Sponsored

Will the S550 SVT be Sold Overseas

NRMStand

We are talking about the SVT variant, as in the hipo model. It makes more sense to refer to it as the SVT since no one really knows yet what it will be called tho it is likely to be the GT350. It is not the same type of marketing label as the Shelby since the SVT team actually does the engineering and development.

Ford has made no such announcement that RHD conversion would be done for the hi-po or special editions primarily because there has been no announcement regarding whether it will be officially sold in the UK or Australia.
Sponsored

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
The S550 has indeed been announced for both UK and Australia as well as Europe. No more details as to which models within S550, other than the EcoBoost 4. That doesn't necessarily mean that special editions will or won't make it there... emissions and safety certification and testing costs (which differ across multiple markets), may rule out very low-volume cars. We'll have to see. It's not in the next year in any case.

SVT now is not what SVT was 10 years ago or 15. It's just specialized engineers called into the main body to engineer delta features for a special edition. It's not a separate group like it was - that led to ridiculous testing and quality issues and huge service problems which put an end to the original methodology. That's all done now by the same people and by the same methods - and the quality and consistency of the end model is considerably better than it was.

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Agreed low quantities, but not all countries are as bad as Scandinavia or Netherlands. Middle East has zero tax in general. I lived in the Netherlands and you would be amazed at how many m3's, 911's, ferrarri's, rolls, etc that are on the streets even though the price is three time the usa price.
Someone who's in the market for a 911 (especially an upper trim level), Ferrari, or Rolls Royce isn't even considering a Mustang. Those are exotic vehicles or close to exotic in the case of a 911. A special edition performance Mustang is a nice car, but it's not in the same class as any of those cars you mentioned and is not something buyers of those cars would cross-shop.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Anything you change or convert on a car after it leaves the production facility is 10 times more expensive than when you had it done at the factory to begin with. That goes for RHD conversions too.

RHD option is simply an aspect that has to be embedded into the technical design of the vehicle and from there on additional production costs are zero to none. It's the way European manufacturers (including Ford Europe) have been doing it for ages. US Ford now for the first time has adopted this into a Mustang design.

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue
They are doing it themselves. That's already been announced.
When third parties have done it in the past, such as the 2000 Cobras in Australia, the price has practically doubled and the quality failed. The only right way to do this is to engineer it that way from the first, and to engineer all the pieces side-by-side. As a recent example, look at how well the Chevy SS is doing in press reviews (now imagine a properly done Falcon-type vehicle).
And don't say "SVT" - that's just a marketing label anyway. The primary engine for overseas s the EcoBoost 4.
If other LHD vehicle manufacturers (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, VW, Porsche, Volvo, Alfa', Fiat et.al.) have no problems producing ALL their performance variants also in RHD, there would be an obvious business case for Ford to produce RHD SVTs - and as they are already making the base models in RHD, would be grossly incompetent if they failed to!

And you are spot on, why don't Ford AU export a LHD version of the FPV range to the US ??? It would transform their viability.

As a percentage of Falcons sold in Australia, I understand the EB4 has been way below Fords expectations. I would not be at all surprised if the EB4 Mustang went the same way in AU. We are used to V8 performance cars in AU, and notwithstanding the drivetrain varients offered, I would anticipate the Mustang will be primarily positioned as the Performance Halo car, replacing the Falcon GT and current FPV Range (which will sadly be discontinued when Ford AU cease production in 2016).

http://www.fpv.com.au/

Sponsored

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Someone who's in the market for a 911 (especially an upper trim level), Ferrari, or Rolls Royce isn't even considering a Mustang. Those are exotic vehicles or close to exotic in the case of a 911. A special edition performance Mustang is a nice car, but it's not in the same class as any of those cars you mentioned and is not something buyers of those cars would cross-shop.
I did not imply they are in the same league, my point is simply that more people in Europe drive expensive cars irregardless of the taxes than we think. In the Netherlands there is raptor club, dealers that specialize in American trucks, etc. they will sell more than you and I think.

Not necessary true of the svt crowd, colleague has 911 and a shelby gt500, drives the shelby more, I walked away from an m3 after owning another BMW to buy a gt500. When living in Europe, I had a explorer for a year, and it was treated like a Ferrari by people, in cologne hotel manager wanted to trade brand new 5 series for a 8 year old explorer straight across. The hotel had a private courtyard for unique cars, they put the explorer in there. Europeans are intrigued by unique cars. Actually I think easier to make market to the rich for svt, then the regular mustang to the average guy

OP
OP
UOP Shadow

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
Someone who's in the market for a 911 (especially an upper trim level), Ferrari, or Rolls Royce isn't even considering a Mustang. Those are exotic vehicles or close to exotic in the case of a 911. A special edition performance Mustang is a nice car, but it's not in the same class as any of those cars you mentioned...
Agreed.

We own a 2013 GT500 & the interior is basically the same cheap plastic crap as in the regular Mustang. No where close to even Acura interiors.

Please don't jump in saying Mustang isn't the same class or customer base as Acura. The bottom like is that a $30K Acura has a much nicer interior than a $60K Mustang.

OP
OP
UOP Shadow

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
No further updates? Anybody hear anything about the good stuff going overseas?

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Nope. Just EB and GT have been announced and it will be Q2 2015 before those cars even arrive here. My guess is you will need to wait at least another year before anything on the top versions will be announced if any. They haven't even been announced for the US market yet. And when they do my guess would be that Ford will supply the US market first and wait and see how the EB and GT are doing overseas before they decide on export. Personally I would be utterly amazed if a GT350 or higher will ever make it here. Way too small volumes.

But who cares, if you want one just import it yourself!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
No further updates? Anybody hear anything about the good stuff going overseas?
Nope. The UK press has only covered the December 5th launch, nothing more. However, there will be a BBC Radio show on 17th April that will cover the Mustang's birthday. A researcher recently visited one of our monthly meets to get some soundbites from the owners :)

But who cares, if you want one just import it yourself!
:headbang:
Sponsored