back to the truck, even with the weight loss I don't see 2.7L eb selling all that good in a full size truck.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Sorry I should have read a little closer.:headbonk: Getting back to the truck, even with the weight loss I don't see 2.7L eb selling all that good in a full size truck.
That's what people said about the 3.5 Eco and it turned into the best selling option.

OP
OP
JonnyMustang

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
That's what people said about the 3.5 Eco and it turned into the best selling option.
Yep, when my friend bought his 2011 EB, the dealership was marking them up $1,000 over sticker price. They're hot sellers.
Sponsored