Should I do any maintenance on the convertible top hinges etc

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I have a 2021 and so far it works great, love how fast it goes up and down.
I plan on keeping this car for 10 or more years and wondering if I should spray the hinges with some sort of lube to keep everything moving. Any suggestions or Ideas?
Sponsored

Oilspot6G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Convertible
Our last convertible was a Volvo hard top with a lot more moving parts. The shop manual had some lubrication instructions, and recommended a "non sticky" lubricant used sparingly. I'll see if I can find the info. However, I only did the procedure maybe twice in 14 years. Obviously the points would be different, but same principle. The trick is to get a lube that is more wax-like that doesn't attract dust and grit. I know Amsoil makes a HD lubricant spray that dries waxy and claims not to attract dust.

OP
OP

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Our last convertible was a Volvo hard top with a lot more moving parts. The shop manual had some lubrication instructions, and recommended a "non sticky" lubricant used sparingly. I'll see if I can find the info. However, I only did the procedure maybe twice in 14 years. Obviously the points would be different, but same principle. The trick is to get a lube that is more wax-like that doesn't attract dust and grit. I know Amsoil makes a HD lubricant spray that dries waxy and claims not to attract dust.
Curious what spray others recommend

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
I agree on the Amsoil Lubricant spray. That's what I use on my conv top hinges. I just try to put a rag behind the hinges so I don't get overstay where I don't want it.

OP
OP

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I agree on the Amsoil Lubricant spray. That's what I use on my conv top hinges. I just try to put a rag behind the hinges so I don't get overstay where I don't want it.
Can you post a link or a picture when you have time? Looked in their site and see a silicone spray and a metal protector?

Sponsored

OP
OP

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
The convertibles are awesome, aren't they?
Yes, honestly I wanted a convertible and wasn’t looking at a mustang at first. Though it would ride rough and be too small but was pleasantly surprised when I drove one.

Sponsored

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
1000012143.jpg

Yes, honestly I wanted a convertible and wasn’t looking at a mustang at first. Though it would ride rough and be too small but was pleasantly surprised when I drove one.
It was my dream car as early as the 1990 LX 5.0 convertible. I finally got one after all these years

OP
OP

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
1000012143.jpg

It was my dream car as early as the 1990 LX 5.0 convertible. I finally got one after all these years
I had a 69 428cj Mach 1 in the late 70 and owned a few but when I had kids ( now 22 and 27 ) I switched to 4 door Hondas.
My sister tried to sell me her 2005 convertible a few years back but it was cramped and loud. Remember driving 75mph and sounded like I was doing 120.
Ford had done a good job making it a performance car but still comfortable.

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Agreed, i mean who needs a back seat anyway! Lol. And the mustang ride is great….
I'm fond of that color....
Agreed again that burgundy/red with the black roof is a great color combo

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I used this on mine. Sprays like penetrating oil then sets up thicker.
IMG_1202.jpeg
Sponsored