1st gear grind

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
Clutch fully depressed, I thought I was in 1st, slowly let out the clutch to hear a grind. Done it twice now. First gear is odd. Sometimes, I feel a "notch" with more travel to go, most of the time I don't. The couple of times it was a grind, I didn't feel the "notch". But a majority of the time, I don't feel the notch and I am in first gear with no problem. Feeling paranoid enough to put it in 2nd then up to 1st, just to be sure I got the alignment right.

Anyone else get a "surprise" grind in first gear? Brand new '17 with less than 400 miles. Seems like the gear box should be smooth as silk and not doing this but maybe it's something that goes away?
Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Its likely not fully in gear, it should actually grind and then pop out of 1st. I give it an extra push into first now

Superdog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Black on Black
I did the same thing 3 terrible times. Each time, my skin just about crawled and my heart lurched.

I was not fully engaged in 1st. And I've been driving stick for 20 years. I think, based on it being brandy new, I just need to be extra careful and break it in.

It's happened again, but I was aware so I did not disengage the clutch and I put it back into neutral and reshifted. I've had to do this a few times. I expect it'll go away. I also expect I'll be forever vigilant.

MTWINN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I, too, experienced the grinding in first gear. It got to the point where I was hesitant and slow in releasing the clutch in first gear fearing it will grind, and it affected my driving. I noticed that I have to push a little harder past the first click in 1st gear for it to truly engage (although sometimes I can't feel it), and it happens more frequently if I am not completely stopped (like coming to a stop sign and not stop completely) when I put it in first gear.

Having said that, I haven't had the grinds in a while now. I have 1100 miles on the odometer. I wonder if it's just a case of the linkage just needed time to be broken in. I may have the dealer look at it when I go in for my oil change.

voodoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
20 GT500, 21 X6M50i, 74 Bronco, 21 Tremor, 79 C10
To quote member MAV, "I have, twice. Both times I didn't get it in 1st all the way. Don't baby this transmission - shove it in gear hard, fast, and deep!"

Reactions: MAV

Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Happened once when the car was new, I was at a cruise night and everyone was watching. Hasn't happened again in the last 6,000 miles. I'm good for now, things will smooth out as you use the car.

OP
OP
thehygienist

thehygienist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
IRISH
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT350
I think I'll use the "smack it hard" method for awhile until the linkage stretches or whatever needs loosened up. 2nd gear and 2nd to 3rd isn't exactly smooth either. 3rd through 6th feels right. Glad to hear it settles down eventually.

MTWINN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I think I'll use the "smack it hard" method for awhile until the linkage stretches or whatever needs loosened up. 2nd gear and 2nd to 3rd isn't exactly smooth either. 3rd through 6th feels right. Glad to hear it settles down eventually.
Besides the grind in 1st gear, the only other gear that doesn't feel right for me is 5th gear. It's not crisp, and I can feel a slight rub/grind. Hopefully, this too, will go away.

Yetitime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pak
Same, happened twice, not since... I shove it hard now..

Variance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2017 Shelby GT350
I have no personal experience with the Tremec box, but I have experienced similar issues in some vehicles I've driven in the past; generally, I have found that shifting into 2nd, then into 1st helps alleviate the "binding" that can prevent the shift fork from fully engaging.

Alternatively, as others have already said, slamming it in with authority works too, haha.

Sponsored

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
Same, 2 times. Both times it just popped out of 1st. Like one post said " don't baby it shove it in hard" !! Lol it does like it!!

GrayGt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gray Gt350 stock
never had a first gear grinding problem, i do have a 1st to second problem.

keith58

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 RR Convenience
I have this issue too. Sometimes it seems like it's fully in first gear but when I start to release the clutch it pops out of gear and makes a terrible grinding noise. Then over the weekend it was fully in gear, the clutch was depressed and when I went to let the clutch out it made a horrible grinding sound. It really scares me because I'm afraid to let the clutch out.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
To quote member MAV, "I have, twice. Both times I didn't get it in 1st all the way. Don't baby this transmission - shove it in gear hard, fast, and deep!"
That's what she said:lol:

No Pulp

AV8R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp Orange GT350 Track Pack
Had this happen to me twice as well when the car was under 1000 miles. 3k on the clock and haven't had the issue since.
Sponsored