Sponsored

Hard-Roll Up Tonneau with Bed Rack - Compatibility?

theKurt

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I would like a hard roll-up tonneau but I also want the option of adding a bed rack. I'm looking at the Truxedo Sentry and the Bak Revolver but finding a bed rack compatible with these is limited.

KB Voodoo racks seem to be compatible, but their aluminum rack is $2K USD, which is twice the price of other quality racks and doesn't seem to justify itself.
RCI has adapters that raise their rack by 3" and claim to be compatible with the Revolver. The change in height is messing with my head though as to which rack to match with my truck and keep it out of my line of sight through the rear window but not protrude over the cab and look.....wonky.

Anyone else have experience with pairing hard roll ups with racks?
Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP

theKurt

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
I have considered a retrax. At this time, I think I want it to roll up over the bed rather than down into it. I do like the x4ts, so that is definitely on my radar to watch for its release.

I have to do some measurements yet, but my reasoning behind this is when putting a motorcycle or bicycle in the back (yep, its a short bed, but I have some ideas to try out).

If the tonneau rolls up, then my logic says that it would be out of the way of the tires if pushed up against the front of the bed. Again, I need to take some measurements to see if this is a real thing or any cover I get will be in the way regardless. Ease of removal might be important.

I'll need to find a cover pretty soon. It seems there are compatible bed racks, so the tonneau itself probably isn't the limiting factor.

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Not sure about the x4 line, but the Sentry CT is really easy to completely remove. Just roll it up then release 2 locks at the front of the bed and lift it off.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2
I have the 8" Billie bars installed and currently waiting for the Revolver X4S to ship. They said the lead time is ~3 weeks (2 weeks remaining).

I'm hoping the cover can roll most of the way open but may get hung up on the rail nearest to the cab. I went this route because it felt like the most economical way get decent security while having a rooftop tent installed. I imagine I'll be one of the first to have this kind of setup so I'll post pictures once the cover arrives and have a chance to install.

Expecting I may have to modify one or the other to make them compatible, but optimistic I can use 3rd Gen install tips to make it work.

OP
OP

theKurt

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Thank you all for your info. Not sure which I’ll go with, but I find this valuable. Thank you.

KB Voodoo

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Gladiator, Raptor
I would like a hard roll-up tonneau but I also want the option of adding a bed rack. I'm looking at the Truxedo Sentry and the Bak Revolver but finding a bed rack compatible with these is limited.

KB Voodoo racks seem to be compatible, but their aluminum rack is $2K USD, which is twice the price of other quality racks and doesn't seem to justify itself.
RCI has adapters that raise their rack by 3" and claim to be compatible with the Revolver. The change in height is messing with my head though as to which rack to match with my truck and keep it out of my line of sight through the rear window but not protrude over the cab and look.....wonky.

Anyone else have experience with pairing hard roll ups with racks?
Thanks.
Take a look at the steel KB Voodoo racks. They will work for you and they're half the cost of aluminum.
Sponsored