Sponsored

Replacing oil drain plug with Fumoto - same size as previous gen?

Rover Rover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Minor question, but looking to replace the drain plug with a Fumoto or Stahlbus after my first oil change. Anyone done this yet? Is the drain plug the same as all the other modern Toyota vehicles (M12 x 1.25mm)?

Fumoto website seems to think so, but the Toyota part for 2024 drain plug is different than others, so just checking if anyone has done this swap yet.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
Worst. Idea. Ever. Those plugs are super dangerous/risky on so many levels. Save your money‼

MPGunther

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma Sport
I'm sure Fumoto would be happy to refund your purchase if there's any issues. I've had one on my '21 since new and it's been a great product

OP
OP

Rover Rover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Worst. Idea. Ever. Those plugs are super dangerous/risky on so many levels. Save your money‼
I searched quite a bit for negative stories on these things, outside of over-torqueing it seems like people have found them quite useful and robust, especially those of who change oil more frequently. My gut reaction to initially learning about these was they did indeed seem like a high risk-vs-reward as far as introducing a failure point.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
If I did more technical offroading I probably wouldn't install one, but the convenience is really nice long term. I'm waiting to install one until after the Toyota care expires though.

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I searched quite a bit for negative stories on these things, outside of over-torqueing it seems like people have found them quite useful and robust, especially those of who change oil more frequently. My gut reaction to initially learning about these was they did indeed seem like a high risk-vs-reward as far as introducing a failure point.
You got it - well said. Are we that lazy when changing oil no matter the frequency that one of those is needed? Risk = reward, those plugs are simply not worth it. OE doesn’t use them from the factory, must be a reason, they've been around for years from different manufacturers all making the same claims and defending any negativity surrounding them.

They’re so dangerous - simply not worth any risk of what’s worked well since the beginning - a bolt and a gasket. As they say, there’s an ass for every seat, likely the same for this, there’s an uninformed for every one of those bolts made.

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure Fumoto would be happy to refund your purchase if there's any issues. I've had one on my '21 since new and it's been a great product
lets see if they’ll be willing to refund your engine if there are any issues, 😂

MPGunther

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma Sport
You got it - well said. Are we that lazy when changing oil no matter the frequency that one of those is needed? Risk = reward, those plugs are simply not worth it. OE doesn’t use them from the factory, must be a reason, they've been around for years from different manufacturers all making the same claims and defending any negativity surrounding them.

They’re so dangerous - simply not worth any risk of what’s worked well since the beginning - a bolt and a gasket. As they say, there’s an ass for every seat, likely the same for this, there’s an uninformed for every one of those bolts made.
I'm sure you can back it up with how dangerous they are. It's a convenience thing that you can put a plex hose on the end and open the valve thus not getting oil all over the top of the skid plate. As stated ,I've had mine for 3 years with absolutely no issues. I'm interested in knowing how smart you are on this product? You really think if it was so "dangerous" it would be on the market very long. You Do You and let others do their homework.

BLtheP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Off-Road

I can only see it being risky for those that are exposed and may be hit by something on the road, ripping them out of the oil pan. The device itself is very unlikely to leak on it's own. There is the potential for the lever to be lifted and rotated I guess, but still very unlikely and they sell a very stout spring loaded retention clip that you need pliers to remove if you're concerned about that. They are a handy little device to prevent wearing out the oil pan bolt threads and are low risk if protected by a skid plate.

If the oil pan bolt is exposed, then I completely agree, not worth it. But when it's concealed above a strong skid plate, and a strong spring keeping the arm from possibly being able to move, then I don't see how there is any risk.

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure you can back it up with how dangerous they are. It's a convenience thing that you can put a plex hose on the end and open the valve thus not getting oil all over the top of the skid plate. As stated ,I've had mine for 3 years with absolutely no issues. I'm interested in knowing how smart you are on this product? You really think if it was so "dangerous" it would be on the market very long. You Do You and let others do their homework.
Just doing the nice thing and warning the risk isn’t worth the benefit. I’d rather have oil all over the place, on the floor, on the skid plate than risk blowing up my engine with a leaking valve or a valve that gets caught on something, or some random person crawls under the vehicle and lets the oil out, and ruins an engine. oil gets changed twice a year. But like you said, you do you … and as I also said there’s a bum for every seat and there’s buyers for every product. Enjoy it ‼

OP
OP

Rover Rover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Sorry guys- didn't mean to stir the pot here. I do genuinely appreciate the viewpoints as I'd only been recommended one of these plugs recently. To be honest, I searched for quite a while and only came across 2 "larger" failures, none on a Tacoma, where it seems part of the material had worn off into the oil pan over time, which again could come from over torque of the part and causing undue stress on the material. All that said, had yet to find a failure of leaking out or breaking off-road, so I had considered giving these a try but didn't want to be the first to give it a fitting. I'm looking to baby this 4th gen with oil changes, turbo and whatnot.

MPGunther

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma Sport
Just doing the nice thing and warning the risk isn’t worth the benefit. I’d rather have oil all over the place, on the floor, on the skid plate than risk blowing up my engine with a leaking valve or a valve that gets caught on something, or some random person crawls under the vehicle and lets the oil out, and ruins an engine. oil gets changed twice a year. But like you said, you do you … and as I also said there’s a bum for every seat and there’s buyers for every product. Enjoy it ‼
You really don't know anything about this product do you 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sner

First Name
Sner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You really don't know anything about this product do you 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Nope. But I do know how to change oil without making a mess by removing a regular drain plug. Go ask your local dealer if they’d recommend one, or even go to your local quick lube place and ask if they’d recommend one.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
I guess my flaw is that I don't trust either of those places with service recommendations... (not sarcasm lol)