Sponsored

$149 Map Update for 2015MY

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I just got a letter from Ford saying there is a map update available for my car and it costs $149. I find the price pretty laughable and would never consider it after only owning the car for just over a year, but would consider it in the future if it actually has some tangible benefits.

As of right now, there is only one 3 mile stretch of freeway I drive on frequently that doesn't appear on the map so it's really not an issue. However, they have been doing a lot of construction on I-95 as it runs through downtown Jax which may become a problem for me once it's done. My nav already gets lost up there. I know I could just use Google Maps or Waze on my phone, but I really don't like messing around with my phone for directions while I'm driving.

Has anyone ever shelled out the money for a map update on any Ford in the past? Was it worth it?
Sponsored

Reduxalicious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT/CS
I had to update the Map in my mothers 13 F150 for her, It was worth it only because Houston has A LOT MORE Freeway and Freeway changes and an entire half a loop in 2016 that wasn't there in 2013, so for her the upgrade was worth it just because the amount of infrastructure added in 4 years, so I would say depends on your area and how much has changed in a year or two.

Reactions: QRK

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
I just got a letter from Ford saying there is a map update available for my car and it costs $149. I find the price pretty laughable and would never consider it after only owning the car for just over a year, but would consider it in the future if it actually has some tangible benefits.

As of right now, there is only one 3 mile stretch of freeway I drive on frequently that doesn't appear on the map so it's really not an issue. However, they have been doing a lot of construction on I-95 as it runs through downtown Jax which may become a problem for me once it's done. My nav already gets lost up there. I know I could just use Google Maps or Waze on my phone, but I really don't like messing around with my phone for directions while I'm driving.

Has anyone ever shelled out the money for a map update on any Ford in the past? Was it worth it?
that is not cheap
Suppose its a bit like the old Tom Tom and other makes where you had to pay for an updated map. But now they are free with certain Sat Navs
I wonder if as its now built onto the H/D for the Sync 3, they will charge? As you can do a update over wifi now

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
I think Acura wanted $250 when we had our 06 MDX . I bought the CD on ebay for like 149 . So all in all , about the norm :/

Sponsored

OP
OP
QRK

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I had to update the Map in my mothers 13 F150 for her, It was worth it only because Houston has A LOT MORE Freeway and Freeway changes and an entire half a loop in 2016 that wasn't there in 2013, so for her the upgrade was worth it just because the amount of infrastructure added in 4 years, so I would say depends on your area and how much has changed in a year or two.
Thank you. Lately, it seems like Jax has been making more and more freeway changes and it doesn't seem to be slowing down which leads me to another question: How often does Ford update their maps? Annually? Every other year?

For instance, if I decide I want to do the update a year from now, will another update have come out by then?

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
OP
OP
QRK

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
that is not cheap
Suppose its a bit like the old Tom Tom and other makes where you had to pay for an updated map. But now they are free with certain Sat Navs
I wonder if as its now built onto the H/D for the Sync 3, they will charge? As you can do a update over wifi now
I was wondering something similar too for the newer models. Couldn't you just use Google Maps through Apple Car Play/Android Auto and never worry about the built in nav map being outdated altogether?

dink32788

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic PP Mustang GT
I'd say 50% of the roads off the main roads in Panama City do not show up for me. It's pretty annoying since with my old car I would just switch to Nav and see what roads connect. There is a lot of tourist traffic so many times I'll cut on some side roads to avoid it. I can't do it with my '16. I'd do the update if it included the Android auto

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
that is not cheap
My salesman said that the maps update for free over WiFi, but the manual says to contact my dealer to PURCHASE an update.

I'm not happy that my brand new 2017 car has 2015 maps in it. The roads to my work which have been there almost 2 years aren't on my maps. Not sure who I talk to at Ford to complain about that and try to get a free update if they aren't already free.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I have navigation and still use Waze or Google Maps almost 100% of the time, except to "Go Home" using the easy button on the screen from wherever I am. I'm not paying a single cent for a map update when a far superior navigation solution exists...

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
I never use it.

My car was a last of the 15 dealer order and it was included. I guess it isnt much more than a stupid SD card and I didnt need/care for the service. I was hoping and trying real hard to get them to remove it and not charge for it.

Between Sirius and the stupid map crap it was the most useless non-optional option on my car. Basically all I wanted was a premium for the cooled leather seats. And we all know how the cooled seats worked out so all I got was leather.

FordIVTteam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hey Everyone!

Since HERE Maps produces the map updates, they do charge for the new SD cards. The 2017 vehicles do not require SD cards, so those will be updated over WiFi. The Android Auto and Apple CarPlay update is due to be released by the end of the years for the 2016 vehicles equipped with SYNC 3. Please share general ideas with Ford Motor Company on how we can enhance our products and services, please visit http://social.ford.com

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Cara

B0SS603

@dib_5.0
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacques
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
If you are really interested in the updated maps on the 2015 then take a look at Ebay. A7(US/Canada) map update SD cards selling as low as $50. I was able to snatch one up for $65 shipped not bad considering new they sell for $150 as OP mentioned. I'll get it in this weekend if anyone is interested in hearing a review.

technocrat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red EB Premium
I thought maps were available for free for first 4 years or so, that's not the case?

Btw with Acura, a new update is $149 & in summer last year's update is available for $99 from Acura's site
Sponsored