Sponsored

2015 Base GT Competition Orange ordered on X-plan, but is something slightly off?

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
All,

Ok, so I finally put my order in today, at Holman Ford in Turnersville, NJ, and a $200 deposit. They'll put the order through on Thursday, an rough estimate is that I'll have the car sometime in July.

I ordered:
2015 Mustang GT Base with:

• Automatic
  • All-weather floor mats
  • Spoiler delete
  • Ambient lighting
  • Spare wheel and tire
  • Enhanced security package
  • Reverse park assist
  • Black cloth interior
  • Competition Orange
Seems like they won't do the striping stuff there at the dealer, they recommend a local place to put the stripes on. Shame I can't get that factory-installed for 2015 models.

EDIT: There was a gentleman there who was taking delivery of an Ingot Silver GT with the 18" Foundry Black-Painted Aluminum wheels - they look GREAT on an Ingot Silver car, and I saw a photo of a Magnetic - ugh, now I'm sooo tempted to get them, but I could've sworn I saw them on another color (Deep Impact Blue? Not sure) and they somehow did NOT look good... not sure how they'd look on Competition Orange.

I think the following two things are normal, but can anyone confirm or does anyone find something wrong with these:

• Tags (estimated) come at $401 plus $7.50. This is for 4 years worth of registration. I've never bought a new car before, so is the 4-years registration normal?
  • There's a $100 "Doc. fee"

There are a few odd things I've noticed - and I wonder if this is usual, or if I should say "Hey, change this!" on the following:

• It seems they did the calculations based off of the invoice price, rather than invoice price minus 0.4% of invoice price (I know, that only takes off less than $200, but still)
  • The printed out invoice price is a certain number, but the worksheet shows $200 higher than the invoice number, though I can't now recall the reason the dealer gave for it - it doesn't say on the worksheet. This extra $200 is also subject to sales tax.
  • On the printed out preview order sheet I found that the following items are listed as $0 for MSRP, but have a non-zero Invoice cost - they charge for these on the X-plan but not for a regular purchase?
    • NJ Environmental Protect Fee: $0.25 (really? 25 cents??)
    • Fuel Charge: $40.64 (is it me, or is that a weirdly specific number?)
    • Advertising Assessment: $517 (WTF?!!?)
Should I be concerned about any of this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
2015 Base GT Competition Orange ordered on X-plan, but is something slightly ...

Holy fee fest. No way I would pay for their advertising fees. They can't afford to pay their own marketing department? I don't think paying for four years of registration is necessary either, that should be around $100 too. Gas don't pay for that crap either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calhoun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Race Red
I noticed this too but then I noticed the TOTAL equaled what the Ford website quoted as xplan. My suggestion is to go to the xplan site, build your car with the correct zip code and look at the price. It should match the total of the printout you get from the dealer. The printout breaks down the price more than the website and includes those fee's, but the TOTAL should be the same. The Doc fee can vary but is limited to $275 according to xplan rules.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
From what I understand of X-Plan the only fee dealers can charge are the $100 doc fee. All that other nonsense (advertising, fuel, etc...) should not be included if you use X-Plan.

Also I'd only pay 2 years of registration which should only be around $100.

OP
OP

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
I noticed this too but then I noticed the TOTAL equaled what the Ford website quoted as xplan. My suggestion is to go to the xplan site, build your car with the correct zip code and look at the price. It should match the total of the printout you get from the dealer. The printout breaks down the price more than the website and includes those fee's, but the TOTAL should be the same. The Doc fee can vary but is limited to $275 according to xplan rules.
Thanks for the tip. Interestingly, the printout they gave me was about $140 LESS than what the X-plan site shows for the build, and the worksheet's written price (with a question mark next to it, I forgot to mention that), is $78 MORE than the X-plan site's total.

So, I guess I'm actually spot-on, or very close to it. It looks like when all is said and done, my out-the-door total (with sales tax, etc) is about what the MSRP would be before tax, tags, etc.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
The info they shared on gas and advertisement fee is correct.

I have attached my DORA to show you things are accurate. The gas is calculated at the time of purchase for a full tank of gas.
DORA.jpg

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
From what I understand of X-Plan the only fee dealers can charge are the $100 doc fee. All that other nonsense (advertising, fuel, etc...) should not be included if you use X-Plan.
That is totally incorrect.

Last edited:
OP
OP

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Todd - thanks for the info - looks like things are pretty much set right, then.

I will see if I can get them to tag the car for only a year, though. Renewing registration is under $100/year in NJ

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6

Absolutely correct. And the x plan price should be the printed out "invoice" price. Not that minus anything or plus any percentage. The dealer holdback is covered by the x plan price.

They trying to get more out of you on fees and by confusing you.

pietran30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My base GTPP that I ordered is still sitting at Holman. If it sits for another month, I may try to go in and see what kind of price they'll go down for it. It's been there since 2/12.

Sponsored
OP
OP

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My base GTPP that I ordered is still sitting at Holman. If it sits for another month, I may try to go in and see what kind of price they'll go down for it. It's been there since 2/12.
I'm slightly confused . . why has it been sitting there?

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150
I'm slightly confused . . why has it been sitting there?
Probably ordered and then changed his mind or found it elsewhere.

Absolutely correct. And the x plan price should be the printed out "invoice" price. Not that minus anything or plus any percentage. The dealer holdback is covered by the x plan price.

They trying to get more out of you on fees and by confusing you.
Its built into the pricing on their website, but the actual calculation includes invoice and those fees.
Invoice-.4%+1.63%(advertising)+57(fuel)+825(delivery)=x-plan

And yes, the doc fee is above that total and is dollar limited and is the only fee allowed.

My gdocs calculator is out of date since the price changes, but the calculation hasn't changed.

OP
OP

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably ordered and then changed his mind or found it elsewhere.

Its built into the pricing on their website, but the actual calculation includes invoice and those fees.
Invoice-.4%+1.63%(advertising)+57(fuel)+825(delivery)=x-plan

And yes, the doc fee is above that total and is dollar limited and is the only fee allowed.

My gdocs calculator is out of date since the price changes, but the calculation hasn't changed.

Ah, that clarifies - I never knew that there was the 1.63% for advertising fee, just the -0.4% of Invoice. Though why they don't just say 99.6% of invoice from the get-go is puzzling.

Still, as long as what I'm paying is part of what the X-Plan entails, and isn't anything that SHOULDN'T be tacked on under the X-Plan rules, then I'm happy.

PonyPower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
5th gen Mustang, Brz, Trans am, track car
Holy fee fest. No way I would pay for their advertising fees. They can't afford to pay their own marketing department? I don't think paying for four years of registration is necessary either, that should be around $100 too. Gas don't pay for that crap either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everyone pays advertising fees that's built into the price of the car, that's not a fee charged by the dealer. The DMV is estimated until it is pushed through. As a dealer in NJ I'd love to steal their business, but those two parts are correct.

OP
OP

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, then I'll have to pick your brains on this one . . I guess it's automatic that they ask if I'm going to trade in my existing car, but...

Well, I showed up in a 1987 Crown Vic Coupe. I drive that to work every day, so I am unlikely to trade that in.

And I wonder what they'd've said had I arrived in my 1978 LeSabre 4-door (NOT restored. It's low mileage, but has peeling light blue paint, and a notable amount of surface rust)

What do dealers do with cars like that? What do they actually typically offer, trade-in wise?

(the LeSabre in question, just to give you an idea - I have factory Buick hubcaps on it, now. My assumption is that they'd offer me no more than a Burger King value meal for it)
IMG_0005.jpg
Sponsored