Sponsored

2015-2016 Fuel Door Assembly removal

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
For whatever reason, the spring that keeps tension on the fuel door may have gotten knocked out of place. I can't close my fuel door anymore as the hinge is loose.

Does anyone have instructions on how to remove this assembly so that I can fix this?
Sponsored

BrazukaV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt PP
Just noticed my fuel door loose. Like it wobbles now. Idk why this happened.

AutoX_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack - Black
Just happened to mine today :headbonk::frusty:

Anybody know how to access the mount from behind the gas door hinge? Already tried through the trunk with no access.. Hoping I don't have to remove the rear bumper.

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
Access may be available by removing the rear tire and fender liner.

Sponsored

AutoX_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Access may be available by removing the rear tire and fender liner.
Yeah that's what i'm hoping! I'll tackle that this weekend. I'd rather do it myself than lose it for a day while Ford takes there time fixing it.

Bradrulz

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Comp Orange
Mine started doing this a week ago. Had it at dealership today and they ordered replacement. Said the whole black plastic piece around fuel inlet, on fuel door, and arm needs replaced.

Jww92201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Mine started doing this a week ago. Had it at dealership today and they ordered replacement. Said the whole black plastic piece around fuel inlet, on fuel door, and arm needs replaced.
As he stated If the fuel arm Is loose/not closing flush, It has to be replaced, I noticed mine did the same thing after the dealer did warranty work for something unrelated, they ordered and replaced It under warranty no problems. :cheers:

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I'm noticing that my fuel door is kinda loose as well. :\

I might make a video showing it wobbling. I dunno. Really don't feel like taking it to the dealer.

BrazukaV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt PP
As he stated If the fuel arm Is loose/not closing flush, It has to be replaced, I noticed mine did the same thing after the dealer did warranty work for something unrelated, they ordered and replaced It under warranty no problems. :cheers:
How long did it take the dealer to fix the fuel door?

I'm noticing that my fuel door is kinda loose as well. :\

I might make a video showing it wobbling. I dunno. Really don't feel like taking it to the dealer.
The dealer told me to leave the car there for at least 3 days I'm like hell no. 3 days imho is way toooo much

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
The dealer told me to leave the car there for at least 3 days I'm like hell no. 3 days imho is way toooo much
:doh:

I made a video of my loose fuel door. It looks like the bottom half of the hinge arm either broke or became unbolted (or however it's fastened). I'd look it up in the service manual, but I can't seem to find anything regarding that part.

[ame]

AutoX_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^That will get worse over time, that's exactly how mine was before the spring finally gave out and the door had zero tension against the body..

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
^^That will get worse over time, that's exactly how mine was before the spring finally gave out and the door had zero tension against the body..
Did you end up fixing it yourself?

I think I found the bit about in the service manual. You're correct, you'd need to remove the left rear wheel and fender liner to access. The manual suggests removing fuel from the tank (if full) so that the fuel level is below the filler line.

There's nothing there to suggest if it's something that can be fixed.

This looks to be the replacement part:
FR3Z-6327936-A

AutoX_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you end up fixing it yourself?

I think I found the bit about in the service manual. You're correct, you'd need to remove the left rear wheel and fender liner to access. The manual suggests removing fuel from the tank (if full) so that the fuel level is below the filler line.

There's nothing there to suggest if it's something that can be fixed.

This looks to be the replacement part:
FR3Z-6327936-A
Yep that's the correct part number, I can confirm as I just purchased this part myself. I still have not attempted to fix it as iv'e been kinda busy. Good to know about the draining some of the fuel though. If I get to fixing this soon I'll be sure to take some pics of the process and possibly write up a how to cause I see this being a common issue for many more people.

Bradrulz

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Comp Orange
How long did it take the dealer to fix the fuel door?

Had mine replaced today. Was at dealership for 1 to 1.5 hours. Issue resolved
Sponsored