Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
But isn't that the SOP high[er] performance domestic model variants (and many imports for that matter)? Upgrade, improve an existing model/chassis?

Z06 = GS + Supercharger, ZR1 = Z06 with bigger supercharger and additional aero, Hellcat = Scatpack + supercharger (technically difference displacement), Hellcat Redeye, Hellcat + bigger supercharger, Hellcat Redeye Widebody = Redeye + bigger fenders and tires.

I'm not sure how much anyone expects to be done where it's simply an improvement over an existing vehicle[?]

The fact that the GT500 got a slick, unique-to-the-model DCT as a major differentiator is pretty f***ing cool.
I am not saying the DCT isn't cool, its great,shifts twice as fast as the 10 speed. The new GT500 will beat all in its class. We all knew it would be a 5.2 motor.To me it should have had a bigger motor and went well over 200mph.I am not saying it's a terrible car at all.I do like the front on the GT350 better.
Sponsored

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
But isn't that the SOP high[er] performance domestic model variants (and many imports for that matter)? Upgrade, improve an existing model/chassis?

Z06 = GS + Supercharger, ZR1 = Z06 with bigger supercharger and additional aero, Hellcat = Scatpack + supercharger (technically difference displacement), Hellcat Redeye, Hellcat + bigger supercharger, Hellcat Redeye Widebody = Redeye + bigger fenders and tires.

I'm not sure how much anyone expects to be done where it's simply an improvement over an existing vehicle[?]

The fact that the GT500 got a slick, unique-to-the-model DCT as a major differentiator is pretty f***ing cool.
I remember when the only info that really came out about the GT500 was some FORD guy saying it was a GT350 on steroids. To me that seems true.It will be so much more faster than the 350 R.I am looking for this car to be close to the zr1 vette in performance. :like:

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
iris.jpg

Technical Specs

443 hp Max. power
3.5 s 0 - 60 mph
3.3 s 0 - 60 mph with Sport Chrono Package
191 mph Top track speed
72.9 in Width w/ mirrors folded
177.9 in Length

I don't know. It will be interesting how it compares with something like this. By the time the dealers tack on the ADM"s it will probably come close to the 119,000.00 the 2020 911S is priced at. (which is down over 250hp to the GT500) Funny the 911 has no problem going over 190mph.

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
THat's a sexy looking car.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I remember when the only info that really came out about the GT500 was some FORD guy saying it was a GT350 on steroids. To me that seems true.It will be so much more faster than the 350 R.I am looking for this car to be close to the zr1 vette in performance. :like:
It will be better but the ZR1 is so much lighter it will always be slower in every aspect. Faster then the GT350 to be sure.

Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
I’m curious. When is the gods honest truth last time you been over 180 mph?
I don't buy that only 180mph because of tires or any of that air flow crap. The 2013-2014 GT500 was a 200mph car with shit tires from Goodyear on it. The new GT500 is more slippery than the old one. This car should have been closer to 210mph maybe. With that 180mph cap tells me the new GT500 is nothing more than a new GT350 R with a blower on it. :lipssealed::curse::angry:

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Back on track,

Just saw this.

The spokesperson followed up to clarify that the limited speed of 180 mph on the car exceeds any of the speeds the team was able to accomplish in development and testing, on both the physical tracks they tested at and in virtual simulations.

https://jalopnik.com/ford-none-of-you-were-going-to-do-180-mph-in-a-shelby-1833303593
Well much of that article may be true, however the track I frequent must be the oddball. If i can slowly creep up to 175ish in an R, I think a car with more torque and HP could do a hell of a lot better. Wow, so it really was an arbitrary number and really wasn't attributable to any particular limitation. Smh.

It sounds to me like something a lawyer or legal team would think up to avoid some kind of product liability down the road.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
Well much of that article may be true, however the track I frequent must be the oddball. If i can slowly creep up to 175ish in an R, I think a car with more torque and HP could do a hell of a lot better. Wow, so it really was an arbitrary number and really wasn't attributable to any particular limitation. Smh.

It sounds to me like something a lawyer or legal team would think up to avoid some kind of product liability down the road.
I don't know if they mean they could not hit 180mph in all 3 versions of the car, or just in the carbon fiber track pack one.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don't know if they mean they could not hit 180mph in all 3 versions of the car, or just in the carbon fiber track pack one.
I gathered all would be equally restricted.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
I gathered all would be equally restricted.
Yes, I think so.

