Sponsored

thePill's 2015 Review and... teardown...

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Some of my Facebook friends on here probably already know that a 5.0 was picked up today. I figured I would give some details about the car here first. A disclaimer first, this car is on its way to be torn down. It does not belong to me nor am I on that team. I have already been specifically told to not give out details about the build. Do not go into details about any classes, not because it is a secret but, they are not sure what it will.do once the usual stuff is swapped out. It is a Bare bones GT, No Premium, No PP and No options. It was specifically ordered like that for weight reasons... As you read this, the 2015 GT has already been corner weighed... I am very, very happy with the base weight. The GT does NOT have Recaros so, once I am aloud to speak, I will let you know what the numbers were.

It also.came with 18 inch wheels so, I believe these are lighter which is why it was so light. It was scaled on empty, 50 miles to E, 1/4, 1/2 all the way up to full.

My first impressions inside, man, what a new car this is. But, there are tiny reminders from the S197. Its fast, very responsive, very entertaining and it feels faster to 60 than the last car. It holds the road pretty good but, the 18s can come lose.easy. No TC on, they broke it in pretty good.

The whole car feels better, in fact, a lot of that harshness is gone completely. When you corner, its just flat... There are some laps being done tonight I was told, probably at the Beav. I won't make that, I am working 7 days a week until further notice.

It didn't take long for me to get hooked. I got some freedom.with it but nothing too crazy. I love the car, it was there with a 2014 Roush and it just made it look soooo dated. I am ready to buy on exterior alone, I was pretty excited about the scale results and many thanks for the invite today.

Hopefully, I get a decent look at the GT while.it goes through the sanctioning process and being prepped to spec. I am waiting for that invite but, I doubt the guys want someone in the garage.

Update: Balance... Man, the GT is nearly 50/50 from left to right. Its pretty much correctly advertised. They experimented with some tire pressures and got closer to 50/50. This is not a scientific practice but, it does tell them that near 50/50 is in the rake. There is no performance data to tell if this is beneficial or not... probably not. But, it is good to know once you change the ride height.

Update: IRS. It is tucked up in there pretty good. I don't think all seasons are doing this thing justice. I hoping they drop it so I can see the whole thing and the structure.

(cont...)
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Good luck with the build. After my visit with the dealership today, the base model is looking very tempting. It doesn't strike me as 'rental car' like a base S197 did and for those looking for serious performance, most of the fancy bits will be torn out anyway.

The base cloth seats were surprisingly comfy too. I'm starting to question the need for Recaros.

Skipping the PP also makes a lot of sense now. The 15" Brembos restrict a lot of 18" wheel choices that might fit 14.6" Stoptechs that offer similar or even superior braking performance. The Torsen is really the only thing I would miss. The suspension would be torn out regardless of the Ford upgrades. I'm thinking KW or AST.

WestRace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3
Mr. Pill,
Thanks for the write-up.

How do you think about the body stiffness compared to some of the higher end cars? I've test driven a E90 BMW and it just felt rock solid.
How does it feel over bumps? Does it have any secondary vibration?

Sponsored

OP
OP
thePill

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
It is a 6 Speed... It was $32,9xx out the door, I have a pic of the window sticker just in case.

The carpet is coming up tomorrow, I doubt I will be invited for pics. Roll cage construction is being guarded.

I really need a track day with some better tires to tell you how good it really is. It is worlds better than the S197 in base form. My wife fell in love with it, she commented on how much smaller it was, how different the interior was and the styling was very attractive. When the Roush was side by side with an EB, you can really see the retro in the S197. The cars maximum dimensions are the same but the overall mass has been reduced. She loved the new fascia... It is a beautiful little sports coupe.

I won't talk about weights unless I can use the pictures. I'm not going on record again like the GT500 Ring time and getting slaughtered for 2 years until someone corners the car. It is near 50/50 from drivers side to pass with a slight forward bias. That forward bias can probably be evened out by changing the rake although, they have zero proof that it benefits performance right now.

I haven't received word on the track runs if any...

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I believe the L/R 50/50 weight distribution. Most of the corner weights we've seen with the S550 have been extremely close. Also, by 6 speed I assume you mean manual...as both transmissions are 6 speeds lol :thumbsup:

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
So why are you not allowed to say how much the stock car weighs? I don't see why this should be a secret.

SynisterGT

Kooks + Corsa FTW!!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Mag/Redline
When can we expect weights?