Sponsored

Is this paint damage something I can fix myself?

Shad5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
My first post here and unfortunately not under the best of circumstances. I was being a goof and scratched the hell out of it backing into a single car garage at night with no proper lighting. I was quoted $850 to repair, which seems excessive so I'm wondering if I can just get the tools and touch up paint to fix this myself? If so what exactly will I need? Thanks.

IMG_0310.jpeg

IMG_0309.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shad5oh

Shad5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
NO. pay a pro to do it. Being a silver , metallic (magnetic ) paint very hard to get blended perfect With out it looking like shit. It will have to be blended up the guard to the roof line etc.

pay the money once and you will be happy.
Alright, thanks.

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
likely not completely. But you can definitely reduce it maybe. How much will depend on how deep. Finding out is pretty easy and cheap. If you have an Orbital DA polisher, grab a country lake medium cut pad, and some 3D One. You could go with a high cutting pad and high cutting compound. But typically if 3D One doesn't work its best left to pro's.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
You might be able to get a little bit out yourself with a polisher but those look pretty deep. You’re well into the base coat and perhaps down to the metal/plastic in some spots. A good shop will have it looking good as new.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It's difficult to tell from the pictures but my guess is you'll find so deformity in the body lines once it's cleaned up some.
I really don't think $850 is outrageous considering it will come back indistinguishable from before the scrape.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
My first post here and unfortunately not under the best of circumstances. I was being a goof and scratched the hell out of it backing into a single car garage at night with no proper lighting. I was quoted $850 to repair, which seems excessive so I'm wondering if I can just get the tools and touch up paint to fix this myself? If so what exactly will I need? Thanks.

IMG_0310.jpeg

IMG_0309.jpeg

You could do it, it's just going to look like s*** have a pro do it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Get some rubbing compound and buff it out. It will look much better, then have a pro fix it.

Paddles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT
You could always use the money toward investing in yourself. Do some studying, grab some gear, and mess it up a few times until you learn how to do it like a pro.

$850 to a good shop probably cheaper and faster though.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Get some rubbing compound and buff it out. It will look much better, then have a pro fix it.
Yes - buffing compound will get the surface stuff out. However the scrapes look primer deep, so you’re not going to be able to fix that on your own, not with metallic paint (any metallic paint).

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
Spot on I believe it could be rubbed off remember house paint is not as tough as automotive paint I believe it looks worse than it is if it dented paint less repair can fix that

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Don't use one of those r mobile guys.get an estimate from dealar.im guessing that 2000 job at a pro shop.justvhave a pro shop do it
Classic collision I in most cities in us

SnowFox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grabber
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2017 ECOboost, Saleen S351
It's difficult to tell from the pictures but my guess is you'll find so deformity in the body lines once it's cleaned up some.
I really don't think $850 is outrageous considering it will come back indistinguishable from before the scrape.
I didn't see the price. That is actually a pretty good price and well worth it with less hassle imo

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; With my first few cars I did not have the funds to pay a shop to fix such damage. My first few attempts were mediocre at best. Over time I got some better. Painted a few cars/vans/trucks without a decent booth and did fair. But even after years of such trying, I could not match a good shop with a good booth and all the proper equipment. I did get a decent paint job on a 1963 Olds cutlass I restored. Learned a lot about buffing and wet sanding.

Gets down to what you can live with + what you can afford. I have known some who fret and fall apart over hard water stains. Others who will shrug it off figuring driving a car on the street will yield "patina" from use.

I doubt an inexperienced person can make it look good. You can however likely make it look a lot better. The shallow scratches likely can buff out. Hard to say how much. The deeper scratches can be filled in with touch up paint to the point most folks will not notice, but you will.

Thing is no street driven daily driver escapes scratches. I do not know the way you use the Mustang. The scratches pictured are not minor to be sure. A thing is as long as you do not get too aggressive and with the caveat no metal is bent, then you can learn something and likely cannot make it worse.
note- DIY can make things worse for first timers. A rattle can spray can get paint on other places if you do not mask. Power tools such as buffers can cut thru the paint in a blink. There is a satisfaction to a DIY job if it works out halfway decent.

Good luck.
Sponsored