Sponsored

S550 SVT Cobra: 5.2L NA Engine Details & More

OP
OP

KZStang

I see this thread starting to taper off but wanted to put my .02 in....

The only way I see a 5.2 n/a engine reaching the 600hp is by using a flat plane crank design. Its been said its out of left field but hey it makes sense...especially for the Euro market. Wont sound like an american v-8 but it sure will scream!
It would certainly help it get there, along with some benefits such as weight savings and the crank needing less radius so the engine would not be as tall. Hood clearance is a concern with the redesign obviously. This could help.

I do agree tho, an inferior exhaust note to a "standard" Mustang.... very unlikely.
Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I see this thread starting to taper off but wanted to put my .02 in....

The only way I see a 5.2 n/a engine reaching the 600hp is by using a flat plane crank design. Its been said its out of left field but hey it makes sense...especially for the Euro market. Wont sound like an american v-8 but it sure will scream!
I don't know about that crank, it may or may not be used.

I personally wouldn't mind a different sounding 8, and I hate to say it, I'm not a fan of Coyote's firing order - preferred the previous modular's order.

OP
OP

Melino

Different sounding v8 is fine, if it went with that design wouldn't it basically just sound like two 4 cylinders together?

I'm not even sure that would sound better than the V6 note.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Different sounding v8 is fine, if it went with that design wouldn't it basically just sound like two 4 cylinders together?
Not exactly. More like a single four running at twice the rpm unless you get real close to only one of the exhaust pipes. Sort of like the sound of an X-pipe on V8's with crossplane cranks. Higher pitched and "smoother" in character.

I'm not even sure that would sound better than the V6 note.
It helps if you appreciate the sounds of high-revving 4-cylinder sport bikes, and to a lesser extent 6 cylinder engines.

Norm

OP
OP

Vickstang

Interesting read on flat plane crank. If the Mustang went flat plane crank as the latest rumors say it could change up the whole character of how the car drives and sounds.
Sponsored