Sponsored

New Caroline Car Modification Bill

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
So this supposedly just passed in North Carolina and is set to go into effect December 1st. My current opinion is while this currently really won’t affect us (me), I see this starting a slipping slide of further hard regulations until you can’t modify a single thing on a person, road legal vehicle.

thoughts?
373B1858-67C5-40E2-83B6-53EE09BFB108.jpeg
Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
This will kill the lifted and lowered truck communities in North Carolina.

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Twister Orange M2425 Chassis
Virginia has had a similar law for people jacking up their pickups. Front lift blocks are not allowed. Vehicles under 4,501 GVWR have a max bumper height of 28 inches in the front and rear. Vehicles between 4,501 and 7,500 have a max bumper height of 29 inches in the front and 30 inches in the back. As far as noise, motor vehicles, such exhaust system shall be of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment or other equipment that has been submitted to and approved by the Superintendent or meets or exceeds the standards and specifications of the Society of Automotive Engineers, the American National Standards Institute, or the federal Department of Transportation.

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
When they started measuring bumper height here, guys were jacking the body with spacers for lift. Now that's illegal too.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
When they started measuring bumper height here, guys were jacking the body with spacers for lift. Now that's illegal too.
What's the justification for this bill?

Sponsored

Nardly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernard
Vehicle(s)
Some people don't like lifted pickups. They blame them for throwing up rocks and cracking windshields. I had a 4 inch lift on a 78 F150 and I was right at 28". Some guys would also lower their bumper!

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Some people don't like lifted pickups. They blame them for throwing up rocks and cracking windshields. I had a 4 inch lift on a 78 F150 and I was right at 28". Some guys would also lower their bumper!
well.... in Alaska, where they use gravel for traction, like legit gravel and sand, half the massive truck community would toss all the rocks up and smash everyones windshields, I would replace 2-3 windshields a year. but insurance is free there, its a policy there and they had to fix them without increasing policies of some sort.

all I know is I went through atleast 20 windshields in 8 years give or take. they REFUSE to equip mudflaps, they think they are ugly. but if they just did that, wouldn't have those broken windshields.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
They should have just revised it to make it illegal to have the front higher than the back.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Sweet Caroline, Good times never seemed so good.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I don't think it's a factor of trucks throwing debris while cruising down the highways - hell, you could get a window chip or body damage from any passing vehicle, lifted, modified or factory built.

C'mon, we've seen some of the crazy lifted trucks that are so high that the lifted method is questionable AND stability IS a safety factor...

Then there's the new trend of trucks running with steam roller rims that protrude 8" past the fenders... so be prepared for the next bill limiting tire widths... LOL!

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
The bill addresses the "Carolina Squat" and it does apply to cases where the front is lifted but not the back or the front is lifted and back lowered. It doesn't apply to those cases where the entire vehicle is lifted (read the change in the posted copy of the bill).

The Carolina Squat is stupid, not just from the standpoint of looks. With only the front lifted the driver can't see anything in front of him, making it dangerous at intersections and pedestrian crossings. The headlights end up misaimed blinding oncoming drivers.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
North Carolina is not the state many think it is. Border line it’s becoming the next New York.
All the ding dongs from New York & Jersey are moving there and taking their liberal bullshit with them.

MikeDawg5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
As someone born and raised here in NC and a true libertarian at heart, I’m glad something is being done about the squatted trucks. It is dangerous for these stupid trucks to be blinding everyone they meet on the road with their shitty auto parts store LED headlights beaming straight into someone’s face. I hate they had to pass yet another law to do anything about it, but it’s also illegal to handle it the old-fashioned southern way.

And speaking as someone that has had multiple windshields busted from trucks with their stupid wheels poking 8” outside the fender, I hope they are next on the chopping block.

What happened to these trust fund babies buying sports cars with mommy’s money? What made them change over to these dumbass squatted trucks?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Did you even read the OPs post? It won't kill lowered or lifted trucks or cars.

Like previously stated, this is aimed directly at "Carolina Squat" trucks. The trucks that are lifted in the front and lowered in the back. I don't know how such a stupid trend gets started, but it is dangerous that's why they are putting this in place. In a Carolina Squat truck, you are literally looking at the sky. There's no way to accurately see where you are going.

I live in NC. I'm glad this trend will be banned.
Sponsored