OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
I've decided to order the 6 piston brembo calipers. I can't find the fixed rotor design for the 4 piston for a decent price locally. In the long run the 6 piston will be cheaper as I can get those rotors without importing.

Thanks all for your inputs!

Now on to figuring out how to cool these properly without permanent modifications that catch attention...
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The perfect solution for me would also be running the deflectors, but that would mean getting a GT PP splitter and belly pan. Those shipped to me together with the deflectors, after tax and duty would be close to $1500. The hose kit is only $400. It unfortunately means changing back to the fog lights after every track day and removing everything for inspection.

Modifying the stock bellypan with ducts would still require me to purchase a secondary belly pan to pass inspection reliably without raising eyebrows and have them looking at the rest of my "OEM" looking mods.

Shipping costs for such large items are just ridiculous even though it weighs next to nothing.
Yeah I feel ya.

Another option is to make a splitter which includes ducts. Do it right and when you have the stock belly pan on there the splitter mounting hardware would be invisible. Take off the belly pan, snap on your splitter (with ducts integrated into the splitter design), slap on the deflector plates and go track. There is a small issue with the fender liners though, and making splitter mounts is a bit of a project. It would be pretty rewarding though, but overall probably more expensive than just going with the JLT ducts.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The perfect solution for me would also be running the deflectors, but that would mean getting a GT PP splitter and belly pan. Those shipped to me together with the deflectors, after tax and duty would be close to $1500.
If you have anyone in your area that can bend and roll sheet metal, you could get the same place a lot cheaper. It's not a complex floor shape.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but that would mean getting a GT PP splitter and belly pan
you missed my ghetto mod, post. Take HomeDepot dryer vents, cut a hole and drop them in. Not perfect, but basically free. otherwise you can make your own 'ducts' with a heavy knife and some plastic wedges welded in. Bellypan plastic is intended to be sliced and diced.

Last edited:

FordMustacheGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I think you're making the right decision by going with the 6-piston brakes!

Because it affects acceleration and overall handling, for that reason people spend thousands on lightweight rims and 2 piece rotors. The Ecoboost isn't already the most powerful car so I'm just not sure if the downsides are worth the extra braking performance.

Though I have no experience with this and not sure if I would even feel the difference, just something I've been told by people saying that BBK aren't always worth it if you don't need it.

I think I'll probably end up with the 6 pistons anyway, maybe I'll try once more with the fixed rotor design and go from there.
I do understand that the higher rotating (and unsprung) mass associated with the larger brakes will have an impact on acceleration and handling, but I do not think that it will cause you any significant issues. If you have concerns, you can use lighter 2-piece rotors with the 6-piston calipers, or you can install lighter wheels.

Best of luck! Are you going to drive on Spa Francorchamps?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
Best of luck! Are you going to drive on Spa Francorchamps?
Yes I will, haven't been tracking the car for a couple of years now and I'm preparing everything to get back to it. The 6-piston brakes along with yokohama ad09 semi-slicks will be a joy!

Here is a clip of my first (and most recent) track day on Spa, this is where I cooked the stock brakes and tires and haven't been to it since.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Here is a clip of my first (and most recent) track day on Spa,
What a place! I bet it was cold and miserable and spectacular and amazing all in one.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
How do the 4 piston stock GT calipers fare on track with just a pad and fluid upgrade I wonder?
They work just fine unless you go to some super sticky tires, like slicks. Add cooling but even the 6 pots need that too.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The problem is these aren't the performance caliper for this application, so manufacturers don't offer good track compounds for the 4 piston caliper. EBC makes decent AutoX pads, but they won't put up with full track duty.
Hawk and G-loc make pads for the 4 pots.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Hawk and G-loc make pads for the 4 pots.
Do they use the high-temp, track compounds with these pads? EBC doesn't make any real track compounds (or at least they didn't). Those 2 options might be a lot better for big track. I think when you start running big tracks that it's time to go to the bigger brake package, regardless.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Walt

Walt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost MT
this is what I did, https://kennybrown.com/collections/...ront-brake-cooling-duct-kit-2015-2024-mustang a lot cheaper than the PP conversion. Run the ducts to the middle of the lower grill, I just zip tied them behind the grill, easy to remove the ducts in the off season. Kenny Brown knows his stuff.
I ordered the belly pan and splitter from my local dealer, it was expensive for a bunch of plastic, honestly more expensive than the brembo 6 piston calipers themselves.

However now I don't have to deal with ducts and removing the fog lights or cutting up the stock belly pan. These modifications also look stock so I won't have trouble with state inspection.

I ordered the vorshlag brake cooling deflectors but they sent me the wrong kit... Luckily they accepted it and are sending a new set. Hopefuly I won't have to pay duty and taxes twice as this is getting very expensive for 2 pieces of metal.

Other parts are in, unfortunately received one defect brake rotor from Zimmermann so having to wait to exchange that as well. Track day at circuit Zolder is coming up soon. All that's left is installing everything and deciding which tires I want.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
At 3:38 the tower says 17C (63F), a bit cold for the summer yes. That's probably winter temp for what you guys are used to in So Cal :sun:
Not even, as our tracks are in the Mojave Desert, your first run will be about 55-60 (we call it PB season), 2nd run will be mid 80s, and afternoon tend to be 100+. Not much fun if you do Time Trials, because if you don't hit it in the morning, it'll be pretty tough to hit it later on. We tend to take a break over the summer because it's too hot (and much, much hotter inside with a fire suit) and race through our "winter."
Sponsored