Sponsored

Thinking of switching whipple to turbo, please discuss

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Debating this same question...interesting stuff in this thread. I don't know why but in my neck of the woods, the few TT s550s are SLOW, all blower s550s tend to be quicker. Most are max effort stock motors.

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
The only way to figure out which power adder suits your needs is to try both, and that is exactly what I'm doing I have the Whipple stage 2 right now and I have ordered the Boost Works kit with the custom manifolds. It might be a mistake or it might work out better at the end of the day I will sell whatever doesn't work for me. Most people are going to support what they have and say it's the best thing since sliced bread you need to come to your own conclusion, the grass may be greener on the other side then again it may not be.:doh:
I'm highly debating doing this

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Debating this same question...interesting stuff in this thread. I don't know why but in my neck of the woods, the few TT s550s are SLOW, all blower s550s tend to be quicker. Most are max effort stock motors.
On3 or similar crappy setups maybe.

Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
One is a Hellion

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Not the 1st time I have heard about twin turbo'd S550's getting gapped on the street by blower S550's...:headbang:

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
Not the 1st time I have heard about twin turbo'd S550's getting gapped on the street by blower S550's...:headbang:
Y'all come see me, that is if I ever finish lol.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Y'all come see me, that is if I ever finish lol.
TH400 gonna be ok roll racing? Or is that not what youre setting it up for?

I just wince every time I see a modern car put a 1970's transmission in. I dunno know why but just pains me lol

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I just wince every time I see a modern car put a 1970's transmission in. I dunno know why but just pains me lol
We will find out lol. Setting up for 1/2 and 1 mile mostly. I got tired or smoking clutches with the Whipple, didn't want to do that with the TT. If it doesn't work well i'll switch back.

Sponsored

Burnin4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Much depends on the tune, boost, and transmission. Auto's can be difficult to roll race but mop up mt82's at the strip. I'll let supercharged S550's take the hit then I'll reel them in and vanish.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Many variables behind all of this tune, traction, launch rpm etc it is safe to say that 9 times out of 10 a supercharged car will pull away from a turbo car if it's not spooled up. The turbo doesn't really start making power until 4000 rpm and that's when the hp & tq come together and it starts to move, the turbo will ALWAYS make up the gap and pull away at the top end it has been proven time and time again. Usually blower cars run faster et to the 1/8 with less mph than a turbo but once the turbo hits the 1/8 the rest is history it will back half and leave the blower car behind every time.Now there is the odd time that a turbo setup is tuned right and all the moons align then it will run the front half of the track equal to or better than a blower car. PD blowers are fun as you have instant power at 2500 rpm plus but there is a price to pay as it takes a toll on the belt drive system to run the blower meaning snout, balancer, keyway, idlers and tensioner. Turbo's run off the exhaust but they are sensitive to turbine speed if it's low then no power so the key to them is to have them in the sweet spot for rpm then they move. Both work well but the way I see it is the turbo's will make more hp & tq with less boost and they really don't start to shine until over 20 psi and that's when the real potential is revealed.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

Going TH 400 or Powerglide is as bullet proof as it gets and yes you are giving up the OD, and yes I know you can buy the gear vender OD but who's going to spend that kind of money. Once you have a dead reliable set up under the tunnel matched with the right converter and gearing all will be forgotten, there is nothing worse than having constant transmission or clutch problems.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Going TH 400 or Powerglide is as bullet proof as it gets and yes you are giving up the OD, and yes I know you can buy the gear vender OD but who's going to spend that kind of money. Once you have a dead reliable set up under the tunnel matched with the right converter and gearing all will be forgotten, there is nothing worse than having constant transmission or clutch problems.
I get all that, but what you give up is drivability and tune-ability. There is no way a TH400 setup for 2000whp is going to shift all nicey nice, downshift without putting your face in the steering wheel, and feel like youre beating on the car just cruising on the highway at 70mph at 4200rpms. Maybe I don't know enough, but that's my biggest gripe.

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get all that, but what you give up is drivability and tune-ability. There is no way a TH400 setup for 2000whp is going to shift all nicey nice, downshift without putting your face in the steering wheel, and feel like youre beating on the car just cruising on the highway at 70mph at 4200rpms. Maybe I don't know enough, but that's my biggest gripe.
No, you are correct. I look at it as a necessary evil for my goals. I really hope i'm not at 4200 in 3rd (1-1) with my 3.0 rear gear. That would suck!
Sponsored