[?] '18 Intake Manifold on '15-'17

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Below is a transcript between myself and Brandon from Lund Racing concerning the 2018 manifold:

(ME)

"In the next 1-2 months, I will be installing a 2018 GT manifold on top of the engine in my 2016 GT. From what I understand on the mustang6g.com interwebz, you folks at Lund have a decent tune for this upgrade. When I switch to this higher flowing manifold will I need to upgrade my injectors? I have a set of Ford Performance 52lbs/hr injectors. Will those injectors be suitable to my Flex Fuel tuned, 2018 GT intake equipped setup?"

(Brandon)

"Those injectors will be perfectly fine. These will work great if you plan on using the 18 manifold and E85. I would recommend if you get the 2018 Manifold that you lock out the IMRC's for less of a head ache. The 18 manifold has been a really popular mod lately and has done fairly well. Let me know if you have any questions!"

(ME)

"I know you can "tune out" the CEL that will be thrown by locking out the IMRC's, but does eliminating the IMRC function diminish the low end torque in any significant way or affect driveability?"

(Brandon)

"The low end will be at part throttle and once you're past 2500 rpm they stay open the entire time. So this low end torque is nearly unusable as we're never in this range when the car is at peak performance. This is why we say lock them out."

In short, this conversation I had with LUND is making locking out the IMRC's very tempting. I already have a set of pigtails that I got from EODTech87 (very nice product!), so right now I'm on the fence on whether to lock them out???

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
why lock them out if the y connector is in the making? with that a true plug and play kit will be available and shouldn't have any codes. right? I was told that locking out imrc is more suggested for boosted cars?

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
why lock them out if the y connector is in the making? with that a true plug and play kit will be available and shouldn't have any codes. right? I was told that locking out imrc is more suggested for boosted cars?
that's what is confusing me. Should I just get a 350 IM, keep the f150, or do the 2018? I got the pigtails from EODTECH but should I just lockout the IMRC's? I am an auto with 3.55's. So many decisions. :frusty:

Sponsored

EODTech87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I've talked to several people who had tuning issues that were working with Brandon so it wouldn't surprise me if they're just saying to lock them out because of these issues. I was working with Dakota and he had the tune figured out and everything working correctly very quickly. I told Dakota about the voltage issue and he sent me a tune right over that fixed the P2005 code. The people who are working with Brandon mention it and he says the wiring is messed up and the tune isn't the issue.

Even with the IMRC Adapters and my Y-Connector tuning will still be necessary to make the ECU happy.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
that's what is confusing me. Should I just get a 350 IM, keep the f150, or do the 2018? I got the pigtails from EODTECH but should I just lockout the IMRC's? I am an auto with 3.55's. So many decisions. :frusty:
If you wind up bailing on the MY18 IM, I might take your adapters, I'm local-ish (down in St. Augustine).

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
(Brandon)

"The low end will be at part throttle and once you're past 2500 rpm they stay open the entire time. So this low end torque is nearly unusable as we're never in this range when the car is at peak performance. This is why we say lock them out."[/B]

In short, this conversation I had with LUND is making locking out the IMRC's very tempting. I already have a set of pigtails that I got from EODTech87 (very nice product!), so right now I'm on the fence on whether to lock them out???
Except that, while driving up to like 80 mph on the highway, I'm sub 2,500 cruising... even with 3.73 gears. Car is not always being driven in "peak performance mode" (i.e., on track). That's why there are IMRCs...

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
I am just waiting for my y connector than paying my 100 dollar retune to lund. talk to John Nardi and they know about the locking out or leaving imrc. so I am not going to lock out until boosted.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Except that, while driving up to like 80 mph on the highway, I'm sub 2,500 cruising... even with 3.73 gears. Car is not always being driven in "peak performance mode" (i.e., on track). That's why there are IMRCs...
Car is just fine with the 18 manifold and cruising.

kwikS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Car is just fine with the 18 manifold and cruising.
Yup. When cruising at ~2k rpms in 6th gear my car feels fine. No problems on the highway in cruise control at 65mph.

If anyone is interested I ended up quitting trying to get the 18 manifold to work with the PP2 tune. I ported my 18 manifold, locked out the IMRCs, upgraded to 47lb injectors, and went with a Lund flex fuel tune to tie it all together.

The car seems to be running very strong with this setup, especially on the top end. Over the weekend my 5.0 walked a couple stock 392 Challengers and just edged out a full bolt-on/drag radial (and maybe some weight reduction) 392 Challenger by the top of 4th. Would have walked the FBO 392 pretty good if I was on better tires.

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
Anyone gone with anyone other than Lund for a tune yet with the '18 manifold?

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
Anyone gone with anyone other than Lund for a tune yet with the '18 manifold?
I'm going with AED as he said he tunes for the 18 with both lockouts and IMRCs active. I currently have a PBD tune and haven't been too impressed with it so going back to AED which has always been awesome in the past for me.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going with AED as he said he tunes for the 18 with both lockouts and IMRCs active. I currently have a PBD tune and haven't been too impressed with it so going back to AED which has always been awesome in the past for me.
Thanks. Thats what I've been wanting to here. An alternative to Lund.
Sponsored