Sponsored

Polisher advice/recommendation needed

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thanks much for the advice guys!

Don’t laugh but this one says it’s DA; would that mean it’s orbital by definition? Otherwise does it seem like it would work?

I know it’s close to the same price as the Milwaukee but I’ve got a metric crapton of these batteries and chargers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-O...ery-and-18V-Charger-PBF100K/319360861#overlay

Edited to add:

If this one would work I can buy the tool with 3 pads for $129.00 delivered.
Dual Action, D/A, Orbital all me that the unit oscillates and rotates rather than just rotates in a single motion. DA machines are more user friendly than rotary, more suited to novices.

For what you intend to do, I think the Ryobi will be more than enough. If you already have the batteries, then just go for it.

Showing my ignorance here but if I’m not correcting so much as just applying wax and maybe light polish, do I need any more than a 5” plate and an 8mm throw?
The lower the throw, the lower the correcting ability of the machine. For wax application, an 8mm throw will be fine.

And Biggus, what about throw? Is 8mm enough? It looks like the 5” base plate is what I need but the throw lengths seem to vary from around 8” to 15” or more with the same 5” plate.

I can’t figure out what throw length I’d need for the type work I’d be doing. Stuff like this on Griot’s G15 long throw confuses things more:

”It should be noted that long-throw polishers are not ideally suited for application of waxes and sealants. Their large throw tends to cure the wax unevenly with the exception of our BOSS™ Finishing Sealant whose formula is designed to comply with the heat cycling of long-throw orbits. The G8 or G9 are our most suitable tools for wax application.”

Who knew polisher selection was complicated?
A couple of points I want to adress with this post -

-I have been using a 15mm throw 5 inch machine for both paint correction and wax application for a long time. I have not had any issues with wax application with the 15mm throw.

-I would definitely recommend sticking to a 5 inch base plate machine, teamed with 5.5 or 6.0 inch pads. Unless you are doing a lot of large trucks and SUV's, a 6 inch backing plate with a 6.5 or 7.0 inch pad is just not needed. I went from 6 inch machine to a 5 inch machine and love the smaller size, it's more versatile and just nicer to use.

This is a 5 inch / 15mm throw machine with a 6 inch pad applying Gyeon Q2 Wax -

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

Same machine and pad applying Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant -

dec299.jpg

Again, same machine, this time teamed with a 5.5 inch pad applying Collinite 845 -

IMG-2219.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Thanks much everybody.

I went ahead and ordered the Ryobi. Tool only (but includes several pads) was $129 and I had a $25 gift card, so $104 delivered to my door. At that price it seems like it’s worth a shot.

The YouTubers all seem to like the machine as long as it’s used for it‘s intended purposes and not put into professional service or something. We’ll see.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thanks much everybody.

I went ahead and ordered the Ryobi. Tool only (but includes several pads) was $129 and I had a $25 gift card, so $104 delivered to my door. At that price it seems like it’s worth a shot.

The YouTubers all seem to like the machine as long as it’s used for it‘s intended purposes and not put into professional service or something. We’ll see.
Well done, I think that will serve you well.

@WD Pro has the same machine -

Grabber Lime 2020 GT Build Thread | Page 26 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com
Grabber Lime 2020 GT Build Thread | Page 27 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

jonesy67

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
V6
I recommend looking into the ONEVAN cordless car polisher. It's lightweight, easy to handle, and offers excellent performance for maintaining your Mustangs. The random orbital action ensures safe and efficient polishing, while the compact size allows for easy maneuverability in tight spaces.

Last edited:

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Milwaukee 15mm M18 is the way to go! I just ordered mine! You should order some hexlogic pads off amazon too!

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Milwaukee 15mm M18 is the way to go!
Right off the bat OP, I'm wondering how you pronounce "samer," is it a short "A" (sAmmer) or a long "A?" <grin> Yeah, I think about such obtuse things all the time. <bigger grin>

Back to the subject.

I switched from Dewalt cordless to Milwaukee a couple years ago and have been very satisfied with the four or five I've purchased. However, because a polisher needs a right angled "transmission," that uses worm gears which take some very serious abuse and, over an extended period of time, my experience tells me to go with the highest quality gearbox.

MOF, I have had at least one Dewalt cordless driver/drill where one or both of the worm gears stripped out and had to be discarded. (It lasted MANY years and I wasn't going to whine to Dewalt for replacement.)

Consequently if I were choosing a polisher today, I would fall back on one of my top commandments,

"Buy cheap, buy twice,"

..and I would very probably choose a Rupes despite twice the price, and as I mentioned above, I would go with a corded model.

That said, I am quite sure that the Milwaukee engineers tested your polisher until the cows came home and designed accordingly for the release product, so odds are, you may never have the gearbox problem, at least I hope not although I'm reasonably sure that they would send you a new one in the box.
Sponsored