Sponsored

If money was not a limitation, would you really purchase the 'R' over the GT350?

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Until recently, the wheels were $15k for a set(someone found them for 10), if you were to damage the wheels somehow, or curb them, I imagine it would be an absolute pain in the ass to repair them, if it was even possible.

Even if you were to never damage them, the wheels are a prime target for theft. I personally wouldnt feel comfortable leaving my R parked out of sight, or for very long in a public place. Definitely not overnight anywhere. They only need but a couple of minutes to put your car on blocks(if they are nice, unlike the one GT350 where they just left his car sitting on his brakes.

I also cant see your insurance company keeping you on their policy if youre having to make claims for $10-15k just for a set of wheels. Thats the price of a brand new econo car.

In short: I wouldnt be able to take my car on trips, and would always worry if todays the day my car is sitting on bricks.
The OP asked "If money were no option"... That would preclude the fear of injuring a wheel.

However, to solve a wheel concern I simply fixed that by getting these...
image.jpg

My CF wheels will be reinstalled for track duty. 99% of the time otherwise, the N4S wheels will serve a valiant purpose. This option also allows me to have a set of summer tires for more rain-weather security, while I leave the sport cups on the CFs.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
If money were no issue, I would have an R regardless of ADM. I would probably still have a Tech (or 17) too.

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
If there was no ADM and available, I would've gone R in a heartbeat.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
With all due respect if you had an opportunity to drive both cars back to back on the street or the track I suggest that it would be a very easy decision to make.

Just because someone buys an R model doesn't mean that it has to be tracked and the performance difference on the street between the two cars is certainly noticeable as well in looks, uniqueness and especially in sound.

Certainly cost is a factor but availability is probably more of a factor otherwise many more enthusiasts would be purchasing R models if they were available.

:cheers:
Your perspective (after previous debate) is what inspired me to order my R. Lets face it, despite both sides of the discussion, after it is all said and done, the R is more collectable and more rare than the average (if there is such a thing) GT350.

For that reason, and that alone, I feel the R is worth the investment. I don't think many can disagree with that point.

Again, thank your for your timely input and its effect on my decision.

abcut973

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C63 AMG Black Series, ML350 Bluetech
The OP asked "If money were no option"... That would preclude the fear of injuring a wheel.

However, to solve a wheel concern I simply fixed that by getting these...
image.jpg

My CF wheels will be reinstalled for track duty. 99% of the time otherwise, the N4S wheels will serve a valiant purpose. This option also allows me to have a set of summer tires for more rain-weather security, while I leave the sport cups on the CFs.
Sweet! Are they forged?

Sponsored

JeremyGSU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(former) '04 C5 Z06
With all due respect if you had an opportunity to drive both cars back to back on the street or the track I suggest that it would be a very easy decision to make.

Just because someone buys an R model doesn't mean that it has to be tracked and the performance difference on the street between the two cars is certainly noticeable as well in looks, uniqueness and especially in sound.

Certainly cost is a factor but availability is probably more of a factor otherwise many more enthusiasts would be purchasing R models if they were available.

:cheers:
I haven't driven either but I'd be curious to see if you slapped some R springs on the regular track pack and some light weight wheels with Cup 2's how different they would be after that. I think they would be a lot closer for sure. The tires plays a huge part.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Like some have said... be like Ben and get both! ;)

I'd use the Tech daily and the R for weekends and track. And the thing I like the most about the R... aRRR' the wheels.

tuckerware

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Lightning Blue on the way
Money no object - of course the R. Though I echo the concern about having wheels damaged/stolen.

Not to mention that Pilot Sport Cups are not the best tire for a street car. Even in sunny California we can get morning temps in the 20s -30s.

So I like the idea of a nice forged wheel for the street with Pilot Super Sports and stock setup for track days.
Sponsored