Sponsored

1000 Mile Fluid Change

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
I'm going to change my oil/filter at around 1000 to 1200 miles. I've already ordered the filter and I plan to use AMSOIL. Now my question is do you guys plan to change your transmission and/or your diff fluid as well? With my BMWs, after 1200 miles the dealer would change all those fluids so I think it makes sense, but I don't want to introduce any problems by not getting the friction modifiers correct or something. Interested in what the community is doing.
Sponsored

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
I don't advise changing transmission or rear diff fluid unless you damage it somehow. Its an extra chance for something to go wrong, and they aren't exposed to the same combustion byproduct and condensation issues as the engine.

That said submerge the rear diff in water or get them really hot at the track, do change the fluid.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I would argue that changing all fluids after the break-in period is a good idea for the same reason you're changing the engine oil - particles of metal, gasket material, and other debris that works its way loose during the break-in will affect other closed systems just like the engine oiling system.

Is it a necessary procedure? Obviously not, as there are millions of vehicles running around with the original fluid in transmissions, rear axles, even power steering and brake systems. But if you're conscientious enough to change the engine oil early for this reason, why not consider the other systems as well?

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
I find myself agreeing with MAV and also xt6wagon! I'll add that the tranny and diff are subject to much less "wearing in" than the engine. Also, on the off chance some "wear particles" took out a bearing in your trans, that's probably 10x cheaper than your engine's cylinders or camshafts getting trashed by same.

It's interesting that my compact utility tractor (35hp diesel) specifies changing the front axle oil (almost 2 gallons of gear oil), transmission (7 gallons), hydraulic oil and of course engine oil at the first 50 hours.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's all about tolerances. Your rear diff and transmission have much bigger tolerances compare to your engine.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While researching and deciding what to do, I found it interesting that Ford uses automatic transmission fluid in the manual tranny. :crazy:

Maybe that is a miss print. I wonder if Redline or Amsoil manual transmission fluid would be better?

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Nah, they've been doing it since the T5 days.

OP
OP

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah another quick search and I realize that many others do the same thing. Interesting ...

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Yeah another quick search and I realize that many others do the same thing. Interesting ...
The Jeep Wrangler I had called for engine oil in the transmission.
Heck motorcycles been doing it for decades.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
While researching and deciding what to do, I found it interesting that Ford uses automatic transmission fluid in the manual tranny. :crazy:

Maybe that is a miss print. I wonder if Redline or Amsoil manual transmission fluid would be better?
GM is basically the same. They use "synchromesh" fluid that you buy from GM but it's commonly used in Ford and aftermarket transmissions in place of ATF, when it's specified.

Sponsored
OP
OP

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I decided to go ahead and order everything needed to replace all the fluids with the exception of coolant and windshield washer fluid in the car. If anyone else is interested, here is what is required and/or what I decided to go with:

Engine Oil - AMSOIL 5W50 - 10 Quarts
Engine Oil Filter - Motorcraft FL-2069-ST

Tranny Fluid - RedLine D4 ATF - 2.5 Quarts (I obviously ordered 3 quarts)
Diff Fluid - RedLine 75W85 GL-5 - 2.05 Quarts (I ordered 3 quarts to be safe)
Friction Modifier - RedLine Additive - 4.25 oz (I ordered 8 oz again to be safe)

I'll let you guys know if I run into any issues but I don't expect any.

arsenalrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Op, yes BMW calls for 1200mile all fluid flush for manual M cars.

I remember when I got mine done at 1200mile, the tech has to use computer to open up the "gate" to the tranny cooler so he can flush the fluid in it. I am not sure if the design is the same for gt350. if the tranny cooler and diff cooler has a gate to control the fluild (only open if it gets too hot), then you won't be able to flush it yourself.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
So what do they put in from the factory? Do they put in the same lube package as what is recommended for future changes, or do they put in special break-in lubrication?

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Op, yes BMW calls for 1200mile all fluid flush for manual M cars.

I remember when I got mine done at 1200mile, the tech has to use computer to open up the "gate" to the tranny cooler so he can flush the fluid in it. I am not sure if the design is the same for gt350. if the tranny cooler and diff cooler has a gate to control the fluild (only open if it gets too hot), then you won't be able to flush it yourself.
They used to have it on all cars. But when they changed the maintenance schedules only M cars kept the 1200 mile service. The maintenance schedule change was likely due to cost reasons since BMW covers the maintenance. So service intervals were most likely pushed to its limits. .

I asked my shop foreman.There is nothing special done through the diagnostic software that gets removed, opened, changed etc. The service indicator gets reset through the software, that's it,but only for this service, any others get done through the gauge cluster. BMW probably just really wants this to get done at the dealer I guess. Even if you're a DIY'er and don't use the maintenance plan. And the fluids are a drain and fill with filter change. Nothing is "flushed".

When you do a trans fluid level check on SMG's there are "test plan" procedures that involves the computer to check fluid levels that involve trans temps. The manuals is just the plug check. And I I remember correctly the SMG's don't get touched at the 1200 mile.
Sponsored