I just meant that if they tested all 3 versions of the GT500 on the same track, what was the top speed of the other two base versions. 180mph? or less also like the track pack.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Someone didn't wake up one day and say we are going to govern the top end speed because any faster is unnecessary.
I guess someone did wake up one day and decided to impose some arbitrary limit on the top end speed of the 500.

Back on track,

Just saw this.

The spokesperson followed up to clarify that the limited speed of 180 mph on the car exceeds any of the speeds the team was able to accomplish in development and testing, on both the physical tracks they tested at and in virtual simulations.

https://jalopnik.com/ford-none-of-you-were-going-to-do-180-mph-in-a-shelby-1833303593
An interesting article.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Interesting to hear the rationalization against the need for ~200mph top speed for the 700+hp 2020 GT500 in contrast to how Ford rationalized the hardware it took to get the '13/'14 662hp GT500 to reach that same top speed (and we all know it was close but no cigar).

Politics ruins everything eventually.

waterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZLE, 2013 Honda Si, Grandad's 67 C2 L89
It is a horrific sight. The wall at turn 4 in Daytona has an area that is decorated with impact marks every year due to tire delamination (blow outs). This is the reason I back off the throttle a bit heading into turn 4 (despite my attention to proper pressures, temperatures, and alignment).

The tire delaminates usually because of a lack of tire pressure. This creates an undue burden on the sidewall and the tire begins to shred itself apart. This usually inflicts significant damage to your car, and the car behind you. Aside from that, there is the controllability issue that ensues. Most would think to get on the brakes. All that does is aggravate the controllability issue due to the drag differential and loss of partial traction.
Brilliant observation (staying off of the brakes). I remember seeing this video a few years ago, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpzslRUipY . At Daytona, Corey Friedman in a 911 RSR lost his right rear @180+, watch his right leg.
FWIW, I've never run Daytona, but it's on the bucket list.

Anyway, I guess the point being made is that maybe this subject has something to do with the speed limit on the 500. I read the article that someone posted and a lot of the points made make more sense now. Unless you have an OEM vehicle that has been designed to go 200+ MPH, then people probably shouldn't go 200+ MPH in that vehicle. I always say there is a difference between 140 and 150, a bigger difference at 160, pucker factor near 170, and I cant imagine having a problem at 200+ MPH.... Tires are always my biggest concern operating at speed.

I believe the cup 2 tires are Y speed rated. This is a 186+ MPH tire. I don't know how much more speed the plus means (kinda like 700+ HP), but cup 2's are used on cars that are in the 200+ MPH class (918 spyder and others for example). So I doubt the speed limitation is related to tires.
Agreed on the speed rating.

FWIW part 2 (and slightly off topic), Goodyear is doing some pretty amazing things with their street legal R compounds, specifically the F1 SC 3Rs (Y rated). Remarkable contact patch. They do take a little longer to warm up but are very consistent and predictable. 3Rs do not get greasy after a hero lap or two. They are extremely wear resilient for UTGQ 100, even in high (2.7+) camber settings. There are indications that GY is expanding sizing for the 3R. I'm hoping to get a staggered set for my Dad's C6 ZR1 to run at VIR this fall. IMO, Cup 2s get greasy after 2 or 3 on GC, even in autumn. BONUS; 3Rs are American made, sticky as heck and less expensive than Cup 2s.

I digress, back to the point;

2020 is an emission and auto safety regulation year. Although I am surprised by Fords decision to limit top speed on the new GT500, the legal team in Dearborn, likely have a greater say in this matter than the engineers. Even more likely the EPA and the US Office of the Inspector General have a LOT to do with this decision because of the impending 2020 regs.

Get your ICE Performance cars while you can boys and girls. As I believe that the performance renaissance that we are living in now, is soon to become a thing of the past. Safety limitations are coming to EV as well.

While I am on a rant. When we pay the gas guzzler tax, are we not as citizens entitled to all of the benefits thereto? Don't forget to vote ladies and gentlemen... Liberty is one heck of a freedom to lose.
Sponsored