Sponsored

2015-2016 Tech Pack and Base GT350 Cooler Solution Discussion

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Looks like the two who purchased the transmission already are the lucky ones. Now there's no way around the $4800 punch in the gut?
Not necessarily so, dealers will determine the price and any core returns per Isaac.

This is what I got this morning.....

Ford Performance says:
It does not include a pump. You would have to source that elsewhere, or the transmision comes with an internal pump.
USMC0341 says:
Yes I understand,want to purchase M-7095-M8S
Ford Performance says:
Okay, in order to do that you can contact [email protected] and/or [email protected]. The reason for this is that we will not sell these parts to anyone other than tech/base package owners so there is a short ownership/approval process.
Consistent with the info I got. Also, I asked for details on the kit and diagram- diagram not available now. I will post any further info I may get.
So far, not much joy with this news...
Sponsored

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Wonder if us Canucks will have to get our kit directly from FP or if their will be a Canadian distributor or will kits be sent out to preferred Ford dealerships ?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Looks like the two who purchased the transmission already are the lucky ones. Now there's no way around the $4800 punch in the gut?
I thought $4800 was just for the transmission. I think you would need the lines and cooler as well - if you decided to go with this option. Plus either do the installation yourself or pay for it. $4800 might be just the beginning.

Not necessarily so, dealers will determine the price and any core returns per Isaac.
It could be a much better deal if we could get some money for our core... or not. The $1,000 I previously heard would be a joke. I would sell private market and be almost assured to get more than that.

GRTWHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350
Great info, I imagine aftermarket companies will copy and include pump to make kit complete. I have yet to see my trans get above 199 on the street in my 16 tech pack, even with "spirited" driving up to an hour on my commutes, but will probably do the upgrade anyways some day.
Did you install a separate temp gauge (aftermarket) for the trans? If so, what brand?

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Did you install a separate temp gauge (aftermarket) for the trans? If so, what brand?
You don't need a different gauge, you can program your dash display for the transmission temperature.

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So, I've been away for a little bit...deployment happens

As I recall my build date does fall in the recall. I'll still check up on the VIN when I can find it.

Not seeing anything new on the cooler kits for the base/tech owners. That 6 wks date seems to be a moving target. The cost of this and the iPhone USB update...

I feel this was ford's business plan with us on this car

moneygif.gif

Last edited:

Aurelius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I've replied to ford performance's email. Asked them exactly what the kit includes and if it's warrantied or not. I think I know the answer but I want an official word on it. I'll post up results when they get back to me much like Tank. I hate this crazy ambiguity. Tell us what's in the kit, when it's coming etc. Shelby American is also working on a kit but according to their representative it's a confirmed in the works but a month out. Sigh. I don't know what the hold up is.

I mean honestly if they aren't going to warranty the work and these are parts we could just order as in the radiator and lines then why not just give us that? What procedures need to be taken place on rehashed info. I didn't hit this track season because I wanted to wait for a solution during the upcoming Winter. I'm trying to be patient but taking this long to say our kit includes a radiator but you supply the pump and lines? Seriously?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
So, I've been away for a little bit...deployment happens

As I recall my build date does fall in the recall. I'll still check up on the VIN when I can find it.

Not seeing anything new on the cooler kits for the base/tech owners. That 6 wks date seems to be a moving target. The cost of this and the iPhone USB update...

I feel this was ford's business plan with us on this car
Welcome Back lemers! No argument from me on your points. Only movement is we can now tell FP what we want but as others have noted, ambiguity abounds.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm glad both the cooler kits are released now, and they seem serious about it being that they are asking for a VIN before they will sell us the parts.

I sent a bunch of questions to FP. One thing I really want to know is whether the rear diff is still covered under the factory warranty once I add a transmission cooler. I'm concerned the rear diff will be the next failure point.

I was also told that I would need 6AN lines and a pump if I bought the cheap kit, but not whether I needed wiring, switches, relay, brackets, etc. etc. Also, if I buy the transmission will it only be a transmission in the box, or will there be a cooler and lines, fluid, etc.?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'm glad both the cooler kits are released now, and they seem serious about it being that they are asking for a VIN before they will sell us the parts.
They are asking for the VIN because they are trying to keep the number of these transmissions/cooling kits low by limiting their sale only to cooler-less GT350 owners.

This isn't about economies of scale as would normally be the case with an item sold by Ford Performance, which is very odd from a business perspective. Leads me to conclude that they aren't interested in supplying this transmission in the first place but have been pressured into supplying them, no doubt, due to complaints. And it isn't a supply side issue as Ford isn't exactly pumping out more GT350's than the transmissions Tremec in Mexico can manufacture. Somebody doesn't want the shelves at Ford Performance Parts stocked with a number of these transmissions, a deviation from any other Tremec transmission offering that FPP carried in previous years.

Whoever you are at Ford - release the stranglehold and cut the red tape BS. You are only serving to alienate a core group that works hard to support you.

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
They are asking for the VIN because they are trying to keep the number of these transmissions/cooling kits low by limiting their sale only to cooler-less GT350 owners.

This isn't about economies of scale as would normally be the case with an item sold by Ford Performance, which is very odd from a business perspective. Leads me to conclude that they aren't interested in supplying this transmission in the first place but have been pressured into supplying them, no doubt, due to complaints. And it isn't a supply side issue as Ford isn't exactly pumping out more GT350's than the transmissions Tremec in Mexico can manufacture. Somebody doesn't want the shelves at Ford Performance Parts stocked with a number of these transmissions, a deviation from any other Tremec transmission offering that FPP carried in previous years.

Whoever you are at Ford - release the stranglehold and cut the red tape BS. You are only serving to alienate a core group that works hard to support you.
Who would want it other than the 2015 - 2016 Base & Tech owners?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'd love to provide you with a behind the scenes answer, I really would. There are some here that can speak to what I'm intimating if they so choose. Suffice it to say, if you simply wanted to purchase a TR3160 to swap it into (for example) an MT82 equipped car, a restomod, cobra kit car, have a backup for your R model/Track Pack car, etc, you will now be told no. This has not been past business practice from FPP when it comes to selling driveline hardware or most any other part they offer.

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
Here's the Cliff Notes version.

1. I ordered TR3160/pump transmission from buyfordracing.com
2. The next day I'm having lunch with a friend (who is restoring a '68 fastback) and I mention the tranny and price. He says "I want one!"
3. I said "well call Mike @ buyfordracing.com."
4. While we're eating he calls and orders one and gives his CC number over the phone. At this point FP had told no one that the tranny and price was specifically put in place for GT350 base/tech owners and specified no limitations on buying one.
5. Another couples days go by and my friend tells me to call Mike and give him my VIN because FP wants it (I did this.) He also tells me that FP doesn't want to send him the transmission he paid for because he doesn't have a GT350.
6. I guess that my friend and Mike both suggested to FP that since he ordered and paid prior to their insisting on a VIN that he should receive the tranny (he received it today.)
7. So at what point, and why, FP decided that only GT350 owners can order the transmission and kits etc., I don't know. I suppose it might've been that day my friend and I had lunch that I posted something about it in these forums, in this thread even.
Sponsored