Sponsored

2015-2017 GT350 Shelby Transmission Cooler Scoop

Essex Wire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg
I've had the Shelby scoop on for a few weeks now. When we first put it on (I had my mechanic do it) the thing rattled like crazy -- mainly during deceleration. It sounded like I had a giant kazoo under the car. It was unbearable and I immediately brought car back and we checked the install. All the bolts were tight. The problem is that the heat shields are in fact contacting and vibrating against the transmission. The spaces in between the transmission and exhaust are very, very tight.

We actually bent one heat shield a little bit to try to avoid contact. The thing is very solidly built and rigid (and heavy) but we managed.

While the car was still on the lift I contacted Shelby and told them of the problem. They were very responsive and asked me to send pictures, which I did, which they forwarded to their R&D guy.

Bending one of the heatshields out of the way a little bit actually solved the problem -- for a little over a week, but now the vibrating sound is returning. The rattling sound is not as bad as it was, but it's getting worse over time.

Shelby did not come back with a solution yet. They thought the vibrating was due to the heat shield being bent, but in fact it's the opposite, the bending was a temporary solution (I still have to talk to them about this - but it's the holidays). They were kind enough to send out a new unit very quickly without me even asking. But I'm pretty sure it's going to vibrate just like the original and all the ones guys are reporting above.

I highly commend SA on their efforts to resolve the Tech Pack limp mode issue and their customer service. I really hope they can make a fix for this issue, but it is really, really narrow up there and I just don't know if there's any way to have heat shields on the scoop without contact and vibration.

And do not put rubber bushings to dampen the vibration. It's the shield contacting the transmission housing that's making the noise, the scoop is not rattling in it's mounting points.
Sponsored

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
What if you wedge some material between the shields and the trans to sort of preload it.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
mine is solid. i do not have any rattles.

I took the same 30 mile drive, going the exact same speeds on a high humidity, 72 degree day.

I was kind of shocked at the results.

By the tale of my nguage, 34 degrees cooler with scoop. kind of crazy!
What were your before and after temps?

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Turns out the passenger side heat shield was contacting the Transmission case, causing the sound. Shelby American has another one on the way for me to swap out. Thumbs up for customer service.

TRACK CRAZY GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2010 VW GTI, 2016 Mustang GT350
Guys,
Sorry for not checking in on this sooner! This was developed as an auxiliary cooling component to an entire system. This just came out first. Indeed, on a very hot Vegas summer track day, this alone will postpone the time it takes for limp to kick in on 2015/16 tech cars. However, its not a cure on the hot days or very aggressive sessions. On the street and light track time, this is a very thoughtful, valued orientated setup. Test numbers are pretty vanilla without context so if I told you aluminum surface temp on tranny casing was reduced by almost 50*, I'm not sure that would turn anyone on? Let me know if there's a specific static figure you're after and I'll do my best to provide.
Couple other things that Tim hasn't given away...
1) For the intent observers of the photos, yes another system is being finalized and close to release. Its an active system with thermostatic control and manual override switch, in its current configuration. Stay tuned as this takes a lot of test time and validation prior to release
2)This scoop was meant to be modular, which means we will be releasing a version that is meant for GT/Ecoboost.
3) Please don't wrap your catalytic converters. You will not enjoy the end result or complete denial of Ford warranty coverage, either

Thanks, as always!!!
Keith, thanks for this update. Do you now have a better timeframe for the release of the complete active cooling system? This is what many of us have been looking for. We are just about to go into February and track days here in the northeast will be starting around the end of March. I would hate to have another disappointing year like I did last year. Thanks

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Keith, thanks for this update. Do you now have a better timeframe for the release of the complete active cooling system? This is what many of us have been looking for. We are just about to go into February and track days here in the northeast will be starting around the end of March. I would hate to have another disappointing year like I did last year. Thanks
There's been nothing further from SA on the 'active cooling' system except a rumor they have abandoned the attempt to develop one.

Here's to hoping you get a response that proves this wrong :cheers:

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
My experience with SPP is they do not respond to emails or requests for informtion. I talked to them at Fab Ford and they said to email them for information. Nothing but crickets. I did get the scoop and install it but with the weather so cold I cannot really test it yet.

stshoo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Avalanche w/Black Stripe and roof, tech pack
I ordered the scoop too, but waiting for it to come. I never heard back for the data they had for the scoop.

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I would call them directly, I doubt they will answer any questions on a product that isn't announced yet. It's sucks but I don't blame them.

P.S. I got my replacement scoop. They fixed some issues I had with the manufacturing on the first one, which is good. Haven't had time to install it yet, weather is garbage here in NY.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I would call them directly, I doubt they will answer any questions on a product that isn't announced yet. It's sucks but I don't blame them.
Thanks for the update [MENTION=18362]Side_Pce[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

Not looking for a beef with you but why wouldn't you blame them? They're the ones who made the announcement of their kit many months ago and left the impression they were honing in on a quieter pump. Kinda specific info just to leave hanging out there. If they have abandoned this kit, the least they could do is confirm or come out and say it's still in progress.

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update @Side_Pce :thumbsup:

Not looking for a beef with you but why wouldn't you blame them? They're the ones who made the announcement of their kit many months ago and left the impression they were honing in on a quieter pump. Kinda specific info just to leave hanging out there. If they have abandoned this kit, the least they could do is confirm or come out and say it's still in progress.

They are taking FP's lead by promising something that will never come to market

zombiekiller

warranties are 4 wussies
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350, 66 galaxie,a Tesla, and an AMG G63
What were your before and after temps?
yesterday i drove 362 miles.

Starting trans temp was on a cold start. 71 degrees.

I got into houston i-10 traffic around rush our.

it was 73 degrees out. The trans topped out at 171.

I may or may not have been travelling triple digit speeds for 15 mins at a time during my drive. The trans did not go over 165 degrees.

That being said, my car tramlines a whole bunch more without the gtrac brace on, so the scoop is coming off.

conversely, my electric pump cooler drops the temp in the same environmentals, 15 degrees in 5 mins and I was turning it off again once my temps were in the 140s.

Side_Pce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Thanks for the update [MENTION=18362]Side_Pce[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

No worries, to be fair the announcement was made on this forum by some guy and not "officially". At least I don't think they did. That's why I said to give them a call, they are good at answering the phone at least. Email could use some work but they did resolve my issue ASAP.
I'm guessing their customer service is small judging by response times, so announcing a kit and not delivering like FP did would be hell for them. Which is why I can't blame them for not egging us on with the (4-6 weeks) response. I'm sure when they have an answer they'll tell us (hopefully).

Cypherious

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
yesterday i drove 362 miles.

Starting trans temp was on a cold start. 71 degrees.

I got into houston i-10 traffic around rush our.

it was 73 degrees out. The trans topped out at 171.

I may or may not have been travelling triple digit speeds for 15 mins at a time during my drive. The trans did not go over 165 degrees.

That being said, my car tramlines a whole bunch more without the gtrac brace on, so the scoop is coming off.

conversely, my electric pump cooler drops the temp in the same environmentals, 15 degrees in 5 mins and I was turning it off again once my temps were in the 140s.
Zombiekiller I know Steeda has shims that come with the GTRAC brace. Do they work with the transmission scoop?
20200525_182352.jpg
Sponsored