HPDE/Track day camera

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
I think @ihasnostang and @tosha summed it up best. It comes down to what you’re looking for. I’ve used both set ups, and extensively researched a number of options before going Catalyst.

For me, it came down to simplicity. The Garmin just works, and does so, pretty much every time, with very little messing around with it. I use cheap Amazon suction cup wire holders to wrangle all the wires out of the way. (Set up/Tear down takes 5 min, done and done.)

In my Lemons car we use a GoPro or Logitech Mevo. You can for sure do more robust data logging with a GoPro, and the various companion apps.

Or LiveSteam with the Mevo, which is neat for family and friends who may want to watch in real time. But, live overlays are a very complicated process that involve some spendy equipment.

Or, if you’re really into that sort of thing, the Aim Solo and companion cameras by Aim offer incredibly robust features. But $$$.

At the end of the day, you have to decide what is important to you features wise, and what you intend to use the video for. (Self improvement, showing off to friends, monitoring what the car is doing while lapping.)

I love the post session analysis, and video of the “perfect lap” the Garmin creates.
Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I love the post session analysis, and video of the “perfect lap” the Garmin creates
A quick tip - I connect a bluetooth earbud (airpod or whatever), put it in the ear and put a helmet on and drive. That way I have live coaching with great sound clarity on track.

Overall, I love messing with data, but I just don't have time to do it at all after track weeknd is over. Garmin works for me exactly because of that - it's stupid simple and easy to use.