Up, down, down, up FPC

Nate22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I've noticed if anyone changes the crank on a gt350 they go for a crossplane swap, due to vibration, reliability, and/or availability, I'd assume. But has anyone ever tried to do an up, down, down, up flatplane crankshaft. More like a traditional flat plane crank engine, instead of the up, down, up, down, that ford decided to do for whatever reason?
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
But has anyone ever tried to do an up, down, down, up flatplane crankshaft.
Not that I have heard of. It would be a neat experiment. Hardest part would be sourcing cams.

OP
OP
Nate22

Nate22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Not that I have heard of. It would be a neat experiment. Hardest part would be sourcing cams.
I would think a set of one off custom cams would be easier to make than a one off custom crankshaft. But idk.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I would think a set of one off custom cams would be easier to make than a one off custom crankshaft. But idk.
Ha Ha, yes that would also be difficult.

Need to find someone who is friends with Gene Haas.

KJNVUDU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
I can't believe it! I just started an hour ago at the beginning of this forum to make sure this wasn't already discussed, and then I make it to the first page!
I have had the same question.
I have heard that the exhaust sound was their reason for the up down up down.
Switching may aid in reducing some of the longitudinal vibration (along the crank axis.) But not help with the second order vibration (? I can't think at the moment what it's actually called )
I must say I am in NO way an engineer. Originally, when i first got the 350, I was naive in the respect that I figured ford had exhausted most options for this engine. But now I realize the reality of compromises that must be made between all the groups within a big organization.
I am very curious to know how an up down down up crank would work. Even going as far as destroke a little.
I have spoken to a crankshaft manufacturer up in Wisconsin about this, and it seems like it would not be so astronomical of a price tag to try it. I know cams and other things come in to play here that would add cost. As well as stand alone engine control and tons of balancing work. And would probably try a dual intake setup.
I'm sure I will be told to just throw a cpc in it and let her eat, but I just can't help but wonder if there is a way to keep our beloved fpc and not have everything bolted to it vibrate to death.

Alright, let the flaming begin!!

Chris

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nate22

Nate22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I can't believe it! I just started an hour ago at the beginning of this forum to make sure this wasn't already discussed, and then I make it to the first page!
Switching may aid in reducing some of the longitudinal vibration (along the crank axis.) But not help with the second order vibration (? I can't think at the moment what it's actually called )
I must say I am in NO way an engineer. Originally, when i first got the 350, I was naive in the respect that I figured ford had exhausted most options for this engine. But now I realize the reality of compromises that must be made between all the groups within a big organization.
I am very curious to know how an up down down up crank would work. Even going as far as destroying a little.
I have spoken to a crankshaft manufacturer up in Wisconsin about this, and it seems like it would not be so astronomical of a price tag to try it. I know cams and other things come in to play here that would add cost. As well as stand alone engine control and tons of balancing work. And would probably try a dual intake setup.
I'm sure I will be told to just throw a cpc in it and let her eat, but I just can't help but wonder if there is a way to keep our beloved fpc and not have everything bolted to it vibrate to death.

Chris
Yes ive heard it was mainly because of the sound too. Which is kinda crazy. But yes it should help with primary balance.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
The main problem with the UDUD arrangement is the need for counter weights on the center cylinders. This adds weight which negates the benefits of the FPC.

Why they went for sound is beyond me. Maybe so people won't call it a Ferrari engine???

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I am very curious to know how an up down down up crank would work. Even going as far as destroke a little.

Chris
So who's the crankshaft manufacturer is Wisconsin? Just curious - I'm having thoughts about building a "lower-case voodoo", essentially a regular Voodoo fitted with a custom crank and rods to deliver the magic 2.0 rod to stroke ratio. It'd displace 4.2 liters. The factory ECU could run it without a lot of changes. I figure that if Porsche can get 525 hp out of a 4 liter GT3 engine at 8500 RPM, what's the problem? I probably won't do it, but it's fun to think about...

KJNVUDU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350

KJNVUDU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
And I respectfully challenge the counter weights.

I remember the first I read of the gt350. The author had made the comment that for being a fpc, ford didn't shave much weight. I think udud is partly why.

The 5.2 crank actually has counter weights opposite of all four rod journals. The LT5 crank below, appears to have half the weights. I'm sure there larger, but I bet you could lighten a bunch in there. And like said, get a good rod/stroke ratio.

images-1.jpeg
2015-11-11_11-48-24.jpg

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
Dan, At least part of the size difference could be explained by the Ferrari being a much smaller displacement.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Dan, At least part of the size difference could be explained by the Ferrari being a much smaller displacement.
The smaller displacement is also why they don't have all the problems with vibration Ford and GM are having. I think the F1 V-8's had 1.5 inch strokes? IIRC they had no center counter weights.

OP
OP
Nate22

Nate22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
The voodoo being up down up down is 100% why they need so much counterweight vs a up down down up. Basically makes it being fpc almost useless.