Rev happy.

Mikes_Slow5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
So I just did a twin disk clutch and a lighter flywheel and holy shit does the fly wheel make a huge difference on how quickly the car revs. It’s running a 2.9L Whipple supercharger with fuel rails, fuel lines, and injectors. It’s going back into be tuned and have an eGauge tuner installed. Right now the car is set at 8k redline and I wanted to know how safe that is. It only has 19k miles and I plan on doing upgraded oil gears this winter but what else is needed to make sure that the engine is safe hitting the 8k mark. I was thinking about dropping the rev limiter to 7500 to be on the safe side but wanted to see what everyone thinks.
Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I've always wondered why more people don't do lighter flywheels but apparently it can make daily driving more of a chore.

Let us know if you'd do it again after some more time.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I did a single mass flywheel and stage 2 clutch on a G35 years ago...sounded like a cement truck in neutral...had to engage the clutch to keep from being embarrassed. Are the S550s duel-mass flywheels?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikes_Slow5oh

Mikes_Slow5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
I've always wondered why more people don't do lighter flywheels but apparently it can make daily driving more of a chore.

Let us know if you'd do it again after some more time.
I would ABSOLUTELY do it again. It drives way better and feels way more alive, I just want to make sure that 8k RPMs isn’t going to throw something through the block. Lol

OP
OP
Mikes_Slow5oh

Mikes_Slow5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
Kinda like the car lost 500 lbs, right?
It’s amazing how much difference it made. It even changed the way the car sounds. I knew it would make a big difference but it’s way more than I expected.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
8K on the stock valve springs... I dunno about how long that's going to hold up.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Yeah without the stock dual mass flywheel, I'd play it safe too. Add the fact that you're supercharged and it supports that decision even more.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mikes_Slow5oh

Mikes_Slow5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
8K on the stock valve springs... I dunno about how long that's going to hold up.
Okay so what else would you do to make sure it’s safe at 8k? I’m having it retuned and I’m dropping the rev limiter to 7500. Is that safe RPM.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
7500 should be good, just a gut feeling at this point. If you want to go above that, obviously a good set of OPG's and crank sprocket, Triangle Speed Shop are probably the best out there right now. I would upgrade to a set of PAC springs if you want to turn it above 7500. It doesn't have a lot of miles on it, but the engine IS 9+ years old.

OP
OP
Mikes_Slow5oh

Mikes_Slow5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
7500 should be good, just a gut feeling at this point. If you want to go above that, obviously a good set of OPG's and crank sprocket, Triangle Speed Shop are probably the best out there right now. I would upgrade to a set of PAC springs if you want to turn it above 7500. It doesn't have a lot of miles on it, but the engine IS 9+ years old.
Good information brother. I appreciate it

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Lesson I've learned the hard way with modding is don't be greedy and always want more and more.

Unless you're racing that extra 500 rpm is just not usable IMO.

OP
OP
Mikes_Slow5oh

Mikes_Slow5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
Lesson I've learned the hard way with modding is don't be greedy and always want more and more.

Unless you're racing that extra 500 rpm is just not usable IMO.
I just want to make sure the car is safe to have fun in. I’m not doing much other that e85 performance wise. Now it’s about making the car capable of handling the power it has now. It’s a summer toy that will only have 5-6k miles a year put on it and I’ll spend more money on looks than anything.
Sponsored