Sponsored

1st time Mustang purchase: Opinions needed!

IslandHopper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium 401A PP
Don't get the recarros. You loose the heated/cooled feature when you go that route. The heat, especially, is a huge feature on those cool days! (and you have a lot more of those than I do.)
Besides, if you ever find you "need" a better racing seat, there are better seats available for less cash in the aftermarket. (And if you need more support than the normal seats provide, you probably also need a roll cage, among other things :) )
Sponsored

DaUnit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP Shadow Black
I could understand not being able to afford a GT but that's not your case.

Get the GT, you will regret nothing.

Note: I also traded in my 15' EB for 16' GT.

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Ecoboost PP Premium owner here. Your pros and cons are pretty much spot on. I see you mentioned the "5.0 Clan Membership"... this is more or a phenomenon on the internet. Going to mustang meets in person, nobody is going to treat you differently because you have an ecoboost.

I'd make a case for the ecoboost with PP being a very well balanced and fun car to drive. But to me, handling is key. I've had no problems keeping up with GTs on mildly twisty canyon roads.

Here's a clip of Jay Leno commenting on the Eco (go to 20:32): [ame]

And here's a clip comparing a non-PP eco to a BRZ with upgraded tires (go to 27:15): [ame]

Emissions is another huge one. The ecoboost has pretty good power potential but emissions and keeping it legal will be a pain. You'll also lose your warranty.

For me, the sound and lack of top end powerband are the biggest disappointments for the ecoboost. I wish my car would pull to 7200RPM and make a glorious sound while doing so.

Choice is yours, I just wanted to defend the eco a little bit :cheers:

bay584

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Don't get the recarros. You loose the heated/cooled feature when you go that route. The heat, especially, is a huge feature on those cool days! (and you have a lot more of those than I do.)
Besides, if you ever find you "need" a better racing seat, there are better seats available for less cash in the aftermarket. (And if you need more support than the normal seats provide, you probably also need a roll cage, among other things :) )
I disagree, get the Recaros
Choosing whether to add Recaros is something that you must actually sit in before you make your decision IMO. Many factors are in play here, functionality, appearance, durability/reliability, comfort (other than yourself). Honestly the list of factors I just made could be completely off to the next guy or gal on here so at the end of the day you have to weigh the pros and cons.

Personally, I would get them if they fit your: budget, physical characteristics, and appeal. But the stock seats are pretty snug for me and I'm 5'9 170lbs.

Sponsored

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
GT---- I do a lot of highway driving I've got a Roush AB and resonator delete and a Lund 93 tune with N Gauge ,JLT CAI and I get 30 highway while driving somewhat nice . I've gotten 33 at best but honestly the GT gets great gas mileage .My GT is a MT and is NOT PP. I love this car however I did not buy it for gas mileage it's just sooo much fun to drive and yes the mods are great too
Can you tell us what you did to get 33% better mileage than Ford did. None of the stuff you list is enough to get you to 33mpg.

Thanks!

Last edited:

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Can you tell us what you did to get 50% better mileage than Ford did. None of the stuff you list is enough to get you to 33mpg.

Thanks!
down hill with strong tail wind...

People report getting better mileage after a tune, but the data seems pretty mixed. In certain conditions you can see that. In my GT Convertible it is very difficult to average above 27 for any amount of time, only on absolute flat at a constant speed or down hill just coasting. And that is with 3.31 and MT. But under the right conditions it is possible to see close to or over 30 for short periods.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Well, all I have to say is my 2016 GT is the most fun car I've ever owned. Not having driven an EB or V6, I don't know how they compare, so take that as you will. :thumbsup:

DaUnit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP Shadow Black
Can you tell us what you did to get 50% better mileage than Ford did. None of the stuff you list is enough to get you to 33mpg.

Thanks!
I've seen my buddy's s197 GT a/t get to 30mpg before but yeah... 33 is questionable...

I get 25mph avg on highway with my GT/PP...

Sponsored

nicktechla

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nicktwaddell.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot
You know....sounds crazy but my buddy at work has a base V8 and he wishes he got the base V6 with 51A pack...I know..crazy but after having the car since last Sept and the winter we had the gas he's spending coming from Bethesda to DC, he just said he should have gone with the V6. He can't open it up and really never has. He just decided too quickly on a spur of the moment thing when he needed a new car. I know I know..crazy but true. He's actually looking at trading in possibly later this year.
he should trade in the car along with his man card... haha jk :cheers:

70monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT
It just depends on what features on the car are the most important to you. Some people could care less about what engine is in it, they just want the look. Others want the most power available from the get go so they get the most powerful engine option.

For me personally, I would never get a V6 or ecoboost in a Mustang or those type of engines in any car I consider an American sports/muscle car.

My perception my whole life has been these type of cars have to have the V8 for the power and the sound. While these are important to me, they may not be important to you.

I could care less about gas mileage as I bought this for a fun car and have a 4 cyl. beater for a DD.

Just choose wisely so that you don't get buyer's remorse. Good luck.

Wayne

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Regarding the whole "how will an EB engine reliability at 65k".... The EB has been around longer than the 2015 Mustang intro - and I'm sure that there are EB's that have well over 65k or even up to 100k today w/ no major issues.

If you really want to get technical - there's been reports on here of GT's having their engines replaced and/or cam phasers being replaced with "baby" miles on them... So essentially the whole "this engine reliability vs. that engine reliability" has no grounds for arguments...

Voiding warranties? Applies to ANY Mustang.... I mean if the owner is going to go balls out modding this and that, it's a genuine moot point for any warranty concerns!! LMAO...

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
Coming from a 4cyl owner (Acura RSX-S), the GT will be what you'll want. Test driving the EB and GT head to head, there was just no comparison to the GT's 5.0. With the EB, you'll be craving more power and needing to spend more money on modifications. Also, as you mentioned you can run 87 octane on the 5.0 vs the premium on the EB. There was a 6mpg difference on highway rating between 5.0 and EB. With you're commuting situation, maybe aim for a 3.31 grear ratio to keep the RPMs down to maximize your MPG.

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
I have the Ruby Red EB ....I have averaged 27.5 MPG in mixed driving. On gentle freeway I can get 36MPG, at 74MPH I get 33.5. The 5.0 club can beat you these last few years but I don't regret the Mustang Turbo...sounds better right? Handling is better with the EB due to weight. My guess is whatever you get you will be happy. I would go with the Ruby Red or DIB but I like the silver wheels better.
Congrats on the manual!
Sponsored