Sponsored

2015 EcoBoost Mustang in Winter Weather

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Many of you may be daily driving your Mustangs in the Northern states where we get snow. My mom is considering getting a 2015 EcoBoost Mustang, but she's not sure she wants to deal with it in the winter time.

With the advances in tires, and traction control systems, how do the 2015 EcoBoost Mustangs do in snow and cold conditions?

I have a 2008 Bullitt, but it gets stored in the winters, so I couldn't offer her any insight.
Sponsored

14MustangV6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
I would imagine the new platform (especially premium trim with drive modes), would be even better than the outgoing 2014s. For reference I drove my 2014 through all of last winter with snow tires and didn't have a single problem, and we had record snowfall totals.

I doubt she'll have any problems.

humster21

Black Mustang Lover
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
15 Black EB Premium w/PP
No problems yet. The snow/wet mode is very helpful.

OP
OP

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
She'd be leasing it, so I would imagine she isn't going to want to buy winter tires for it. Will the all-seasons work well enough? We've had a super mild winter so far, but the snow could come anytime...

OP
OP

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Also, as far as the snow/ice mode, can you set it to stay on that mode, or do you have to reset it every time you start the car?

Sponsored

Noble1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
We live in the northern climes...no problem yet with our ecoboost. Be careful with the what tires she gets.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Also, as far as the snow/ice mode, can you set it to stay on that mode, or do you have to reset it every time you start the car?
You have to remember to put it on when you turn the car off and on. Otherwise will go back to normal mode

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Aren't the non performance package tires all seasons? Shouldn't that be good enough?

LittleJerrySeinfeld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium
I live in Minneapolis, MN and have actually had a great time driving it in the winter. I bought a set of 17" winter wheels and tires for a about $1000 and its night and day different then the 20" summer tires I got with it. I have had zero problems so far and don't expect to have any.

PJE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base Ecoboost Mustang - Ingot Silver
I bought some base GT/Ecoboost Premium split spoke 18in wheels off a member of the forum, and fitted winter tires (Michelin X-Ice Xi3). Not the cheapest way, as TireRack had 17in wheels and tires for less...

The winter rubber is also better on cold roads, but I haven't had chance to test them out in the snow (thankfully!).

Sponsored

EleanorsBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Aren't the non performance package tires all seasons? Shouldn't that be good enough?
Performance Pack tires are Summers - DEFINITELY not good for during the winter.

I have a 2015 Ecoboost, and had my dealer put on Winter tires when the car arrived. That plus Snow/Wet mode, and I haven't had a problem yet (granted we haven't really gotten much snow in Michigan this season yet).

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
You have to remember to put it on when you turn the car off and on. Otherwise will go back to normal mode
Correct.

More related info: you can change drive modes while moving and in any gear except for reverse.

OP
OP

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
All season tires are jokingly called "No Season" tires. They make compromises everywhere so they can be marginal across the board, but not really good anywhere.

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
Hi guys... as far my driving exp goes ..Bullit is somewat right... all seasons are more like psychological .. that yeaaa we are all season.. but for extreme places i would recommend tires as per season....

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I think she'll be ok with the all season tires on the EB. I mean I come from an area that never gets crazy cold or snow except every few years so the AS work well here. For an area that gets lots of ice and snow, might be wise to get winter tires.
Sponsored