Sponsored

Cool (to the touch) shift knobs?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Part of the reason I pay under $400 a year for car insurance on my GT is that I don't drive it in the colder months. So I could care less how cold the shift knob gets and how long it takes to warm up in the colder months.

Right now it's in the 90's and when I get in, all the aluminum parts take 5-10min. to cool off. This includes the aluminum piece on the OEM shift knob.

One question might be, does anyone cover theirs with something that prevents it from getting as hot from direct sun exposure?

Another is, do those solid black or white or any other shift knobs not retain heat making them cooler to the touch in the summer months?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Get a sunshade maybe?
They do sell socks for shifters.

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
I have a white cueball style plastic shift knob on my MGW - I don't get burned, ever...I use a sun shade, generally, but even when I don't, on a hot day, no problems...metal shift knobs are a bad idea in the summer...back in the 2001 BULLITT days, there was a guy on those forums who uploaded a picture of a shift pattern burned into his hand.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a white cueball style plastic shift knob on my MGW - I don't get burned, ever...I use a sun shade, generally, but even when I don't, on a hot day, no problems...metal shift knobs are a bad idea in the summer...back in the 2001 BULLITT days, there was a guy on those forums who uploaded a picture of a shift pattern burned into his hand.
My concern with the sunshade (which I should probably use because I park in direct sun all day to avoid birds, bugs, trees, and other cars) is that it'll scratch/mark up the interior (posts/dash/etc.) when putting it in place and taking it down. Do they make soft ones that don't harm the car at all?

And the cue ball style is what I was curious about. Although, to be honest, I'd go with black over white given I have a darker themed car.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
My concern with the sunshade (which I should probably use because I park in direct sun all day to avoid birds, bugs, trees, and other cars) is that it'll scratch/mark up the interior (posts/dash/etc.) when putting it in place and taking it down. Do they make soft ones that don't harm the car at all?

And the cue ball style is what I was curious about. Although, to be honest, I'd go with black over white given I have a darker themed car.

Thanks

-Emt1581
I have been using Intro-Tech sunshade for years, in a Thunderbird, three Mustangs, and an F150 - they are soft, roll up, have Velcro to hold them together when rolled, foil looking silver material on one side, white on the other, works great, no issues at all, won't hurt anything in your car, I just leave it in the back seat all summer, no issues in any way, it's great!!!

Sponsored

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I heard baby socks over the knob will help. Cheap and effective or get a new custom knob. I got a Raceseng knob with derin on it and it works pretty well.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I have the MGW gripper knob and it barely gets warm in the west Texas heat. I think it is also made of delrin. I really want a Raceseng knob but the price....
Maybe after I get caught up on my mod list.

Lost Cosmonaut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Fastback - Oxford White
Billiard ball style or Delrin knobs will stay cool in summer. Billiard ball and delrin are different in feel though, the billiard ball styles are nice and heavy dense plastic whereas delrin is usually lighter and doesn't feel as good shifting unless it's weighted.

Twisted Shifterz makes a good billiard style shifter on the cheap with lots of options. Made in the USA and I have dealt with the company that makes them for Twisted Shifterz and they make a great knob.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billiard ball style or Delrin knobs will stay cool in summer. Billiard ball and delrin are different in feel though, the billiard ball styles are nice and heavy dense plastic whereas delrin is usually lighter and doesn't feel as good shifting unless it's weighted.

Twisted Shifterz makes a good billiard style shifter on the cheap with lots of options. Made in the USA and I have dealt with the company that makes them for Twisted Shifterz and they make a great knob.
Twisted Shifterz...are they the ones that make the billiard with Fuckin Fast for 6th gear?

Always wanted one of those!!...Even though 6th is the slowest gear.

EDIT: Yup, here it is...

http://https://www.twistedshifterz....oducts/f-in-fast-black-new-6-speed-shift-knob

Not the most ornate and I think some others look nicer. But definitely, simple and to the point. We'll see...

-Emt1581

Last edited:

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
I live where the heat and sun are extremely aggressive. I also have a metal Anarchy Motive shift knob (which is awesome, by the way).

I use a sunshade and throw a white rag or tee-shirt over the shift knob when I leave the car. If I don't, shifting becomes a hasty procedure by necessity. With the sunshade and rag, though, I've no problems.

Sponsored

ewitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB PP SB
In the large 6G shift knob thread, Anarchy Motive mentioned that he had some 'coozies' that he could include with a shift knob order.

I have one of his cue ball style knobs and they are great if you like that style knob. I just ordered a plain knob without engraving and it arrived in a few days. Not sure about the turnaround on custom engraving though.

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
I have a sun shade from American Muscle and a white Hurst shift knob to combat the sun. Both do wonders. The sun shade is pricey, but after trying various types available at Pep Boys to no avail, it was evident it was the only logical choice. It's well made and does not scratch anything.
Sponsored