Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
Terrific idea.
Seems like getting the tube length exactly right is super critical.
Yes, getting the hose cut to the right length was the most important part of process so it would read correctly.

BD

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
@Buldawg76

Again thanks for the info and sharing!

When you do have time, can you post some images of how it looks and the actual ā€œmodifiedā€ dipstick after itā€™s pulled from the trans?

Your posted responses are definitely interesting since the absence of a better way to checking hot 10R80 fluid is a pain point for 10R80 ownersā€¦
Got some pics today as best I could and also laid out a mockup of the parts used to make it so you could get a better visual of what was actually done. Hope it allows for better understanding of design.

I did not modify the engine oil dip stick markings at all but just made sure the full line on both the plastic factory dipstick and the engine oil dipstick where the same distance from the top of plastic dipstick flange that butts up against the fill cap lower threads since I am only really concerned with it reading the correct full level. Anything below the full line means fluid needs to be added.

Also, on the mockup I did not have a 1/4 NPT fitting with a hose barb on it do used a 1/4 NPT compression fitting to illustrate where I drilled the fill cap to tap threads for the 1/4 NPT fitting to go in the fill cap. And last where I used a vernier caliper to take measurements for exactly how much of the engine oil dipstick needed to stick out from the fill cap to give a full reading with hose cut to proper length. Cutting the hose was the slowest part since I had to cut a little at a time and got it to less than 0.040"/1mm of being exact which is close enough for my satisfaction.

Just a note in the last pic the calipers are not set to the to the full line of the "A" grid since it was just for a visual reference of where measurements were taken on fill cap to dipstick markings.

BD

IMG_3067[1].JPG
IMG_3068[1].JPG
IMG_3070[1].JPG
IMG_3073[1].JPG
IMG_3073[1].JPG
IMG_3074[2].JPG
IMG_3075[1].JPG
IMG_3076[1].JPG
IMG_3077[1].JPG

IMG_3066[1].JPG

Last edited:

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Wow! Great work!

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Glad you included the pictures. It all makes sense now.

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if you could use an automatic dip stick from the 6 speed automatics used on the first or second gen coyotes? Might need a little modification of course.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if you could use an automatic dip stick from the 6 speed automatics used on the first or second gen coyotes? Might need a little modification of course.
I was not aware that the 6 speed autos had a dipstick for the trans since my buddies 06 mustang has the same fill cap/dipstick setup as mine. I believe some of the trucks may have still used an actual dipstick on earlier models, but it would be way to long for my application.

BD

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
I think this is great work and definitely something ford should have done from the factory. However, Iā€™m pretty confident that would void warranty work on the transmission. Considering the dipstick is a part of the trans and then itā€™s been modified, I bet my dealer wouldnā€™t touch that with a 10 ft pole.

Just food for thought! Still amazing work for out of warranty people!!

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I still have original dipstick that will go back in before any warranty work is done. They will never know.

BD

Sponsored

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
I was not aware that the 6 speed autos had a dipstick for the trans since my buddies 06 mustang has the same fill cap/dipstick setup as mine. I believe some of the trucks may have still used an actual dipstick on earlier models, but it would be way to long for my application.

BD
I'm pretty sure my 2013 GT had a dipstick for the transmission.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
So I had the exhaust side VCT solenoid replaced and it seemed to fix all of my shift issues.

rickytan05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pierre
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1 28i
I just recently bought a 2019 ford mustang gt premium and coming from 3 dodge challengers scat packs/srt/Se
I knew something was wrong with the transmission hard shift in any drive setting right away so I took it in the dealership today and was updated with a software update and itā€™s a worlds difference in driving!!! Thank you guys at this forum for all the information given!
Sponsored