Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
From this "Road and Track" article...

4250 (rpm)

All of the new Mustang GT’s 400 lb-ft of torque arrive before 4300 rpm, with peak power arriving at 6500 rpm, prior to a 7000 rpm redline. Most impressive, though, are the cylinder heads: Ford says the 5,0’s new cast units flow at the same rate as the Boss 302’s CNC pieces. Achieving this took over 100 redesigns of the intake and exhaust ports (Ford tried 4 designs before settling on the original Coyote V8 back in 2011) and a new intake cam design, which has been pinched from the perilous, track-only Cobra Jet.
Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
IIRC, that's basically the same RPM as the S197 torque peak. But what I'm interested in knowing is what the torque curve from 1500 to 4250 looks like. Hopefully it ramps up more quickly.

Thanks for posting, Tony. There's a few interesting tidbits in that article. It's exciting to see all of these new pieces of tech information trickling out.

deeps29

Bizarre Edition!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Interesting article. Thanks for the link, Tony.
As more technical information keep coming up, I'm getting more excited about the new Mustang.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
"That’s the size of the new, beefier axles in the Mustang GT—aluminum pieces for manual transmission models, iron for autos. Ford says these components still fit within its tried-and-true 8.8 packaging and that, in order to offset weight gain, the GT automatic uses a redesigned torque converter that’s 5 lbs lighter than the 2014 equivalent."

If I understand it correctly the manual gets the iron case and the automatic gets the aluminum case. - Reason for more weight gain on manuals vs. automatics. This also helps weight dist on V8. I don't know what the 9.75" reference is to. It's still a 8.8 rear end diameter. I think it is possibly to compare it to the equivalent strength of a 9.75" rear end in a 8.8 package. People writing have trouble expressing the technical data maybe. It's not clear if they asked but like everyone else I would like to see a dyno graph of the 2.3 and 5.0. I assume it it much flatter than the '14 which was peaky. Hopefully it looks just like the Boss curve.

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But what I'm interested in knowing is what the torque curve from 1500 to 4250 looks like. Hopefully it ramps up more quickly.
As do I...CMCV don't fail us now :)

Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
I tweeted @FordService for a torque dyno graph for both the 2.3 and 5.0. We can calculate HP from that. Just playing with numbers quickly off of assumptions if the torque stays stable this thing will make some power.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
If I understand it correctly the manual gets the iron case and the automatic gets the aluminum case. - Reason for more weight gain on manuals vs. automatics. This also helps weight dist on V8. I don't know what the 9.75" reference is to. It's still a 8.8 rear end diameter. I think it is possibly to compare it to the equivalent strength of a 9.75" rear end in a 8.8 package. People writing have trouble expressing the technical data maybe. It's not clear if they asked but like everyone else I would like to see a dyno graph of the 2.3 and 5.0. I assume it it much flatter than the '14 which was peaky. Hopefully it looks just like the Boss curve.
I would take it to mean that the new axle adopted the larger 34T spline from the 9.75" axle. That would mean that the bearings for the diff have been upsized as well, which hopefully takes care of the 8.8" axle's diff bearing spin problem. But they've retained the 8.8" pitch diameter for the ring gear, although the other tread that this comes up shows that the pinion has also gotten beefier bearings. So, I think this means that they've basically reinforced the 8.8" by crossbreeding it with the 9.75...

OP
OP
Tony Alonso

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)