Sponsored

How to tune Ghost Cam (Solved+WriteUp, PCMTec)

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Edit: GOT IT WORKING CHECK OUT DETAILED POST / WRITE-UP HERE

Original Post:
What's the best way to tune for ghost cam on the 15-17 GT (auto)? I have the cams now I just need it to chop so everyone knows I'm cool.

I know there is lots of info over on hptuners forum but I think it would be cool to have some more tuning conversations on this forum aswell. (Mods can we please get a separate self-tuning section?)

If you are reading this and want more info on tuning your cars read up my TDStuart Tuning Adventure thread.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Unplug spark plug wires for cylinder 4 and 8
I should have clarified, my apologies.

I want a ghost cam tune that chops at idle but also runs like normal 😆 . (Lund struggles to do this)

Sponsored

88workcar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT wt Performance pkg
I should have clarified, my apologies.

I want a ghost cam tune that chops at idle but also runs like normal 😆 . (Lund struggles to do this)
It was my understanding that this is exactly what a "ghost cam" tune is. ???

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
The Boss 302 came with a factory ghost cam tune that kicked in when you used the red key, IIRC. It intuitively seems like it would be bad for the cats but if it were that bad, I don't see how Ford could have offered it.

That said, it's imperative that one understands how mapped points work before embarking on this particular journey. I've seen people change the location of mapped points to get the cam timing they're after, which is the completely wrong way to do it because now that entire mapped point will not be calibrated correctly. A ghost cam tune can be done without moving any mapped points, thus retaining the valid calibration data so nicely supplied by Ford.

That said, Ford may not have spent much time at all calibrating, say, mapped point 25 (-20/20 coordinate) to idle smoothly because they knew they would never try to idle it there. So, it may take a little playing with the MBT and torque tables to get it stable. Also, by nature, a ghost cam will pump some unburned oxygen into the exhaust system which causes the O2's to read lean and it will erroneously add fuel to compensate. The Boss 302 has some O2 offsets calibrated, I'm assuming to correct the issue.

What would really be cool is to use PCMTec multi-tune to have one slot be a ghost cam tune. In that way, you could switch it on and off easily just using the cruise-off button.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Why are you worrying about ghost cam tunes when your tuning issues are all over the place? Get your car right before you do any of the "play" stuff.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Why are you worrying about ghost cam tunes when your tuning issues are all over the place? Get your car right before you do any of the "play" stuff.
Just a thread for the meantime

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
PCMtec has no coyote tunes before 2014.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
You can find an old boss tune in the hpt forums and open it in hpt. There are separate tabs for the track key so you can see exactly what’s different when using it.

It also uses dashpot idle control rather than target-N, but I don’t know that we can force that part to happen.

Might be able to steal some torque and mbt data though.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
What would really be cool is to use PCMTec multi-tune to have one slot be a ghost cam tune. In that way, you could switch it on and off easily just using the cruise-off button.
This is how I do it on my car when I want to run ghost cam. It's the most ideal situation. There are some intake and exhaust cam rate limit tables that should be tweaked to slow the cam transition movement down when doing it like this. In my car it didn't like when I switched it instantly to the ghost cam setting, but adjusting the rate limits helped a ton. It also helped for when it settled back down into the ghost cam idle when driving.

This is a super tame ghost cam test, just doing -5/15 on the cams for testing purposes.

Snellemin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt, '14 Expedition, Merc C300, Scion xb,
This is how I do it on my car when I want to run ghost cam. It's the most ideal situation. There are some intake and exhaust cam rate limit tables that should be tweaked to slow the cam transition movement down when doing it like this. In my car it didn't like when I switched it instantly to the ghost cam setting, but adjusting the rate limits helped a ton. It also helped for when it settled back down into the ghost cam idle when driving.

This is a super tame ghost cam test, just doing -5/15 on the cams for testing purposes.

That sounds nice.