5.2L V8 Ford Voodoo Engine Will Not Be Offered As A Crate

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
But they are going to have a predator crate engine.

I think Ford learned the UDUD crank doesn't work as advertised.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Just like not saying what causes the voodoo to blow and use excessive amounts of oil I'm sure they're waiting till the last production year powertrain warranties run out and then it will be leaked out the real reason the flat plane crank didn't work out.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's too bad there's no option between $7K and $25K. I'd definitely be in the market for a Voodoo crate if the pricing were ~ double the Coyote (and Ford offered it). At more than 3X cost, the 5.2 options seem like a poor choice. Probably smarter to choose a lighter vehicle instead of finding a more powerful mill.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350

Do you mean the Aluminator? Or do you know of a street legal Predator that will be offered. If my Voodoo goes out of warranty and the car is in otherwise great shape (garaged and not driven in winter), I would consider a 5.2L CPC either crate or if someone is doing it a build out if the block remains intact. Would love to see that engine NA in a S650 platform Boss but doesn't look like that will happen for lots of reasons.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Both of mine are awesome, not one regret or concern. And one‘s got gen v whipple on it.

Just like not saying what causes the voodoo to blow and use excessive amounts of oil I'm sure they're waiting till the last production year powertrain warranties run out and then it will be leaked out the real reason the flat plane crank didn't work out.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
"Sources tell us that the Voodoo might not be entirely capable of living up to the high performance expectations of crate engine customers since it incorporates a unique hardware design that includes balancers, as seen in the Shelby GT350."

Lol - first of all - "sources tell us" these days, means "We're about to throw out a wild ass guess".

Secondly - IF I was going to wild-ass guess as to why, I'd somewhat agree here. The oe car is designed and prepared for the nuances of the voodoo. Putting. a voodoo in a hotrod, like MANY hotrodders like to do is going to involve custom exhausts, solid motor mounts and other things that could create a bad overall experience when using a motor like the voodoo.

I like it - means this truly is the only car that will get this FPC motor and fewer swaps with this motor as well.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ford said from the beginning that they weren't going to sell you a Voodoo engine unless you bought a GT350 to go with it. They said it wouldn't be offered as a crate and it wouldn't be installed in any other cars.
I remember in Jay Leno's Garage episode they talked about it (although I think Jay managed to get an extra engine out of Ford anyway because he is special).

So IMO this speculation about Voodoo performance, longevity, etc. is just that. The Voodoo is a really special engine and Ford decided to keep it that way.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The Voodoo is a really special engine and Ford decided to keep it that way.
I think Ford gambled on a different flat plane crank design and it didn't pan out. Sure it works good enough but even Chevy used a conventional UDDU throw design. I'll bet they don't have trouble with oil filters vibrating loose. I also believe the harmonics from the UDUD crank were a surprise and Ford did not want to spend the money to properly dampen them.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Your obviously a mechanical engineer, right? Ford’s issue with the voodoo was a hand built motor the likes of Merc., Porsche, etc. but produced with a Ford supply chain. Straight from the horse’s mouth, head of the Ford Performance program while at the Track Attack. As for not spending the money. It’s very common knowledge when there has been an issue with any of these engine’s Ford get’s it rectified and replaced quickly. It always cracks me up when a bunch of bench racers on the internet some how think they are more qualified then the actual dozens of engineers that developed a particular program from scratch. I’ll leave alone it coming from those that don’t even own or in almost all cases’s have zero first hand experience with these cars.:ontheloo:

I think Ford gambled on a different flat plane crank design and it didn't pan out. Sure it works good enough but even Chevy used a conventional UDDU throw design. I'll bet they don't have trouble with oil filters vibrating loose. I also believe the harmonics from the UDUD crank were a surprise and Ford did not want to spend the money to properly dampen them.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

I would pay good money for a custom crank and cams to give this motor a proper U-D-D-U configuration.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I would pay good money for a custom crank and cams to give this motor a proper U-D-D-U configuration.
Why? Lol. It will lose its signature sound and sound just like all the other traditional euro flat plane engines. Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing, but the Voodoo is unique.

IMO the exploding motor syndrome is definitely more common than other engines but not the 100% people seem to imply. Regardless of its vibration heavy nature, it's not inherently flawed.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
you might not understand how engineers work. They don’t gamble and I doubt there were any surprises…well they might have been surprised that even dealer mechanics can’t follow oil change directions ;)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wouldn't bet anything on the quality of an all new Chevy engine.

One thing I do like about the Chevy design is that they made the bore large and the stroke short. I'm sure Ford engineers would have loved to do that, but the accountants didn't allow it.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Why? Lol. It will lose its signature sound and sound just like all the other traditional euro flat plane engines. Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing, but the Voodoo is unique.

IMO the exploding motor syndrome is definitely more common than other engines but not the 100% people seem to imply. Regardless of its vibration heavy nature, it's not inherently flawed.
Because the unique sounds is a side effect of a design that has all the negative harmonics of both a traditional cross plane and a traditional flat plane crank design. I sont know of any other flat plane crank engines with 5.2 liters of displacement so it will still be unique, but maybe it won't shake itself apart.

I also want to hook the Tremec DCT to it so I'm full of all the wrong desires compared to the usual GT350 owner.
Sponsored