Sponsored

jdmz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD Offroad
This video is what made me cancel my hybrid order and buy my TRD Offroad nonhybrid last weekend lol!
Sponsored

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
For those with experience on "turbo lag" (or lack there off), what about from a complete stop? That is where I notice it the most with our Subaru Ascent. Given that also has a CVT so it has multiple things working against it. It is VERY frustrating to be trying to merge into traffic, put the pedal to the floor, and then have to wait a full second to get much power.
I did notice minor lag on the new Tacoma from a stop, similar to most 4cyl turbos, but it's very brief in comparison to others. I'm getting the hybrid because I will be doing mostly City or offroad driving, so it will save a bit of gas on my commute and have plenty of torque when I want it, but the other aspect I'm looking forward to is getting entirely rid of that minor lag from a stop.

FirstTimeTruckBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
For those with experience on "turbo lag" (or lack there off), what about from a complete stop? That is where I notice it the most with our Subaru Ascent. Given that also has a CVT so it has multiple things working against it. It is VERY frustrating to be trying to merge into traffic, put the pedal to the floor, and then have to wait a full second to get much power.
I just rented a TRD Off-Road to drive from Atlanta, GA to Roanoke, VA and put over 1000 miles on the truck. I used this as an opportunity to try the truck before I buy one this Fall. I experienced virtually no turbo lag, even in Eco mode, and having that low-end torque was really nice. I found the throttle to be responsive off the line and the 8-speed auto had no trouble finding the right gear and was smooth.

BTW, I currently drive a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek with the CVT. It doesn’t have a turbo, but it definitely lags when I press the accelerator to the floor from a stop, like a full second. So I know how frustrating that can be, especially when merging into traffic. The Tacoma by comparison felt much more responsive and faster than my Subaru. I had no issues merging into traffic or passing vehicles on the highway. Going from my Subaru to the Tacoma felt like I had a V8 under the hood, lol. I was definitely impressed. The non-hybrid Tacoma has more than enough power for my needs.

KingsofPop

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SR5 ACLB
Where did you rent a 4th gen? Been thinking about doing the same, even for a week, before buying it.

I just rented a TRD Off-Road to drive from Atlanta, GA to Roanoke, VA and put over 1000 miles on the truck. I used this as an opportunity to try the truck before I buy one this Fall. I experienced virtually no turbo lag, even in Eco mode, and having that low-end torque was really nice. I found the throttle to be responsive off the line and the 8-speed auto had no trouble finding the right gear and was smooth.

BTW, I currently drive a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek with the CVT. It doesn’t have a turbo, but it definitely lags when I press the accelerator to the floor from a stop, like a full second. So I know how frustrating that can be, especially when merging into traffic. The Tacoma by comparison felt much more responsive and faster than my Subaru. I had no issues merging into traffic or passing vehicles on the highway. Going from my Subaru to the Tacoma felt like I had a V8 under the hood, lol. I was definitely impressed. The non-hybrid Tacoma has more than enough power for my needs.

FirstTimeTruckBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
Where did you rent a 4th gen? Been thinking about doing the same, even for a week, before buying it.
The Enterprise in Woodstock, GA happened to have a 2024 Tacoma available. I was surprised they had one, let alone a TRD Off-Road (was expecting an SR5 for fleet). It only had 1100 miles when we picked it up. We drove it about 1200 miles and had it four days. I actually just dropped it off a few minutes ago, if you want to snag it. 🙂 But it looks like you’re located on the west coast. Maybe an Enterprise in your area has one. Good luck!

2024 Tacoma Hybrid 2024 Tacoma TRD Pro – Real World MPG HIghway Fuel Economy + Range Test @ 70 MPH IMG_1077

KingsofPop

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SR5 ACLB
Enterprise! Gotcha. Yeah I’m going to dig around for one, and see if I can rent one. Not sure if I’ll do a road trip, but even an average commute in a week would be great. Thanks for the tip!

How’d you feel with the rear coil springs instead of leaf springs? I’ve driven the R5, which still had leave

The Enterprise in Woodstock, GA happened to have a 2024 Tacoma available. I was surprised they had one, let alone a TRD Off-Road (was expecting an SR5 for fleet). It only had 1100 miles when we picked it up. We drove it about 1200 miles and had it four days. I actually just dropped it off a few minutes ago, if you want to snag it. 🙂 But it looks like you’re located on the west coast. Maybe an Enterprise in your area has one. Good luck!

IMG_1077.jpeg

FirstTimeTruckBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
I rented one over last weekend from my local Toyota dealer. Many dealers offer this service, check there first
Interesting! I didn’t realize dealerships rented vehicles. The next time I want to rent a specific vehicle, I’ll check there too. My employer has a partnership with Enterprise, so I get a nice discount on personal rentals. Thanks for the info.

FirstTimeTruckBuyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
Enterprise! Gotcha. Yeah I’m going to dig around for one, and see if I can rent one. Not sure if I’ll do a road trip, but even an average commute in a week would be great. Thanks for the tip!

How’d you feel with the rear coil springs instead of leaf springs? I’ve driven the R5, which still had leave
I can’t speak to the leaf vs coil springs on the Tacoma specifically, as this was the first I’ve driven. I have owned/driven older Jeeps (XJs and YJs) with leaf springs and I can at least say that the new TRD Off-Road is more comfortable than those Jeeps were. 😁 But honestly, both my girlfriend and I found the Tacoma’s ride comfortable the entire seven hours we were on the road (I cannot tolerate more than nine hours of straight driving in any vehicle). However, when we hit a pot hole or washed out road, the Tacoma reminded us we were in a body on frame truck, not a cushy unibody crossover. But I actually don’t mind some road feedback every now and then. My Subaru Crosstrek (which I’ve driven for 10.5 years now) has a stiff ride and I didn’t find the Tacoma any less comfortable. Overall, I figure if I can tolerate a long road trip in this truck, my hour commute to work shouldn’t be a problem either.
Sponsored