15,000 Miles On the R: The Good and the Bad

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
At the end of September I finally bought a new 2017 350R. I've been daily driving it since. Yesterday I surpassed 15,000 miles, had 12 miles on it. Here's a list of the good and the bad along the way.

After 3,000 miles I put a set of 6grs and Hankook Ventus v12s on to make daily driving a bit more livable.

We'll start with the bad:

Rear bumper has begun to sag. There's a decent gap separating it and the clips have become visible.

There's an annoying creaking sound coming from the right rear wheel area whenever I take an incline slowly and at an angle.

The right rear wheel area squeaks randomly when driving. Usually after I hit small imperfections in the road.

Sync 3 glitches out sometimes and can't find maps or my phone.

I keep getting pulled over for small speeding violations. No tickets yet (knock on wood)

The famous oil consumption thing has affected my car. After seeing it was bone dry I check it every 1,000 miles and add a quart or two.

The airbag on the passenger side creaks but that may be due to the heat from the the car sitting outside in 100+ temps while at work.

I had the Diode Dynamic Sequential front signals installed by my dealer because I don't have a lift or trust myself to take the splitter off to install them. I tried to go in through the wheel well but the coolers got in the way. Dropped the car off and told them there is a video on how to properly install the splitter back. (They don't get many GT350s in) I get the car back and the splitter is all kinds of messed up. Theres a gap all the way around and the middle was attached underneath the clips. I told them and he said that was the best they could do. Took it to [MENTION=17943]MAV[/MENTION] and he was kind enough to take it off and reinstall it. They must have lost one of the screws because they added one that was way too big. The middle two clips were ripped and the a plastic piece that goes above the front bumper lip was sticking out below it. I have since taken the pictures my girlfriend took and am awaiting the service manager to order me a new splitter at no cost to me.

Now the good:

Everything else.

It's a hell of a daily driver.

The Hankooks while not being great performance tires are lasting much longer than I thought.

The front was wrapped a week after i got it so there are no chips, that i found.

I contemplate trading it in once a week for something else. GT3. R8 RWS, McLaren 570s/GT but can't bring myself to do it. It's a really epic car.

Thanks for reading.

Some pics:
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail-1.jpg
thumbnail-2.jpg
thumbnail-3.jpg
thumbnail-4.jpg
Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I had my bumper gap fixed using the TSB. While there is some risk associated with it, If you have a good tech/body shop, it shouldn't be a problem. Flame suit on, but it only pays 1.7 hours...so keep that in mind in order to get the results and attention and effort you want. Also, check your rear wheel bearings for play. Thanks for the review, and great looking car!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
In light of all the drama in some other threads here as of late...what a great read. Love the plate too...original idea! Give the Continental Extreme Contact Sports a try next time; they're fantastic. I get depressed reading all these blown engine/car is crap/can't wait to get rid of it threads...and then I get in mine and all that goes away! Epic was a great word choice!

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
In light of all the drama in some other threads here as of late...what a great read. Love the plate too...original idea! Give the Continental Extreme Contact Sports a try next time; they're fantastic. I get depressed reading all these blown engine/car is crap/can't wait to get rid of it threads...and then I get in mine and all that goes away! Epic was a great word choice!
counldn't agree more. :cheers:

CobraO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback
What is the red sticker on the door? From what I can see of it, I like it.

Nice write up. My car is identical and currently has 2300 miles.

picture.jpg

Sponsored

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Bring it back when you get that new splitter. We'll make sure it's installed right the first time.

I'm also going to start working on a fix for the rear bumper sag. Before you take it in and let the same techs that couldn't install a splitter hack up the inner workings of the bumper support, let me see what I can work out on mine and maybe we can get yours pulled up as well.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
My rear bumper has a very small gap and that’s how it’s been from the beginning but it isn’t “perfect”. I plan on preemptively fixing it.

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
The drama has gotten pretty bad as of late. It is a fun read to watch other people fight though lol. I'm in the process of buy a truck to daily and then going to get a more aggressive set of wheels and tires to take it back to how it felt with cup 2s. Thanks for the kind words!

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
Beautiful R! But whos GT is that!!!

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
What is the red sticker on the door? From what I can see of it, I like it.

Nice write up. My car is identical and currently has 2300 miles.

picture.jpg
Car looks great man! It's actually a buddy of mines company called The Express Rally. It's similar to the Gumball Rally but much more affordable and better in every way. The logo just happens to look really cool and like a R.
Link to their website below.

http://www.expressrally.com/

Sponsored
OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Bring it back when you get that new splitter. We'll make sure it's installed right the first time.

I'm also going to start working on a fix for the rear bumper sag. Before you take it in and let the same techs that couldn't install a splitter hack up the inner workings of the bumper support, let me see what I can work out on mine and maybe we can get yours pulled up as well.
They're never touching my car again. I may just keep sell it and put that money towards a carbon one. Let me know how your bumper fix goes!

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Beautiful R! But whos GT is that!!!
I didn't catch his name but he was at the Mid America Ford meet in Tulsa a couple weeks back. Very cool guy. He just picked it up and put 2500 miles on it. He was tracking his 302s and they let him take the GT on track. He said it was phenomenal. We left at the same time so we chased each other for a bit. I'm going to put it on Youtube in the next couple weeks.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
My car also sits in the sun all day. Plus it's black so it is an inferno after work. Or I should say WAS an inferno. I picked up one of these things. Now the interior is the same temp at 3PM as it was at 7AM and the a/c is instantly cold. It looks funky but works as advertised.

https://www.itscoolinhere.com

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
My car also sits in the sun all day. Plus it's black so it is an inferno after work. Or I should say WAS an inferno. I picked up one of these things. Now the interior is the same temp at 3PM as it was at 7AM and the a/c is instantly cold. It looks funky but works as advertised.

https://www.itscoolinhere.com
That's not a bad idea! I was going to tint all the windows to help and get one of those sunshade things.

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
All my windows are tinted, including the windshield. There is a huge difference between "filtering out" a percentage of heat vs: physically blocking/ reflecting virtually all of it. I precool my car in the morning with the a/c and at the end of the day I can still feel it. The Cool Cap is somewhat cumbersome to put on and off but I've gotten it down to a routine.
Sponsored